NGD- unplanned pawn shop Les Paul Special

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Leo Jazzmaster, Apr 23, 2021.

1. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Congrats . These are nice playing guitars !

mb doug likes this.
  2. Leo Jazzmaster

Leo Jazzmaster Squier-Nut

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    They really are. I'm very surprised at how well it plays after a setup. All I've done so far is adjust the relief, clean and oil the fretboard, and set the action. It feels great for an inexpensive Epiphone. Next I'm going to set the pickup height. I'm thinking of maybe adding a treble bleed. I don't know, what mods have you done on these guitars that you would recommend?

mb doug likes this.
  3. Hadronic Spin

Hadronic Spin J Squier, Esquier Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Seconded.

J

Leo Jazzmaster and mb doug like this.
  4. the_dude

the_dude Squier-Meister

Feb 17, 2021
    Japan
  5. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Good advice. I ended up pulling the pickup out and slicing its foam rubber support block in half. It's dense foam and presents too much force on those screws when you crank them down.

Leo Jazzmaster and DrBeGood like this.
  6. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Apart from maybe upgrading tuners, nothing needs to be done. Just play the thing. If you get fret buzz, before thinking of doing any levelling, try tapping down the guilty high fret(s). Often it will cure the buzz.

Leo Jazzmaster likes this.
  7. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Nice color, HNGD. Love Epis and P90s , good choice.

8. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    I was definitely thinking tuners. Thanks for tip about fret buzz!

9. jbrowning

jbrowning Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2019
    colorado springs
  10. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I had a red with HB’s and have a yellow with P-90’s. Put Grover open gear tuners on both as well as on my Epi LP Jr. Nice tuners and not real high cost.

Gave the red one (with upgraded alnico pickups to the 15 year old son of one of my wife’s friends. He has some serious health issues and wanted to learn to play. His dad also passed away a couple years ago. Good kid. Also gave him my old Mustang I amp, a gig bag, a cord, and strap. He was really happy.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    TylerN and Leo Jazzmaster like this.
  11. Doc538

Doc538 Squier Talker

Jan 23, 2021
    Ma
    HNGD.... I have the Charcoal one. bought new when it first came out at GC. Absolutely love it. I had to do several MAJOR upgrades to get it right. 1. wiped it down, 2. new 9's, 3. intonation, adj action @ 12, 4. clean contacts on 3way switch. Damn thing needs a lot of attention, like every 6 months or so it wants new strings and the fret board cleaned. ENJOY !

12. Steve1961

Steve1961 Squier Talker

Jun 8, 2020
    England
    You need a Telecaster Custom II. Unbeatable, as good as any Fender. My Tele 1.jpg

drewcp and Leo Jazzmaster like this.
  13. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    How'd you know I wanted a Tele with P90s?!?!? I've been looking at the chinese made Fender Modern Player teles with p90s, but a squier would scratch that itch, too. How rare are those?

14. bloozstar

bloozstar Squier Talker

Jul 24, 2020
    Tarrant, Al
    I found the exact same one in a pawn here, except the tailpiece bridge was jacked up high, the strings were fed from the rear and instead of being installed from the front then over the compensated top. I saw and understood the issue and the fix. Offered $39.00 including tax, they accepted. Whoever had mine had superglued a "peace sign symbol" on the upper bout above the neck where the 3 position pickup selector switch would be on a normal Les Paul, and slopped glue over the whole area. I'd like to remove the glue but am sure the finish would come off too. My choices are leave it like it is, or screw it up more. I like it anyway.

15. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Acetone will dissolve super glue if I'm not mistaken and poly doesn't react to it. Maybe try to get the sticker off with a razor blade scraper first.

1_RS_1_800x533__90501.1448057676.1280.1280.jpg