Oh, What a GORGEOUS Autumn!!!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Oct 14, 2021.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    With so much not right in the world I find myself looking for things that are. Family, friends, the absolute stunning beauty of nature.

Needing such I rejoice not to be disappointed. Have I ever seen a more perfectly gorgeous Autumn? I think not. Have YOU?

So much autumnal beauty depends on intangibles. The media 'round here -- where the economy is so boosted by 'leaf peepers' (as visitors to our autumnal delights have come to be affectionately known) -- tends to call every year "the Best Ever!!!" Including some I remember where the color was nothing special at all. -At least not to a long-time New Englander. (Perhaps we become jaded to the beauty?)

But this year? Oh, yes!

I'm going camera nutty with it. And have a backlog of photos worth sharing, some of which I may post here.

For now I'll choose this one - taken very early this morning as I walked thru the back meadow looking down slope towards our 'in project' "South Cottage."

SC on an Early Autumn Morn.jpg

How about where you are? Are you, too, seeing an Autumn to remember?

-don

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    fattboyzz, hneel, Treynor and 11 others like this.
  2. M T Poteet

M T Poteet Squier Talker

Aug 17, 2021
    CO
  3. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Autumns here in NorCal are nothing too exciting visually, the predominant Oaks kinda get brown and dry looking and then the leaves are gone. But it has cooled off considerably from the scorching summer, and there's even some desperately needed rain in the forecast (many years we don't see rain until Thanksgiving) so I'm a happy autumn boy.

I do understand that back in my native homeland of Utah, they had some pretty nice fall colors in the mountains. I miss that, downright amazing up there some years

4. driver8

driver8 Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2020
    NY
    Is it autumn?? The leaves are still green here, and 70F. Usually we've had snow flurries by now! Can't say I'm not liking it, tho ;-)

Very nice picture, btw. Those purple areas look very Van Gogh :cool:

5. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    Fantastic photo!

JurnyWannaBe, duceditor and driver8 like this.
  6. Slacker G

Slacker G Squier-Meister

Sep 6, 2021
    Iowa
    The leaves are icky brown... and the skies are grey.

grizzlewulf likes this.
  7. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    :(

-don

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  8. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    That's not quite how I remember the lyrics to that one

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  9. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    Still mostly green my place, which is very uncommon but I found one red tree and it's gorgeous.
    1634231791737.jpg

10. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Bumnitude! Glorious bumnitude!

Well, that's part of retirement, is't it? And this glorious season adds to the reward! :)

Thruout the summer I spend time most days on the porch. Sometimes with a guitar, sometimes with a book. And the unexpectedly mild weather (mid 70s f today) coupled with the glorious view has enticed me out there again.

The view from what I somewhat vaingloriously call "my Reading Station" as it looks right now...

My Reading Station WEB.jpg

Add a good good book (in this case a good book about The Good Book) and it gets double nice.

Porch Reading.jpg

Yup! Bumnitude. Glorious, glorious bumnitude!

:D

-don

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  11. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    "Out Back on a Mid-October Afternoon"

Out Back - Mid October Afternoon W7c.jpg

-don

12. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Looking really gorgeous out in your neck of the woods, Don! I need to go out east and see autumn from your perspective sometime. It's not quite as pretty here in the west, although we do have our moments. Like the larches up in Banff.

13. Slacker G

Slacker G Squier-Meister

Sep 6, 2021
    Iowa
    Duceditor Colors look over saturated but it's pretty. What camera are you using?

Angry Possum and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  14. Benlostforyears

Benlostforyears Squier-Nut

Aug 17, 2020
    Western NC
    Well here in the mountains of Western NC we would normally have quite a show by now buts it's been in the 80's and dry for the last week so not much color yet. Hopefully soon we will have this again though (pics from 2 years ago).

20191027_134536.jpg 20191027_134445.jpg 20191027_134451.jpg

15. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Some are simply 'shot' with an iPhone. Others with a Canon T2i with any one of several lenses.

That said, I do favor wide angle glass. My Canon EF-S 10-22 ultra wide zoom is my favorite lens of all time.

The iPhone is often used in Pana mode, and sometimes with some added wide angle glass.

I often underexpose and then 'dig out the shadows" to use the old chemicals and film days phrase. (Such still works for me) :) And my images -- even the most simple of them -- are often created in many layers.

My goal since my retirement (well, before that in personal images) from a career centered on imagine for science and medicine is not so much representing what the camera sees (I did plenty of that!) as what I, myself, see. The world that exists in my head.

But the beauty is certainly real! And not rarely entirely breathtaking.

-don

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  16. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    Beautiful pics Don. It's also very beautiful where I live, the colors are amazing.

17. OOMTOM

OOMTOM Squier-Meister

Jun 19, 2021
    Johannesburg South Africa
    For my education Don what is the origin of Bumnitude Tom

Angry Possum and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  18. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Squier-holic

Feb 14, 2019
    I live in East Central GA and it's like @Benlostforyears said about NC. We're still in the 80's. Our leaves are falling, but there's no color to speak of :(

Angry Possum likes this.
  19. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    As always, nice photos Don, looks like a peaceful zone you got there, The Hobbits Shire like, if you will. Thanks for sharing your view w us.

We have a beautiful Autumn here in NY. It was 80 plus degrees yesterday, October 15th. Perhaps Autumn will be slightly delayed with all the warm temps here as of late. Autumn can be very spectacular in the East.

duceditor and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  20. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    My wife and I were in Ithaca NY a couple of weeks ago but the leaves hadn't really started to turn yet. It's a gorgeous place anyway. My wife is going again over the Halloween weekend so she'll get to see all the leaves. She's flying this time so I'm staying home with the dog.

Angry Possum and duceditor like this.