NGD soon Squier "SQ" Strat 83-84

Discussion in 'Japanese Vintage Squiers' started by Tamarindo03, Sep 19, 2020.

1. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    drewcp, mb doug and DJGranite like this.
  2. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    my bad...
    when you posted "its listed in the classifieds"
    I just assumed you meant Squier-Talk classifieds forum.

mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  3. mb doug and dbrian66 like this.
  4. szombat62

szombat62 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2015
    Rotherham, S Yorkshire UK
    That looks like a great collection of SQs there. Will be interested to know how the new one plays and sounds. Thanks as always for sharing these photos

mb doug, dbrian66 and Tamarindo03 like this.
  5. Tamarindo03

Tamarindo03 Squier-Nut

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    She’s ready

It cleaned up pretty nicely. Still some few rusty parts but almost not worth mention it. I spent 3 hours cleaning, polishing and adjusting and it definitely was worth the time and effort.

Sadly the neck has no date written on it so i can’t find out exactly when it was made - and sometimes SQ numbers are all over the place. It’s common that some few necks have no dates, so no problem and I dating it to 1984 because of the non slotted tuners.

The body is funny. At first, it is an Alder body, you clearly can see that by its color and grain in the neck pocket. It has a worm route like some earlier SQ Strats but the neck pocket has some markings around the screw holes you often see on E-Serial Strats. All the soldering joints are original and untouched, so it definitely is factory original.

Remember there is this "Squier SQ-5 hot rod pickups" sticker that came with the guitar. The pickups are the plastic bobbin ones with square holes. The pole pieces are slightly staggered. My white rosewood SQ Strat with pickups that look identical are completely flat. The pickups in the new black SQ are hotter and spankier than the ones in my white SQ. There are different theories about the different pickups and their designation.

And how does she plays? Like already mentioned yesterday, there is some liveliness in that guitar. She feels very "airy" to play, resonates very good and has that woody tone. Weight is 3.28 kilograms. Neck is super comfortable, feels a tiny bit thinner than on my other SQ. It’s a joy to play.
    I’m not good at describing pickups. They’re sounding nice to my ears. Very clean, punchy, nice attack... definitely hotter than the ones in my other SQ.

She’s a damn fine made, playing and sounding guitar in 100% original condition. I felt like home with the first playing and she definitely will get some playing time :)

Below some more pictures.

Cheers, have a nice time!

5FD6B9FB-A0F4-459C-A007-3A43764C0524.jpeg 7CB76CDC-8817-4A57-8E6B-1A9E34F60DCE.jpeg 9C956471-B0E0-4E63-AF8B-970D3333173A.jpeg 17629BC6-973C-4F07-8ABB-DB43348057EE.jpeg 962721F7-413D-4377-A819-39E16AE6749C.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  6. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    Beautiful!

Yes, my late 83 has slotted tuners. Hot rod 5 pickups with flat pole pieces, but the same sticker as on yours. I think my serial number is 50k less than yours. 84 could be correct for yours, but interesting there was no date.

7. Tamarindo03

Tamarindo03 Squier-Nut

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    Some of those stickers have a wrong Squier spelling, that’s funny. On some stickers "Squire", mine is written with "Squier".

dbrian66 and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  8. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    B3564030-99D6-4C8D-A8C6-2C066DBB7C37.jpeg Mine is misspelled for sure!!

9. Tamarindo03

Tamarindo03 Squier-Nut

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    Haha, spelled even mor worse than i had it in mind:D

10. Ya "SUQIER" ... haha!
    An absolutely gorgeous Stratocaster. Well done. Cheers, Barrie.

dbrian66, drewcp and Tamarindo03 like this.
  11. szombat62

szombat62 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2015
    Thanks for the update and pictures certainly a great find and interesting to hear about the slight differences between the two. My white SQ is one of the earlier ones, it has a low serial number and slotted tuners. As I bought it new in 84, I can be sure it is from 83. It has less hot pickups that I find are quiet mellow and have changed in tone over the years. It’s a heavy body, sen wood I expect.

It is not dated on the neck either.

What ages your other White SQ, just wondering if it is earlier, the wood is more likely sen and alder perhaps being used on some of the later ones as I always believed the bodies were sen.

Again a great deal. Here is a recent photo of mine with my latest. First and last together and both MIJs

Attached Files:

12. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    I don't know how accurately the serial numbers work for dating an SQ,
    but here are my neck dates and serial numbers from my SQs
    09-21-83 035xx
    10-09-83 08333

13. jnz84

jnz84 Squier Talker

Feb 14, 2020
    New Zealand
    Wow!! Excellent collection!

Tamarindo03 and dbrian66 like this.
  14. Tamarindo03

Tamarindo03 Squier-Nut

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    Very nice! White with rosewood just looks beautiful. My white SQ Strat has the date 6-27-84.

My '83 Tele also came with slotted tuners, but i changed them with the ones from my white SQ Strat - like it the strat better with slotted tuners.

My white SQ Has a relatively heavy basswood body - basswood can also be on the heavy side. I think most of the SQ Strats are made of basswood. Of course there are always some few examples with sen ash or even more few with alder. Most of the SQ Teles and Precision Basses are made of sen. Bullets are basswood again. You have to check your neck pocket to find out what yours is made from.

Cheers!

15. szombat62

szombat62 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2015
    Thanks for your comment. I have to say that I haven’t had the neck of the SQ off myself as I don’t like to do that for fear of messing it up! The last time I had a set up I asked the tech to see if there was a date on the neck, but unfortunately there isn’t one. As I bought her from new in February 84 from old stock, I can be confident it will be late 83, the slotted tuners and low serial number point to this. The Fender sitting next door is definitely Basswood and is really light, like alder, yet the SQ is noticeably heavier. Like you would expect an ash bodied Strat would be. Personally, I would never believe they could be the same wood, but obviously they could be. One day I may get someone who can put it back together again to look and I’ll get an answer... but not just yet!

Tamarindo03 likes this.
  16. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Squier-Meister

Aug 2, 2011
    So Cal

17. Tamarindo03

Tamarindo03 Squier-Nut

Mar 18, 2017
    Lucerne
    @vintageguitarz

They startet the big headstock Squier CST models in 1983.
    And not all 80's Squiers were made by Fujigen. They already had production in Korea in the late 80's.

As a product manager at this time for Fender/Squier, how can you missed all that?;)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Guitarmageddon likes this.