NUGD! A Kay!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Ray Stankewitz, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Jammin' in my Music Room Platinum Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    When I was a teen, my father had a Kay K102 Vanguard. Great little guitar with a wacky 25-11/16" scale. When my father passed in the '70's, mom gave the guitar to my uncle. Not sure whatever happened to it after that. For about the last ten years, I've been looking for a Kay for sentimental reasons. Dad had one so I felt like I should have one. Spotted one at GC Boston for a stupid $399.00! Right? bought it that night, Just arrived today.
    [​IMG]
    It's small, light and a blast to play. condition is about a 9 of 10, not bad for a student grade guitar built sometime in 1961 or 1962. Probably bought, played a few times, then put in a closet or under a bed. Heck, the edges of the molded tuner buttons are still sharp-feeling! Before you ask, it has a steel tube in the neck that's not adjustable, ala Coral guitars sold under the Silvertone name, such as the Hornet guitars.

Cleaned it up, new EB 9-42 Super Slinkys, all seems good. There was one like it on Reverb a few weeks back, went to over $900 before it sold, a 5 of 10 condition guitar. Sadly, no chipboard case came with it. The guys at GC are not going to like me trying to find a case to fit this one.

Kinnon09, Davis Sharp, Shine and 13 others like this.
  2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

It might be time for me to put my Kay up for sale!

mb doug, radiotech and -r3- like this.
  3. Ray Stankewitz

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    They are going for stupid money right now. The market was soft with few guitars a couple of years back. It seems to be picking up for the Kay branded guitars, not so much for the Old Craftsman variant that was sold by Spiegel Mail Order Company.

Right now (4/15/2021) there's a Kay K102 Vanguard, mebbe a 1963/64/65 (adj truss rod) at the San Berdoo Guitar Center for $499 plus tax/shipping. Can't really tell if it's any better or worse than mine from the one crappy employee-taken picture.

mb doug and Triple Jim like this.
  4. the_dude

the_dude Squier-Meister

Feb 17, 2021
    Japan
    Nice grab! Enjoy :cool:

mb doug likes this.
  5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

Mine is a horrible version of an SG, with a very thin body and non-adjustable intonation. It does have an adjustable truss rod though.

mb doug and radiotech like this.
  6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    that looks very much like the guitar a buddy of mine bought in around 1965 or so when I was in high school. Only his had a single pickup in the middle. He bought it new for about $60 from I think, a Western Auto store. (Sears sold Silvertones at the time while Western Auto sold Truetone guitars.) I do know that Kay used to supply some guitars to Western Auto.

Anyway I asked him how it sounded and he said "raunchy." Dumb me thought of the song "Raunchy" which had been done by many artists, including Duane Eddy, so I thought he meant it sounded good.

What he meant, he corrected me, was that it sounded bad. However I played it and I thought it sounded pretty good ... it was he who sounded bad playing it as he was just learning guitar and not doing all that well.

So, congrats!

(Btw, my first electric guitar was a used Truetone, a 335-style with the world's quietest pickups.)

mb doug likes this.
  7. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

Kind of reminds me of my '64 Harmony ...... what kind of pickups are those?

mb doug and radiotech like this.
  8. Exhead

Exhead Squier-Meister

Jul 15, 2015
    Nevada
    That is a classic look and very different. HNGD!

mb doug likes this.
  9. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Very cool! I love those headstocks

mb doug likes this.
  10. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Conga-rats!

mb doug likes this.
  11. Twostratsfornow

Twostratsfornow Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice that it brings warm memories. HNGD!

12. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    West Coast Landia
    Nice bit of Americana you have there!

13. Ray Stankewitz

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    Thanks all for the congrats. @feulish - the pickups are made by Kay, sort of a DeArmond type. Very clean when rolled back, dirty when dimed. BTW, they are riveted to the pickguard. Also, the neck is poplar with a rosewood fretboard and bronze(?) frets. tuners are Kluson and other than being very low ratio, they work just like brand new once I lubed them. Just another sign of being a closet queen for six decades. New price back in 1961 was $59.95 for the single pickup K100 "Vanguard Contour" model, $79.95 for the two pickup K102. The Kay K9611 chipboard case was $10.00.

14. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Congrats on the long awaited guitar