Oh, That Black Holiday!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by duceditor, Aug 2, 2020 at 8:48 AM.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I've posted about this guitar before, as, indeed, I have about others. But now as time of ownership has gone by, and now past the "new and exciting" phase that for me comes with ownership if most guitars, I've realized that this instrument is truly something special.

Yesterday I shared this with a new Supro group that was formed on Facebook, and it expresses so perfectly what this guitar has come to mean to me -- and why -- that I thought I'd share it here.

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 8.43.22 AM.png Supro Black Holiday .jpg

-don

2. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    Stunning looking guitar, it sounds like its beautiful. Its great that you found the perfect fit. The guitar sounds like she is perfect for you :)

3. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yes! The feel is almost magical.

When I first got it I used it much as I use my beloved P90-equipped guitars. Driving amp's to their sweet spot and beyond.

But of late I have discovered the joy of allowing it to have its own voice -- one less dependent on the amp and more revealing of the guitar's own tone.

That vid I posted last week of "I Went Down to the River" is this to the extreme. Much of the sound on the video comes from the guitar itself, with the amp (a small, battery powered, Vox) just filling out the bottom.

I expect that vid -- as stretching as it was for me musically -- will be just the beginning of where this guitar and I go together.

To "discover" something like this at my stage in life is rather amazing. And thrilling! :)

-don

4. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    Don, I just acquired a mint 2017 Supro Hampton a couple of days ago. I was looking for something different than the typical body types and configurations and this guitar fits the bill. I'm actually blown away at the tone of the pickups. The tonal range with the 3 pickups and 5 way switch is incredible. It sounds so darn good! Your praise about your 2 Supro influenced me to research these guitars. I'm so glad that I found this guitar and bought it. I sold one of my Fender Teles that wasn't getting much love and some pedals that were not being used to pay for it. I'm impressed with the versatility of this guitar as well. I've been playing different types of music lately and I can do it all with this Supro. I can see why you like these amazing instruments so much

20200801_045034.jpg

duceditor and Taurus like this.
  5. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    Imagine for a moment, that only one type of guitar existed? Somehow we would all make it work, and create music and find joy in our endeavor. But how cool is it, that there are seemingly endless choices in instruments, with tonal, aesthetic, and tactile variations for us all to enjoy.

The Black Holiday was chosen by me simply for its looks, having never played, or even heard one before I made the purchase. The looks did not disappoint, but it did not become the guitar I loved, as neither did the sister White Holiday.

But you never know until you try, and it makes me so happy that Don has found that magical/mystical connection that we are all likely searching for each time we make a new purchase. We can attempt to describe in words, but ultimately the X-factor/ Mojo/magic is a visceral reaction that is unique and deeply personal.

And finally, when you find it, you know it and can be sure it does not have to be a universal truth, as it is true to you.

Taurus likes this.
  6. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA

Well said.

It was your posting initially that made me aware of these guitars. And I bought, first, the White Holiday based on it being something different -- having that acoustic piezo PUP -- and the fact that it was a super bargain. Its quality was apparent from day one and with discount points from that purchase plus a refund because the hard case -- thrown into the WH deal -- was imperfect, I was able to get the BH for maybe $270 with a hard case.

Wowza, thought I.

Time, though, has not made me fall in love with the White. Well, apart from the looks that is. It is GORGEOUS. But the PUPs are too different in volume and it just hasn't done that thing with me.

I originally thought I'd like the Black Holiday less. It'd not having a trem being why. But oh, what a surprise it has become.

Great feel. Great tone. Beauty. And it is s, so light!

Its rarity adds to the fun. Looks, yeah, but the sound too. Not just "another" Tele or Strat or LP. Even rare and more unique than a Dano!

But A#1 is the music, and yes, there it happened for me.

No guarantee that it would, but it did. Man and machine.

Funny that!

:)

-don