Noob needs advice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Sid Stratman, May 29, 2020.

1. Sid Stratman

Sid Stratman Squier Talker

May 29, 2020
    ontario
    Hi Guys. Noob here. New to electric guitar. New to Squiers. New to everything. Need advice. I'm kinda undecided on what I want it to sound like or what i want to play. I like everything from Jerry Reed to metal to jazz.

I bought a '19 Bullet Stratocaster HSS made in Indonesia and i am thinking of some upgrades i'd like to do and other things and i wanted advice.

First and foremost, the G string seems to be 30% louder than other strings and the B string about 15%. It's pretty annoying. It's the same in all settings of the 5 way. I am coping with this annoyance by lowering the high ends of the pickups. All three PU's are now flush with the body on the high ends and raised almost to the point of interference on the low end. This helps but the balance is still out and the high E is a little weak. I'm not sure what to do next other than putting thinner strings on the G and B.

Also, the humbucker is pretty annoying when played on it's own. I can compensate by turning down the highs on the EQ on the amp, but there has to be a better way. I am pretty stumped on this. I've read about switching the 2nd tone control to control the humbucker only, but i wanted to get some other ideas.

Upgrades I am considering is installing the Freeway 5B5-01 10-way selector switch to get 5 more pickup selection options, but i am mulling over how to wire up the tone control. Maybe one for the bridge and one for the neck.

Also, considering new locking tunas, read somewhere that Fender tunas don't fit Squiers, so i would like find some that will fit without modifications.

I have no problems swapping out the pots but have no idea what to get and what it will do to the sound.

I'm also interested in talking about how to create tones with modelling amps, i bought a Katana 50 MkII. I've tried guitarpatches.com but i think patches would have to be more specific to the types of pickups on the guitar.

Anyway, i'm interested in hearing what you guys have to say.

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    Welcome to the forum!! I would just get it setup by a proper professional and change nothing until you've been playing 1-2 years....it's 100% normal on staggered pickups for certain strings to be louder....lcking tuners won't make stability any better....pots don't need changing until they wear out....

As for settings on modeling amps, play with your volume and tone controls - find what sounds good to you. We can't say 'use this setting to sound like so and so or sound like this certain song' because it's all in how you play.....

3. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Welcome to Squier Talk !

JurnyWannaBe, -r3- and dbrian66 like this.
  4. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Hi and welcome.

Good advce on professional setup. it will cost, but if you can shop around. Not so much for price but for someone who will let watch the entire process, so in the future, you can do itself.

Without spending a fortune, or putting on tuners that do NOT improve your gear ratio, you will eventually have to ream out the tuner holes to 10mm. About the only thing available are either tuners that cost as much or more than you paid for the guitar, or vintage tuners, which have the vintage look, but nearly the same terrible, crap gear ratio.

Most importnt of all,have fun.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  5. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
  6. MI redneck

MI redneck Squier-Meister

May 7, 2020
    MI
    Welcome to the party Sid!

As a fellow newbie, the best advice I have for you is to follow the advice the others have given you here.
    Good luck and have fun!

7. gmt124

gmt124 Squier-Meister

Aug 11, 2019
    Wales, UK
    Hi Sid and welcome aboard the ST, you'll get all the advice you need here.

8. Sid Stratman

May 29, 2020
    ontario
    what about the setup affects sound volume on individual strings? pole height on the pickups and the gauge of the string as far as i know.

9. Sid Stratman

May 29, 2020
    ontario
    yeah, i went from sounding shitty on clean and overdrive with my old amp, to sounding shitty in a myriad of different tones. lol. i guess i'll grow into it.

10. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    If you're just beginning, everything is going to sound like that for a while....it's all in the touch and fingers.....

11. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    Welcome to the forum, hope you get it straightened out.

12. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    A full setup involves checking and setting neck relief, make sure the nut is properly cut for proper intonation (the nut is often not cut well causing intonation issues and binding of the strings, which directly affects tuning) Adjust saddles for proper intonation up and down the fretboard, adjust pickups to their optimum sound. And a bit more. All these thing affect how the guitar sounds, second only to your fingers affecting tone.

Good luck.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  13. Barry

Barry Squier-Meister

Feb 5, 2020
    Eastleigh, UK
    Welcome to ST!

A decent set up will give you a good starting point from which to identify any other issues.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  14. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Good advice above! Get a good set up. Then play, play, play! If you end up in time sticking with it, you could decide on a better instrument over mods. Or modding may become your thing! Most important is give it Time!!! Good luck.

15. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    GM beat me to it. As a beginner, things will be choppy and inconsistent. Just practice for now.

As the fellows have already mentioned, a proper setup will make all the difference in tone and feel.

16. Dave M

Dave M Squier-Nut

Feb 27, 2017
    Mira Loma, CA
    To get the tone to work on the bridge...you add a jumper wire on the selector switch....lookup the Jeff Beck strat wiring diagram....and are you in Ontario , Ca...?

Sid Stratman likes this.
  17. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    One thing you can try is to use a EQ first coming from the guitar, with it you can adjust the volume of the individual strings. I use a Danelectro Fish and Chips. You didn't say if you adjusted the poles on the humbucker to balance its sound.

18. Sid Stratman

May 29, 2020
    ontario
    EQ from the guitar? you mean the tone pots? there is no tone pot for the bridge pickup. i've pretty much decided to rewire this when i swap out the 5 way for a 10 way. Move the middle control to the bridge. this way i have no tone control when playing the middle only. small sacrifice.

the humbucker does not have adjustable pole pieces.

19. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    You can easily add a jumper to the tone pot for the bridge pickup.....

What the person meant was a pedal, EQ pedal - like 5 or 7 band or 10 band etc......graphic equalizer....

20. duggerh

duggerh Squier-Meister

Jun 1, 2018
    Pacific Northwest