No cheese on toast for fence-sitters

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Flashart, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Geode

Geode Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2020
    MB, SC
    @beagle

Yum. Is that muenster?

I miss my 'pudding',
    since all the cooks
    have passed...

There's always L's
    Golden Syrup on
    toast.

mb doug likes this.
  2. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    Only on french toast in this house.

mb doug and Geode like this.
  3. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    I'm not exactly sure what the original post was about but I eat something like this a couple of times a week. Usually on a bigger piece of bread though. My cheese of preference is Havarti.

[​IMG]

mb doug, Geode and beagle like this.
  4. Geode

Geode Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2020
    MB, SC
    Interestingly enough...
    The original post was
    'fence repair'.
    Then it turned to omelets.
    Now, it's pretty cheesy.

5. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I thought it had been changed to "Daddies" after the Worcestershire incident...

6. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    My grandson eats all that...

7. Geode

Geode Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2020
    MB, SC
    Didn't realize HP/Heinz
    made 'Daddy Sauce'...

Thank you, ST.

mb doug likes this.
  8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    My wife is the specialty Cheese manager at a sort of gormet grocery store (Mariano’s), and while she can have any kind of cheese on toast, we have a couple simple fav’s, and combo of
    Cheeses: Usually Extra Sharp Cheddar, but if it’s extra thick, it won’t melt before the bread toasts, so you put half a slice of American on the bread sides of the cheddar (the reason American is not officially cheese, is because it does not contain enough salt to be considered true cheese, but that’s also why it’s floppy, and melts faster), the American works like a melt inducer/heat sink to the cheddar, getting it to melt at just the right time when your bread is toasted just right.

Another trick is to use Mayo on the outside of the bread instead of butter/margarine, as Mayo takes longer to brown than the other two.

I make egg grilled cheese, I sunny side up an egg, put it between thin sliced cheddar (or American), a couple slices of bacon (pre-cooked works fine), the bread of your choice, and grill the mess... magnifique’!

We say “grilled cheese”.

mb doug, LutherBurger and Geode like this.
  9. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    OK, as I thought.
    I had this quite often when I lived in NC, cheese on toast in the oven using the broiler setting. Still make it on occasion.
    We called it Cheesy Toast.
    cheese y toast.jpg

But I still by far prefer a Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
    best-ever-grilled-cheese.jpg

But I like both.

10. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    . LOL.

I realize your jest,LOL.

I did mean bananas as a separate entity from Mac & Cheese.
    Following your thoughts, bananas in mac & cheese, is way beyond inedible for me. That just gives me 'Arg! chills', eww!

Everyone i different. My late wife when we moved in together, would serve Mac & Cheese as an entree. That did not last. To me mac & cheese is a very poor side dish when absolutely nothing else is available. A slice of American 'cheese' on two pieces of dry white bread was a cheese sandwich:eek:

Of course many would consider my eating habits and food/condiment usage beyond strange. When I had just begun my 3 year tour in West Germany, I was introduced to bratwurst on a bun served most often with a rasher of French fries. They always served with side cup of mayonnaise. After using on the bread, the balance was on the French fries. At first it was "what??" But I came to like it, even prefer it that way.

I also buy big bottles of ranch dressing, using it often in place of mayonnaise (or whipped salad dressing/generic Miracle Whip), instead of sour cream, dip, and many more things.

11. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    The secret is really butter. Melt a chunk of butter in the pan and dip the top slice (outside down) to soak some of the butter. Then assemble the sandwich and place in the remaining butter, bottom side down. After a while, flip to toast the buttered top side until all the cheese is melted. Another secret is to char a little bit of the cheese. It's easier if the cheese slice sticks out of the bread.

12. Geode

Geode Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2020
    MB, SC
    @jefffam

Mayo IS a good 'dippin
    sauce' for fries..!!

Mayo & onions are
    good on 'dogs'.

Mayo on a grilled, pb
    & banana, make it
    'non-stick'. (goin down)

Mayo & 'mater, grilled
    cheese sammies. Mmm

Caesar works as well
    as ranch, also...

Don't knock it til...

Enjoy, y'all.!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    mb doug and Davis Sharp like this.
  13. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    Mount Airy, NC
    Fun stuff here. We do cheese toast - cheese on one piece of bread. Put in toaster oven and use grill and broiler to make it oh so perfect.

I call mayo the "bread lubricant".

And the toasted cheese - that's a sandwich WITH mayo inside no butter on bread or not much. A toaster oven made sandwich.

Then the ultimate - make up a cheese sandwich with mayo. Butter the outside of bread, preferably melted and brushed all over. Throw that in med high frying pan. Nothing healthy about it. Just pure goodness.

Cheese type? Who cares, it's cheese!!!but wait, if you're using sliced "American", it needs to be deli style. No good cheese comes in prewrapped slices that I've found. And Velveeta is too salty for consumption. And it's just weird.

In our house, we basically keep some sliced on hand, some orange shredded, some white shredded, and maybe some colby jack (white AND orange) and even pepper jack shredded and slices too sometimes.

Do you guys have pimento cheese? A good pimento cheese makes a good sandwich or toast. Add bacon to any of these as well. All go well with vegetable soup. Stan's brand or whatever our butcher shop keeps. Ruth's and Star brand should bot be sold, imo.

14. Geode

Geode Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2020
    MB, SC
    Any 'Star' item is
    toss-able.

Ruth's, thick, old
    fashioned if you're
    desperate.

'Curley' burgers use
    a homemade recipe.
    Mmmm.

Those are real PC
    Sammies.

66musicmaster and mb doug like this.
  15. Birddog144

Birddog144 Squier-holic Double Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2015
    South Oceanside, CA
    Hmmmm.... Cheese on toast with some spaghetti sauce, and maybe a few pepperoni..... And what if I made the toast round and served it with beer?

You guys may be onto something. :rolleyes:

16. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

In this household we make it with thinly-sliced marbled rye bread and maple smoked cheddar. When we're feeling reckless we'll put sliced beefstake or some similar heirloom tomato under the cheese. It's damn good either way.

66musicmaster, mb doug and Geode like this.
  17. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Squier-holic

Sep 2, 2015
    NYC
    A grilled cheese sandwich is best with a thin slice of ham and a bit of mustard inside.

mb doug, Geode and Birddog144 like this.
  18. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Nut

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    When I still partook I used to put sardines under the cheese before toasting it.

Viking, mb doug and Geode like this.
  19. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    In New Zealand we call one slice of bread toasted with cheese on top 'cheese on toast' and cheese between two toasted slices of bread 'cheese toasties'
    A kiwi classic is ham, cheese and tinned pineapple in a toastie.
    We used to only use jaffle iron styles, but now George forman style sandwich presses are becoming more of the norm.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    mb doug, shingh2002 and Geode like this.
  20. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

You're getting dangerously close to a Monte Cristo there my friend!