No cheese on toast for fence-sitters

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Flashart, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Flashart

Flashart Squier Talker

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    All civilised people agree, cheese on toast (or grilled cheese if you prefer that description) is just about as tasty as meal as we've ever come up with over our millenia of evolution.

However, as far as I see there are only two forms this dish of all dishes can possibly take.

(This assumes we are talking a regular hard cheese (ie Cheddar) rather than some exotica squeezed from the teats of some unpronouncable, almost extinct species by dewey-eyed artisans.)

1, Pure melted squidge. No solid cheese is present but is still pale and full of molten stringy loveliness.

2, Made to toast for its sins. Toasted until sunk into the bread and developing a deep orange toothsome carapace.

I was always in the 1st camp but having experienced the 2nd over a couple of days, I'm left with the feeling I've been wasting my life for the last six decades.

What say you good people?

2. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-Meister

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    I'm not sure I've ever had the 2nd one....that sounds to me like you'd burn the bread.

Another important debate in these troubled times: Do you call it toasted cheese, or grilled cheese?

mb doug, Geode and GunnyPlaysLoud like this.
  3. GunnyPlaysLoud

GunnyPlaysLoud Squier-Meister

Mar 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    We call it grilled cheese, but I’ve always thought isn’t it more of a “fried cheese”?

mb doug, Geode and grizzlewulf like this.
  4. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Cheddar? Pfft! It's called "cheese on toast", because it's cheese. On toast.

wensleydale.png

5. grizzlewulf

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    I'm camp grilled cheese as well, but this is a fair point.

Eddd, mb doug and Geode like this.
  6. Flashart

Flashart Squier Talker

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    I'm in the UK so it's cheese on toast. But then again, we have everything on toast. (Beans on toast, Marmite on toast, and this will make you lose your minds, Heinz spaghetti on toast etc)

In fact, I don't know how other nations have survived because toast is the perfect delivery system. It's like a wooden pallet for the cheese or the beans, or the eggs, or the ravioli, or the..

7. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I'm ok with it as far as cheese on toast :D The rest I wouldn't feed to the dog...

8. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Smoke Gouda. Food of the gods. If you like pleasing the gods then Smoked Gouda on sourdough. 10:37AM... too early for lunch?

9. SoCalJim

SoCalJim Squier-Meister

Nov 12, 2020
    SoCal
    I love the sound of pure melted squidge. Mmmmmm.

10. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I've had grilled cheese on occasion when fixed by my late wife. I've had grilled cheese fixed by my mother when living at home or later visits in later years. I was always taught unless completely impossible, to eat what I am served. Thankfully my wife knew I detested grilled cheese. My mother was always a lost cause. Both she and my father think anything hey like, I must like as well.

Although I miss my wife terribly bad, enough to eat her grilled cheese, for my own purpose I never eat it and hopefully never will again. Some apparently love it, which is great for them. Personally, it's right there with bananas and mac & cheese, I'm perfectly happy to never have to eat again.

mb doug and Geode like this.
  11. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I don't understand the question

12. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ
    Option B.

Option A is only observed in uncivilized or survival/subsistence environments.

13. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    I think some clarity may be needed here.

When you say "cheese on toast" do you mean cheese on a single slice of bread toasted in an oven "open faced" style? Or something similar?
    (cheesey toast in SE USA)

Or with 2 slices of bread buttered with cheese inside toasted on both sides in a frying pan?
    ( grilled cheese all USA)

I only ask because I think both are being referred to.

mb doug, 66musicmaster and Geode like this.
  14. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-holic

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow
    I prefer to have 2 slice of bread with cheese in between and toast then bread in the grill... I do this with other different fillings too, I care not a jot if it is called grilled, melted, toasted.

beagle, mb doug and Geode like this.
  15. grizzlewulf

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Spaghetti on toast! When I was growing up, my dad would make sandwichas out of cold spaghetti and sliced bread. It was...surprisingly edible

mb doug, Viking and Geode like this.
  16. Geode

Geode Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2020
    MB, SC
    'Spaghetti" Westerns
    & 'Grilled Cheese'
    Sandwiches.

By the way...
    What cheese is
    made backwards?

mb doug and Stratlover84 like this.
  17. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    under the grill

cheese on toast.jpg

mb doug, Geode, Viking and 1 other person like this.
  18. Flashart

Flashart Squier Talker

Sep 25, 2012
    UK
    Man alive! This is turning into the "omelette" scene in "Five Easy Pieces" all over again.

(I'll try and photocopy some documents. Meet me in the underground car park beneath the Parlour. Use the codeword "HP Sauce"....)

19. Geode

Geode Squier-Nut

Nov 30, 2020
    MB, SC
    @jefffam

I'd probably draw the
    line @ Banana Mac 'n
    Cheese also.

No wonder it soured
    you on gourmet cheese
    specialty sandwiches.

mb doug likes this.
  20. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-holic

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    Edam cheese!
    [​IMG]

mb doug, Loin Lover and Geode like this.