No cheese on toast for fence-sitters

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Flashart, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Flashart

Flashart Squier Talker

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    Back in the seventies, I'd be sporting 3 button waistband side-pockets, a pair of slats and munching on cheese on toast from Dairy Lea triangles with their "fun for fillings" tin foil covering with the little red cotton thread for peeling.

MrYeats likes this.
  2. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I call it what it is, which is not allowed on this forum. :D

MarekG, MrYeats and brians like this.
  3. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Didn't have those when I was a kid, you went in with your teeth. :D

MrYeats likes this.
  4. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Yes, the new Jersey, not the real Jersey. Brown sauce is fine, but not on everything. Admit it, you've put it on pasta/spaghetti. :eek::)

MrYeats likes this.
  5. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

I prefer pizza, thanks ...... plain pizza, extra cheese......toppings only to please the wife, she won't go for plain pizza.....the freak ;)

MrYeats likes this.
  6. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    What's wrong with everybody?

It's called toasted cheese as in, toasted cheese with or without tomato.

MrYeats likes this.
  7. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    MrYeats likes this.
  8. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I was wondering when someone will mention pizza. Now all hell's gonna break loose. :eek::)

MrYeats likes this.
  9. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    NHL opening day so I'm exposed to TV commercials again. Just saw this one for the first time and thought of this thread...

Davis Sharp likes this.
  10. MarekG

MarekG Squier Talker

May 30, 2020
    England
    I'd never come across that before, and a quick google seems to say it was largely a West Midlands thing, which is where I am not from! Now I want some.....

11. MarekG

MarekG Squier Talker

May 30, 2020
    England
    Not a fan then?

12. MarekG

MarekG Squier Talker

May 30, 2020
    England
    Sir, How very dare you! I have not. I am not a barbarian. I am very sparing in the use of the brown stuff.

Uncle Joe likes this.
  13. MarekG

MarekG Squier Talker

May 30, 2020
    England
    Are there not gluten free breads obtainable where you are? We're getting a lot of coeliac-friendly foods in the UK now. About 15 years ago we tried a gluten-free diet for my autistic son, and getting stuff was a nightmare. Now bigger supermarkets have half an aisle of the stuff!

14. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I haven't really looked. I did try a gluten free pizza from Dominos, and the gluten free crust was not very good, kind of chewy like rubber. Maybe next time I shop I'll look in the bread aisle.

15. bloozstar

bloozstar Squier Talker

Jul 24, 2020
    Tarrant, Al

I grew up calling it "melted cheese". My mother came from so high in the mountains they had to pipe in sunshine. she would refer to cheese as "them cheese". It was a constant source of snickers between 4 siblings. I watched her throw a large piece of cheddar into a hot skillet, and torture it until a dark color. I wanted no part of it. Years later living alone I wondered what drove her to have burned cheese as a secret treat. I tried it, and haven't looked back. I've been burning cheese for about 45 years now. (I had to add this edit) I was youngest and when in my early teens my mother made "inspirational posters" for me. My favorite was: "TAKE PRID IN EVERTHANG YOU DO".