Off topic— piano

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Rollmeaway, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    My mother and father in law passed away and their three sons are just clearing out the house to sell it.

They just got a dumpster and are throwing everything away me and my wife are too sick to travel to even get a few sentimental items from them.

Anyway there is an 80 plus year old Wurlitzer baby grand piano they are going to discard because they’re too lazy to search for a new owner. My mother in law was the only owner and it has been kept in excellent condition. If anyone wants it or knows anyone who might want it, it’s free. You just have to move it, which is a chore. Here are some low quality pictures they sent me.
    7844FD3E-7AEF-4F8E-A2B9-D47813FDD447.jpeg 19614F3F-50F1-431B-BB1E-650BE8F9D350.jpeg AF6A07A6-61B5-4DAD-8630-2FED660D7C69.jpeg 6F744ED9-D1DE-4D7A-A3D5-FA38F6330964.jpeg

It’s located in lower Westchester County, NY
    My. Vernon, NY

2. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Dude! I was about to ask for contact info thinking Fayetteville. Son of a gun, I know some folks in NC who would love it.

On another note, good to see ya here. Hope that lovely piano finds a new home.

VealCutlet and Rollmeaway like this.
  3. HerkHurtubise

HerkHurtubise Squier Talker

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    Sorry to hear about the In Laws...Wish I lived in your area. Beautiful instrument that deserves to be looked after properly. Hope someone does so...

Rollmeaway and Afrika61 like this.
  4. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    When my mother downsized, she gave her piano to a rural (small budget)church. They picked it up from her place. I suppose Craigslist and FBM are options too.

@Eddie - do you still have contacts at Steinway who might know what to do?

-r3- and Rollmeaway like this.
  5. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Dan, that is a severe temptation because although my Lisa plays bass guitar, she Also plays piano and has wanted something like this for a LONG time,...
    And it's good to see you around here Old Friend: Welcome Back.

Rollmeaway likes this.
  6. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    Such a shame. My brother-in-law put it on Craigslist with no takers for about a month. The pictures do not do this fine instrument justice. They want to close out the house ASAP. So it either goes to the new owner if they want it or out on the street.

My brothers in law are heartless SOBs. They emptied three dumpsters full of almost 100 years of their parents lives. Everything china, silverware, my father in laws military records and uniforms. They wouldn't even advertise in the local paper for a free pick and haul it. So many suits from my father-in-law. He was a sharp dresser. Just thrown into the dump. They were too lazy to bring stuff to goodwill or the Salvation Army. I might try calling some churches in Mt. Vernon, NY to see if they want it. I have many years hearing my mother-in-law and my wife playing it. It breaks my heart. Its just too big to move. Probably four men with experience moving pianos.

Loin Lover and grizzlewulf like this.
  7. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    A baby grand is the easiest piano to move, you take the legs off, strap the lid closed, and carry it sideways. It’s literally one of the few pianos you don’t need professional movers for.

Caddy, ALinPHL, duceditor and 4 others like this.
  8. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California

This makes me sick. This is one of the reasons our landfills are such a problem, people throw away everything. So wasteful. There are companies/people who would gladly run an estate sale for them, they wouldn't have to lift a finger. And even if they didn't make a lot of profit, at least they'd save money on dumpsters.

Rollmeaway and Afrika61 like this.
  9. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    Exactly! I told them to do that. Not even an estate sale, but an estate give away. So much stuff. My mother-in-law was so proud of her house. She had gold plated dinner ware, beautiful china closets. She lived to be 94, most of it in that house. If I'm not mistaken, it took three dumpsters to haul away so far and they haven't got to the basement yet.

Loin Lover and grizzlewulf like this.
  10. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier-Meister

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    Sorry to hear about your loss. I'd be in the car to get it if I wasn't halfway across the world. That's such a great piano and I've wanted a wurlitzer since forever, they're so iconic.

Rollmeaway likes this.
  11. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    One would think there's donation takers.

I had a 100 watt Marshall half stack that was too big so I donated it. Youth Center.

Rollmeaway and guitarmikey like this.
  12. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    In twenty years or so so wag is going to post on some musician's forum somewhere that he discovered a really cool instrument. It is called a "piano." Sounds unbelievably huge and doesn't even need electricity!!!

Then the searches will begin. And the prices will quickly skyrocket out of reach.

Of course for that to happen another to me crazy trend will first have to reverse. People allowing themselves to be talked out of having space to live as if that was somehow reserved solely for "The Master."

-don

Rollmeaway and ALinPHL like this.
  13. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    Sorry to here about all the foolish treatment of your in-laws belongs, but sadly alot of people are just looking for that quick spending money. I moved a 110 year old piano this past weekend. The lady lived in a nice house and wanted it gone. Her son was trying to help her and started tearing it apart. When they looked at the string frame they looked up the company and found out it was worth 10,000, but the damage had been done so we cut and hammered it to load in my truck. The one they are going to destroy in your case is an absolute no no. There is a piano store near me that would grab that in a minute. I will call them and maybe they would make the trip. Heck it would only be a few days and a few hours of work.

Rollmeaway and Viking like this.
  14. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
  15. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Rollmeaway and -r3- like this.
  16. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    I will send all the suggestions you guys made to my brother-in-law and hopefully put this thing into good hands.
    I appreciate all the information, y'all.

Viking and Loin Lover like this.