NGD - Squier FSR SSS Jagmaster!

Discussion in 'Squier Duo-Sonic & Jagmaster' started by Robbmonster, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Pics to follow, but one can be found in this thread...

https://www.squier-talk.com/threads/sss-jagmaster.181059/

A few first impressions (I haven't even played her yet).

I don't quite know where to begin, so best to start with the first thing I noticed... the guitar is ULTRA light, easily the lightest guitar I own and possibly the lightest I have EVER owned. Being an FSR for the Asian market only, finding info on materials used should prove tough.

Second, the guitar is very dirty, covered in black marks and odd substances.Hopefully this washes off, because aside from that the guitar is a real looker. Whoever changed strings last was also rather careless - the G string has a bit of leftover denizen from the previous strings poking out, only noticed when I attempted a palm mute and poked myself.

Looking at the slugs, I suspect the guitar has ceramic pickups. I will be removing the strings (9-42) later and pulling the thing apart.

The guitar is full Strat scale, which probably means it sits at the table with the Gen II versions.

The neck is a bit scratchy, needs oil. I hope the frets don't need dressing, as they are already quite low.

Pics shortly once my phone is charged...

Viking, drewcp and Big tuna like this.
  2. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Little more...

The strap buttons are loose and WILL NOT screw all the way down.

She sounds nice - resonant unplugged and loud when amped. If the pickups ARE ceramic, they sound fine.

The neck feels a bit chunkier than my Gen III Jagmaster, but not by much. Set up is pretty good aside from the G string remnant.

There is some microphonic action when using the selector switch or tapping the pickguard. Not too cool.

drewcp and Loin Lover like this.
  3. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
  4. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

20200924_160325.jpg 20200924_160351.jpg 20200924_160358.jpg 20200924_160531.jpg 20200924_161526.jpg

So... 90% sure it's basswood. No problems there.

Ceramic pickups with a .47uf cap and 500k pots. I know Squier used to do this quite often (and maybe still do) for guitars equipped with ceramic bar pickups, so this isn't unexpected.

Already starting to think I might drop some GFS Lipstick pickups in there, but who knows. Next step is to get her cleaned up and get that fretboard oiled...

Shine, Viking, drewcp and 3 others like this.
  5. Big tuna

Big tuna Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I think it's cool looking congrats. If you could find a custom pg for 3 jaguar pu's that would be interesting.

6. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Cool! I had a Fernandes offset a couple of years ago that I really regret getting rid of.

[​IMG]

Shine, Big tuna, drewcp and 1 other person like this.
  7. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
  8. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    image.jpeg Nice, That is sweet. I built an offset strat once.

Shine, Big tuna and drewcp like this.
  9. Jes Woodland

Jes Woodland Squier Talker

Sep 4, 2020
    Nottingham UK
    HNGD... Its a beauty! I've got it's big brother!

Attached Files:

Shine and drewcp like this.
  10. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Thanks guys, and thanks for posting more offsets. I want that Fernandes. Never met one I didn't like!

11. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
  12. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Years ago when I had to go back to Florida to take care of my parents' estate I answered an ad to adopt a Persian cat. It turned out the owner's husband owned a small local guitar shop and was a Fernandes fan and his whole house, and a lot of his shop, were just full of the guitar brand. I never saw them as I just came to get the cat.

13. brodg68

brodg68 Squier-Meister

Jun 11, 2017
    NC
    I swear by "goof off" which is mostly naphtha - as always test in a place where if it damages finish ... never had a problem with it and it has gotten a lot of mystery gunk off. Hats off to you for taking before and after pictures - I always for get that ...

most of all - happy for you and the guitar found a good home

Robbmonster likes this.
  14. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    The remnant of the old string still in the saddle...o_O who did that? And who told that person that it was an okay thing to do? Somebody has some explaining to do.

Robbmonster likes this.
  15. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Ridiculous, huh?

And not the first time it has happened to me buying a used guitar.

One time I bought a guitar and when I restrung it, the string just WOULD NOT tighten. It would get close then just slip out. This happens to me sometimes, as I am terrible at changing strings.

Found out after some close scrutiny that on this occasion it was because of a stray string ball left in the block. No string attached to it, just the ball itself. Removed it with a toothpick, and no probs after that :)

BarnyardShark1979 likes this.