No cheese on toast for fence-sitters

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Flashart, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Geode

Geode Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2020
    MB, SC
    @archetype

Sometimes w/a nice
    beefsteak or heirloom
    out of the garden, it
    doesn't need all the
    frills. Tomato, mayo,
    bread, s & p. Mmm.

archetype and mb doug like this.
  2. shingh2002

shingh2002 Squier-Meister

Sep 30, 2020
    UK
    This.

As far as terminology goes, I agree cheese on toast and a grilled cheese are two separate things. Ironically a grilled cheese is usually cooked in a frying pan on a stove (or maybe a plancher if you're really cookin'), atleast that's the way I prefer it. With each side of the sandwich slathered in homemade garlic butter. Mmm.

Edit: a cheese toastie is the third iteration, made by a sandwich press or foreman like grill. For me, its main characteristic is the dry toasted shell.

To the OP. I prefer the my cheese in toast to brown just a little, to guarantee maximum meltage, with a hint of caramelisation.

66musicmaster, Geode and mb doug like this.
  3. eddiemac

eddiemac Squier Talker

Dec 8, 2020
    UK
    It is written in the Magna Carta on how to prepare cheese on toast .

my Nan trained me up on the fine art -

1. Fresh uncut white loaf, sliced into the thickness of a door stop .
    2. Toasted on one side
    3. Lashings of butter spread on the non toasted side & must reach right to the edges
    4. Cheese must be extra mature cheddar & grated
    5. Grilled until the cheese releases the lovely cheese oily goodness & starting to turn a golden colour , this must be closely watched to enhance the pleasure .
    6. A liberal dollop of tomato ketchup on each slice & a mug of steaming hot tea .

If the above is not followed exactly the sheriff`s horsemen will arrest you & by morning you will be tied to a ships bow & heading for Australia to serve your lifelong sentence .

MarekG, shingh2002, Geode and 3 others like this.
  4. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    images (5).jpeg
    I miss the old school toastie pie.
    There were 3 recipes we grew up on:
    1: Margarine on the outsides of both slices of bread, and cheese in the middle.
    2: Margarine on the outsides of both slices of bread, and watties spaghetti and cheese in the middle.
    3: Margarine on the outsides of both slices of bread, cheese, shaved ham and tinned pineapple in the middle.
    Toastie pies were the standard diy feed as kids, with 2 minute noodles being a close second.

5. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

The younger culinary set would call cheese on toast a grilled cheese "deconstructed". How did we manage before they came along? :rolleyes:

Geode, Davis Sharp and mb doug like this.
  6. Flashart

Flashart Squier Talker

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    And the cheese would be on the bottom with the bread on the top.

Because it's "ironic".

mb doug likes this.
  7. NoStoneUnturned

NoStoneUnturned Squier Talker

May 27, 2020
    Minnesota
    I seem to recall lots of hippies selling grilled/cheese on toast outside of Grateful Dead shows. The perfect food for the "munchies" perhaps?

8. MarekG

MarekG Squier Talker

May 30, 2020
    England
    I don't really know much about guitars, but this is something I can get behind! Very confusing: American broiler is UK grill, and US Grill is basically a hotplate, or flat frying pan? Or is that a griddle? And if it's a griddle, what's a (US) grill? And if it's not, what's a griddle? And what's the (usually cast-iron) plate which puts sear-marks on steak or whatever? I'd call that a griddle.

As George Bernard Shaw is said to have said: "Two countries separated by a common language".......

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    beagle and gearobsessed like this.
  9. MarekG

MarekG Squier Talker

May 30, 2020
    England
    He speaks the truth, although brown sauce (HP/Daddies etc) may be substitited for red (tomato ketchup)

10. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Having celiac disease means I have to be gluten free, which means I will never again experience the wonder of a grilled cheese sandwich, or any sandwich for that matter. No bread, cake, muffin, pasta, pizza, burritos, pancakes, waffles, french toast, or enchiladas. I can have tacos though, as long as they're made with corn tortillas, so all is not lost! And, this reminded me of my Mom's potato pancakes and corn fritters. I miss them almost as much as I miss her.

11. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Down here where I live, in Northern Mexico, or South Texas, depends on what day of the week it is, we toast our cheese onto two tortillas. We call if quesodilla.

DougMen and Davis Sharp like this.
  12. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    You'd get toasted yourself if you only toasted one side of the bread and then put "tomato ketchup" on it here.

MrYeats likes this.
  13. Geode

Geode Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2020
    MB, SC
    MrYeats,

It must be
    2-for-Tuesday..!!

¿Si?

MrYeats likes this.
  14. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    Can you have Goat's cheese?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319926#why-would-you-want-to-avoid-gluten

List of gluten-free cheeses and alternatives to cheese:
    According to Beyond Celiac, some varieties of cheese that are usually gluten-free include:

• brie
    • Cheddar
    • Swiss
    • Parmesan
    • provolone
    • feta
    • goat
    • ricotta

MrYeats likes this.
  15. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    As long as you please
    I was waiting for one of the OP's fellow countrymen to suggest brown sauce on grilled cheese. :eek:;) That's a hard no for me. :)

Cheese on toast sounds good though. Option 1 for me.

MrYeats likes this.
  16. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire

It was mentioned a long time a go, but you missed it. :D

MrYeats and MarekG like this.
  17. MarekG

MarekG Squier Talker

May 30, 2020
    England
    Ah, the great one side/both sides toasted divide! And why the quote marks? Are you "tomato sauce" or "red sauce"?

MrYeats likes this.
  18. MarekG

MarekG Squier Talker

May 30, 2020
    England
    The penny has dropped that Jersey means New Jersey, not the island between the UK and France...... Do you not like brown sauce, or just not with cheese?

MrYeats likes this.
  19. macoshark

macoshark Squier Talker

Jan 10, 2020
    southwest
    Grilled Cheese on Sprouts baby boule bread. Must be Tilamook Xtra Sharp cheese.

MrYeats likes this.
  20. Flashart

Flashart Squier Talker

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    This maybe UK specific but I see your Daddies and I raise you "Beetop"

MrYeats likes this.