NWGA DAY (wireless guitar adapter)

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by radiotech, Jul 20, 2021 at 7:17 AM.

1. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    While I don’t have a dedicated studio space in the new place. I do have a combined family room/music space in a 20x20 addition, but it’s not somewhere I can leave cables laying out and connected like previously. I have a rehearsal setup for playing out (mainly acoustic), but it requires a bit of rearranging to play electric or bass when the fancy hits me.

I’d been eying a wireless adapter for a while, but being cheap, and not needing it had stopped me from getting one. Well, an Amazon gift card from my wife changed that (other reviews in coming days for other items). Joyo has their unit for an extra 15% taking the price down to $33. I received it over the weekend.
    5EF0CDEE-4670-4BE8-A50E-8E572D940398.jpeg

I imagine most of you have seen these Joyo units (or identical units under different names). They rotate 220 degrees for any type of jack, and can cycle through 3 different frequencies in 4 channel banks (12 possible channels) if you’re having noise/interference on the one it auto selects. Pairing has been automatic for me every time, even when cycling frequencies (the manual tells you what to do if it doesn’t pair automatically). Only two buttons (power, and paring, both described in the above link), it’s very simple.

Sound is very good, but a bit lower in volume than when plugging a cable in on passive instruments (it may be also with preamp equipped guitars, but I couldn’t really notice it side-by-side like I could with passive ones). There is also a very slight delay (latency) when playing, it’s not much, but it’s noticeable compared to using a 20 foot cable to the other side of the room.

Charging, and operation is dead simple. LED’s are Orange charging, and off when charged (a single USB “Y” cable charges both simultaneously), flashing blue when connecting, and solid blue when connected.

D1ADF17E-7528-4047-81F6-BB4FD8FBFBC1.jpeg

…and if you cover the nameplate, it looks like Batman…
    243966E7-B17F-450E-B96F-F97C08E9CADF.jpeg
    (They do call it the “Super Hero” model).

I don’t know if I’ll gig with it, so it’s mainly for home as of now.
    It is the most expensive guitar cable I’ve ever had. :D

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021 at 8:13 AM
    drewcp, SoCalJim, vlxerdon and 4 others like this.
  2. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Once you have 'em you wonder how you lived without 'em.

And apart from the basic 'replace cable' use they can do much more.

I use then, for instance, so that a single signal can go to multiple amps. Also, while feeding my chosen amp the same output is read by an electronic tuner 'pedal" on the floor and by my harmony producer to know the key, chord and pitch I am playing.

Plus remember: Clean floors mean a clean mind! :)

-don

3. LzeroKI

LzeroKI Squier-Meister

Jan 13, 2014
    North Carolina
    I know a lot of folks on ST probably have these so this isn't news to them, but for "music room" playing at home, these completely eliminate my need for long cables running on the floor to my bass/guitar. I'll need to look into a second set to switch my pedal chain between my guitar amp and bass amp, thanks for the idea Don!

4. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
  5. islandadventure

islandadventure Squier Talker

Aug 17, 2018
    Canada
    I'm curious - why are you not sure you would gig with it?

Thanks for posting, I'm curious about these inexpensive things and how they compare sound quality and latency wise to more expensive wireless units. Does anyone have real life experience with both expensive VS these?

Thanks in advance.

SoCalJim and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

I've been using the Xvive U2 for a couple years now. I have not had any problems at all, either at practice of gigs. Playing time is around 5-6 hours after a 45 minute charge.

7. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Ive heard from several folks that really luv these little units ;)

Congrats on the new gear !

8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I just got my live rig together recently, and since it’s just me, a Yamaha mixer, and small Kustom PA (for Smaller places, just my Fender Acoustasonic), it seems unnecessary to have a wireless when the mixer (or amp) is less than three feet away.

SoCalJim likes this.
  9. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Very handy when you want to wander down to the back of the room and hear how you sound from out front or need to get another beer from the bar...;)

10. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Baby steps… I’m happy to unplug/put the guitar down for a break, it’s been working just fine for the last couple years. Also: The delay is slight, but puts me off a bit, so I’d rather not.

I bought this primarily for home.

SoCalJim likes this.
  11. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I used a Nady True Diversity system about 20 years ago, cost me an arm and a leg. When it worked properly it was great, when it didn't it was a disaster. I used it mainly as described above, the rest of the time I used a cable. :D I have a cheap Geetaria set now, just for noodling.

SoCalJim and radiotech like this.
  12. islandadventure

Aug 17, 2018
    Canada
    To be clear, I'm not in any way trying to sway the OP to going wireless at a gig but I wanted to thumbs-up the comment re checking sound etc... I've been going wireless for guitar, bass and vocals for many years (decades, now) and find it invaluable for sound checks through the night. It allows me to know when I need to EQ, adjust volume/s and give band mates (when I have 'em) a tweaking. I find that room dynamics change if the crowd size ebbs and flows and gets more or less noisy and being able to get out front and move around the room while playing/singing is a massive plus.

Again, this is a general comment and not directed at the OP and his/her preference for going corded at a gig.

beagle likes this.
  13. islandadventure

Aug 17, 2018
    Canada
    Thanks for the reply

14. islandadventure

Aug 17, 2018
    Canada
    Gotcha - any delay that is noticeable is enough to put me off the product. Thanks for sharing your experience with it, I'll not be buying one.

radiotech likes this.