Nut Replacement Question

enggass

Squier Talker
Sep 17, 2022
Maine
So I’m looking to replace the nut on my new Classic Vibe 60s Tele. Slots, especially low e, cut way too deep. Do I need a flat bottom nut or curved bottom? Thanks. Steve.

Nov 24, 2018
Idaho
If you didn't want to go that route, there is some easy fixes.
I cut a sliver off of one of my pics and glue it in the slot with CA glue then re-cut the slot if it needs it. I did this very trick last night actually. It works great and easy to do. I make the sliver long enough to handle it with my fingers and then trim it flush with fingernail clippers.
There also the CA glue and baking soda.

Diavolo

Squier-Nut
Jan 3, 2022
USA
So I’m looking to replace the nut on my new Classic Vibe 60s Tele. Slots, especially low e, cut way too deep. Do I need a flat bottom nut or curved bottom? Thanks. Steve.
if you want to replace it then i would suggest removing it and finding out for yourself which one you need.
not sure if they used different nuts for different years, or factories but you didnt inform us when and where yours was made.

if just the low e is cut too deep theres easy ways to fix that other than replacement.
if multiple string slots are cut too deep, then just take the nut out, and put a couple layers of tape on the bottom of the nut, trim around the edges and then stick it back in.

Boyd L

Squier-Meister
Dec 11, 2021
Kentucky
if just the low e is cut too deep theres easy ways to fix that other than replacement.
if multiple string slots are cut too deep, then just take the nut out, and put a couple layers of tape on the bottom of the nut, trim around the edges and then stick it back in.
+1
I've done this on two strats and an acoustic guitar bridge. Its worked for me.

Shaytan

Squier-holic
Apr 10, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
+1
I've done this on two strats and an acoustic guitar bridge. Its worked for me.

I'll say it... this is the MacGyver solution, however! If it's stupid but it works, it ain't stupid!

My OCD wouldn't allow me to do this, every time I thought about the guitar, the fact I had a piece of tape, of all things! serving as a shim, would make me forever feel bad with myself (not too far off how this sort of janky things do affect me), but it should be fine. It won't be a slice of paper that'll suck all the tone and life out of the instrument, though I'd still prefer a new nut made.

Diavolo

Squier-Nut
Jan 3, 2022
USA
I'll say it... this is the MacGyver solution, however! If it's stupid but it works, it ain't stupid!

My OCD wouldn't allow me to do this, every time I thought about the guitar, the fact I had a piece of tape, of all things! serving as a shim, would make me forever feel bad with myself (not too far off how this sort of janky things do affect me), but it should be fine. It won't be a slice of paper that'll suck all the tone and life out of the instrument, though I'd still prefer a new nut made.

I have used paper too.
The tape is easy since it sticks to the bottom. I can't tell if you're joking about sucking tone, but there isn't any sort of loss of tone or sustain from shimming a nut