NUGD

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by nitro, Mar 28, 2017.

1. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    IMG_0468.JPG IMG_0467.JPG

Here's chewy with her new neck in place but not attached. And her original neck to show the difference.

I'm really diggin the grain and thinking about a tram finish in yellow. I don't have anything like that wood to try things on.

I'd used some scrap pine and used the x2 Rusto yellow as planned and it looked ok. I know this won't be the last time I do a repainted and I'm afraid I won't see that kind of grain again . So I'm gonna find some tint to dye it with. I'll save the paint for the next one.

DaveDrums and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Do any of you guys know if food coloring mixed with denatured alcohol would tint the wood better than ritz clothing dye?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

five teles and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  4. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    The new neck came ! that grain is too nice to completely cover on that body ! I agree ! I'm watching the same dye sampler as M7 - I've never done that before though, Chef is using something cool also - wipe on finish from wudtone - check their website or YT videos - looks pretty nice and simple ?

5. eaglesgift

eaglesgift Squier-Meister

Apr 18, 2014
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    As the very edge of the body looks a little rough, I'd go for a vintage sunburst so you can cover it while still allowing the grain to show through on the main part.

6. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Hey thanks guys, Like anything else I'm about sack deep in my learning curve. So far the ritz liquid clothing dyes aren't getting it done. She's sanded down a bit smoother now and I was able to blend the edge of the top and make it look at least a bit more consistent and even as far as where the top blends into the body. Gone is the nice sharp 90 degree change from the top and back into the sides. Now it has a nice smooth transition , but not to rounded.

I'm definitely gonna try that Keda wood dye kit , thanks for the heads up Micheal7. And you were right Ken I've got another strat body that I'm gonna tackle in the near future.

Momma Nitro has her heart set on the original color she picked out for this one. I'm the one that keep changing my mind.

On a separate note. I'm also new to tele pickups . I am gonna get them from Ken at rose pickups , I'm just not really sure which ones sound like what. Any of you guys have any experience with any of them. Are his p90s still built to look like tele pickups or are they sized more like humbucker's.

Thanks again for all your advice and encouragement.

7. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Oh boy , the day is finally here that I can put a finish back on "chewy".

Earlier I'd shown that the old finish was cracked at the neck pocket. IMG_0325.JPG IMG_0375.JPG
    And this is what I did with it, IMG_0472.JPG IMG_0473.JPG
    Once I'd drill a hole at what I'd assumed the crack angle would be, I then filled it with thin ca glue then filled the crack inside and outside the neck pocket. Let it dry a good 4 hours then filled and sanded it again.

I just got the body all wiped down with naphtha and letting it dry. Then I'm gonna take a tak cloth to it and apply the first light coat of primer.

OzinKY likes this.
  8. nicod98

nicod98 Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2014
    Belgium
    Nice.... apparently doing this all barefoot...:cool:

9. Garyth

Garyth Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2013
    Florida
    It's the only way. shoes break your touch with nature and insulates you from properly feeling the resonance of the tone wood that you are working on.

I never wear shoes ..............

10. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Exactly! Full connection to the wood is completely necessary!

Ok, here's some pics of what I've gotten done so far, 51580655172__E165D0CD-9E61-4992-88C9-C4452A97A0C7.JPG 51580653950__9B16D5C8-7015-43EC-9D34-BC4F5056A000.JPG
    And I got four color coats plus the tack coat to get it started, IMG_0480.JPG IMG_0481.JPG

Haven't touched her since about six yesterday. That's about when I'll get home tonight. I've got to level sand the front n back. Got a couple of runs to get rid of. Then it's getting two more color coats . Hopefully tomorrow night I'll be able to move on with a couple of coats of clear poly, then a nice coat of pearlescent clear for a touch of shimmer, then another coat of clear. And then , Im gonna use some brown to give it a burst effect, maybe. Gonna wait and see how it turns out first.

More to come . Keep in mind that all these Coates are being done as lightly as possible. And I'm hoping by this weekend to be able to start the final clear coating process. Then next week will be all cure time.

11. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    It's official! I hate this paint. At least in this color anyway.

12. mdparent03

mdparent03 Squier-holic

May 6, 2013
    Beaumont, CA
    Looks good so far. I'm watching this one for sure.

13. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Sometimes you have to back up to go forward. Next time, it's definitely gonna be a hand rubbed finish. IMG_0488.JPG IMG_0489.JPG

I did find some thing I could paint halfway well...
    IMG_0487.JPG

14. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    If you could lay that on the body like a stencil - now we're talkin ! I'm liking this yellow and I'm glad your taking your time - make her as nice as you can !

15. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    Hey Ken, man I ain't had nothing but trouble with painting this dang thing. And I'm sure the majority of the trouble is me. I'm trying really hard to do this well, most of it is I just cant see where the paint is light or heavy already. I'm making what I feel are nice smooth even passes. and when it first hit's it looks lighter in color than what's already dry, so for the life of me I don't understand why I keep getting runs in it. And it's pissing me right the heck off.

So I decided to take it back to smooth and level again and try something different. And if this don't work , it's all coming off. This damn body might look like it was in the drier too long when I get done with it. lol...

So , I started out with the body mounted on a stick of scrap. And was holding it out away from me and doing alternating, very light coats. east n west, then the next coat would be north and south. And that was working OK. then I started having trouble holding it, sprang both wrist earlier in life taking a head on with an , of all things , Pinto station wagon. On my motorcycle... And now these 20 some odd years later, I have all kinds of joint problems. Then I decided to hang it to apply the paint . That's when the run problem started. they make it look so easy on you tube!

Anyway, I'm gonna try doing it a different way. I already know holding it like I did in the beginning worked better, just got to painful. So, its gonna sit till this weekend, Sunday in fact, cause we're going to the beach Saturday. At that time I'm gonna build something to hold it flat and still be able to rotate it over. And hopefully I can get this color coat smooth and even, then I can move on.

And yeah , I'd thought about hitting that web with some black paint and letting it dry then applying it to the back of the body. And using clear coat to seal it in between layers of clear for some depth.Still might . It would definitely set it apart from any other tele out there

willhowl and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  16. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    I don't know, Might keep my eye out for a nicer on. That one kinda looks like that spider was huffin some paint when it made it... lol. looks kinda wonky

willhowl and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  17. Kenneth Mountain

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    no doubt you wrecked that spider - I use a metal hanger - I cut in half on the bottom horizontal - make a large hook - feed it through the neck plate holes and hang it on the clothes line or where ever you can walk 360 around it - lower it by hand to spray the top - it's hard to spray lite layers - I know . I also know about wrong paint - I bought some epoxy paint - like for a refrigerator - I knew something was up when it was tacky for two weeks - I'm sharp like that !

what a nightmare getting that off - OH MY GOSH the lessons I have taught myself - the scars I have caused myself .... lol

nitro likes this.
  18. kevinrocks

kevinrocks Squier Talker

Dec 8, 2014
    boston
    i LIKE it!!!!

nitro likes this.
  19. nitro

nitro Squier-Meister

Mar 16, 2017
    ocala fl
    +1 on all dat!