NGD - Silver Grey Greg Bennett Malibu MB-1

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Jim Baritone, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    My Fastback has a maple neck with a maple board. The wood used for the neck itself is no where near even Squier Affinity Quality. I will take a couple of photos. It is low grade maple with the remains of a small knot dead center of the neck. The headstock is grafted and out of better grade maple.
    An IC Standard would have a one piece maple neck with a skunk stripe, and even the wood used for the stripe would be higher quality than that used for the main part of this neck.
    Again, I will say that you will never know it playing the guitar, but I like to tell the whole truth, good and bad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hardin holly

hardin holly Squier Talker

Sep 22, 2015
    YEAH THE NECKS ON MINE LOOK NOTHING LIKE THAT THE TWO SQUIER STANDADS I HAD ONE WAS MADE IN CHINA GOT IT NEW FROM MUSICIANS FRIEND COMPLETE GARBAGE FRETS WERE TERRIBLE NO SKUNK STRIPE ON THE CHINESE ONES THE OTHER ONE MAKE IN INDONISIA BY CORT MUCH BETTER BUT THE FIRST 7 FRETS WORE OUT FAST AND BOUGHT IT LAST WINTER ONE OF THE SCREWS THAT HOLD THE JACK PLATE DRILLED TO CLOSE TO THE EDGE SO WOOD BROKE WOULD NO LONGER HOLD TOOK THE PICKGUARD OFF TO SHIELD CAVITY HORIBBLE ROUTING AND THEY JUST PAINTED OVER ROUGH EDGED SAWDUST MY MALIBUS ARE FACTORY SHIELDED AND SOME OF THE BEST ROUTING I HAVE EVER SEEN AND THE JACKSON DINKY MADE IN JAPAN THAT I JUST SOLD HAD A SLICED HEADSTOCK LIKE THAT NOT A CHEAP GUITAR

3. hardin holly

hardin holly Squier Talker

Sep 22, 2015
    OH ANOTHER THING ABOUT MY LAST SQUIER STANDARD I HAD UP TO ABOUT TO MONTHS AGO THE TONE POTS WERE WIRE BACKWARDS IT HAD CERAMIC PICKUPS NOT THE ALNICO LIKE THEY WERE SUPPOSE TO BE THINK IT WAS A MISTAKE BY CORT BUT STILL FENDER SAYS THEY CHECK THESE THINGS FOR QUALITY CONTROL BUT I GUESS THEY DONT DO A VERY GOOD JOB NO EXCUSE FOR ANY OF THIS MY MALIBU MB3 HAD IT ALL APART PUT IN THE FENDER PICKUPS OTHER THAN THAT ALL STOCK AND PRETTY MUCH PERFECT EVERYTHING AND I BOUGHT IT USED AT THE END OF SPRING 0%FRETWARE AND IT WAS MADE IN 2002 I BOUGHT IT OFF EBAY USED BLOWS AWAY THE NEW SQUIERS WILKINSON TREMOLO GROVER TUNERS 3 PIECE AMERICAN ALDER BODY EASTERN HARDROCK MAPLE NECK/FINGERBOARD DUNCAN PICKUPS BIG STRAP PEGS 2 ON THE BOTTOM THERE IS NO SQUIER THAT COMES STOCK WITH ALL THIS OH ALMOST FORGOT FULLY SHIELDED RETAL PRICE WAS 639.00

4. techowiz

techowiz Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Can anyone tell me if the Greg Bennet mb-1 comes with Duncan designed pickups? PUPS don't say it on them.... Also I am looking at a Squier Affibity strat vs the MB-1. Is the Affinity a BETTER choice?

5. techowiz

techowiz Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
  6. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I have no experience with the MB-1. I have the Fastback and the TR-1.
    That site has all of the specs on it for the entire line.

7. techowiz

techowiz Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Jim- how does the GB MB-1 compare to a squire Affinity strat- quality, playability, tone etc?

8. byronius

byronius Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2012
    Oklahoma
  9. byronius

byronius Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2012
    Oklahoma
    This just says single coil pickups

Attached Files:

10. techowiz

techowiz Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Went with Squier Bullett. Tried out a used Samick MB-1 . Not impressed. Neck too thick for my taste, pickups not very good, headstock takes getting used to.

11. Vinny29

Vinny29 Squier Talker

May 6, 2018
    Canton, Ohio
    Does the Samick Greg Bennet Malibu MB-1 have a scarf joint on the neck?

12. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Left the Forum
    YES - you can see it in photos, and you just revived a 4+ year old thread, it's better to start your own new one

dbrian66 likes this.
  13. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    The neck photos in this thread, posted by @Ahnlaashock are not the same model of guitar that @Vinny29 was asking about.

But you are right about one thing. A new thread would be better.

dbrian66 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  14. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Left the Forum
    All Samick Greg Bennett guitars have a scarf joint.....yes a new thread would be good....

dbrian66 and drewcp like this.
  15. Vinny29

Vinny29 Squier Talker

May 6, 2018
    Canton, Ohio
    https://www.gluedtomusic.com/blog/1/headstock-and-scarf-joints-explained/

Well, now I understand scarf joints. See attached article. I did not realize that tilted headstock on production guitars this is very common. From the article I don't like a scarf is something to shy away from. I have looking at Greg Bennet MB-1 or MB-2 Strats, appear to be very good quality for cheap. Necks look on the chunky side which I have been desperately looking for in a Strat.

dbrian66 likes this.
  16. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    The Bennet stuff is cheap on the used market, or most of it. The Fastback and the Torino are both excellent guitars that need nothing but the pickups changed. The pickups are usable, but they are one of the reasons the line is priced as it is. Along with the headstock.

dbrian66 likes this.