No sound. Never had this before.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by horax, Jun 10, 2021.

1. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    Hey,
    I have a tele I’ve been modding. All components worked well. I even changed the neck pickup and that worked as well.

I changed out everything except the input Jack.

I’m a little confused because after wiring her up I plugged her in and touched the pickups with a screwdriver. I heard the normal response from the amp so I figured she was good to go.

I strung her up and plugged her in…and no sound at all.

my first thought is a grounding issue. So I open her up and redo all the ground points. Still no sound.

my thoughts are all over the place here. I’m wondering if the volume pot is dead (brand new no load pot for both volume and tone are being used), or if the switch is broken (brand new fender three way).

anybody have any thoughts?

dbrian66 likes this.
  2. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    Pics may help.

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    You can't use a no-load pot for volume. Lug 3 (the input lug on a volume control) is never in the circuit, so your pickups' signal is stopping right there.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  4. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
  5. Southguitar

Southguitar Squier-Meister

May 2, 2021
    Tennessee
    If the screw driver test worked, you heard sound from the proper pickup being selected, and no sound from the pickup not selected, then some wire somewhere or some short happened after that. Do you have shielding foil that could be touching a hot wire? It has to be something simple. I have gotten a short in the past when I screwed my pickguard down and it made a pot go just deep enough that a pot hot wire touched a ground. Seemed like I recall that when I loosened or nudged the pg it would work.
    Just open it up and go through every connection, look for anything that could be protruding or possibly touching something it shouldn't.

Cochise and Hadronic Spin like this.
  6. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    sorry for the ugly wiring...I was doing it at 2:00 am ;)

Cochise, corn and Guitarmageddon like this.
  7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Squier-Nut

Sep 6, 2014
    Va
    Silly mistake, but--sure you have the jack wired correctly?

8. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I'm making a bit of an assumption here, but if you are getting signal with the plate out, and then none with the plate mounted, could something be grounding out when you put the plate in? Maybe something touching the shielding paint?

Luvs2yoko likes this.
  9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
  10. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    my solder iron needs to be replaced, yes. The tip broke off so it's a very wide one.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  11. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    I thought about htat and tried it unmounted and mounted. Same thing. works when not plugged in, doens't when not plugged in.

I ran the ground to the back of the volume and the hot to the middle lug of volume.

12. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    It sounds like you might have a partial break in a wire. Try keeping the control plate unscrewed, out of the guitar, then move the wires. See if you get a sudden change in the signal.

13. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    What does this mean?

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  14. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    Yeah that was poorly typed.
    I meant that the signal is fine with the screwdriver but not with normal playing.

15. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Wait, the screwdriver test works when it's strung, but picking the strings doesn't produce a sound?

horax and LutherBurger like this.
  16. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    That's weird. If you used standard wiring and a no-load pot for the volume control, even the screwdriver sound shouldn't reach the amp. The lug that the switch is connected to doesn't go anywhere.

dbrian66 likes this.
  17. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Is that a four position switch?

...because if it is, you have to lengthen the slot on the control plate (to allow for the longer throw), otherwise the switch won’t fully engage in the one and three positions, and cause the exact problem you are describing. .

fattboyzz, drewcp and dbrian66 like this.
  18. LutherBurger

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    It looks like a 3-way switch. There are only four lugs on each side.

dbrian66 likes this.
  19. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    correct

it's a standard 3 way

I did order a regular volume pot to be delivered tomorrow if that is the issue. I even tried rolling volume back so the no-load isn't engaged but nothing changes.

dbrian66 likes this.
  20. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    sorry couldn’t spend a lot of time looking at it, I just glanced at it from work.