NGD SGW CXS SE

Discussion in 'Other Squiers' started by Davey, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Gotta love that title! like codes :)

A Goodwill auction score... sort of. Honestly I wish I had not bought it, don't know why I did other than a momentary laps of rational thinking. I poked it for a buck at 42 and then wished somebody would bid right up till the end :(

Nothing "wrong" with it just didn't need it and not looking for something to do. Fret ends took quite I bit of work, they were horrible, board was as dry as anything I have seen, a few scars on the lead edge. A few scratches but over all good shape. Nice thick pick guard and the thickest back cover I have ever seen! usual low end electronics but tuners are pretty good. Skunk was not well finished.

When I first inspected it I though if they just made that truss nut a 1/4" longer it would have been a nice bullet end............ well the dammed nut was almost completely backed off! Nice fun time was had turning the nut until it caught and thankfully bottomed and functions as should.

It beat into shape quite nicely though. I do not think these are on par for fit and finish with the older CAE SE's but sure passible for build bones. Price was right :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and THE ONE TIME FedEx ever arrived before 5pm so the wife could take delivery for me ........... and I could fess up :) I don't hide things but don't go out of my way to overly share either. ;)

jjudas, Stratlover84 and dbrian66 like this.
  2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    What’s your plans for this? Looks like a great start for a project.

That’s funny about the wife. I sometimes get the “look” if too many packages come in a short period of time. She’s doesn’t care too much about the guitars. She has even given me several of my guitars as presents. But she definitely does not understand the obsession! LOL

3. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Plan? not sure.

Logically I should string her up and set her free with the hope of recouping my money.

Realistically? probably will end up in the pile of things I think I will get around to later......... yet again.
    Don't think I have a case or bag for it either. I was almost caught up with that and being as I have amassed close to 30 guitars (seriously don't know)that was no small feat.

Might steal/swap the guard for my artic white MIM JLV build, same screw pattern. The one on it now is darker and I like this lighter one a lot.

dbrian66 likes this.
  4. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    The good thing about SGW is that I get a shipping box and a ton of bubble wrap, brown paper, and peanuts.

dbrian66 and Davey like this.
  5. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    It's all fun till you have 10 plastic trash can bags full of the stuff! :)

I almost feel sorry for them, I mean I swear they spend more on packing materials than they charged me for shipping. Even at high volume pricing this stuff is not cheap.

dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    True. I think I tossed several 50 gallon bags of peanut packing. The brown paper wrap comes in handy. They wrap the guitar with enough bubble wrap that I can use on 3 to 4 guitars. ha ha

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    OK, I could not leave it alone. Kind of a quick hack job but I whipped out the Forstner and drilled out the cavity for HH.
    [​IMG]

I was itching to try this set out. Asian humbucker sized P-90's..... or so they claim. Simple three way with one tone one volume and treble bleed. Funny, when I built the guard I used dime sized pots because I was originally going to shove this in a cheapo body that could not take the big pots. Sure it will be fine.
    [​IMG]

Now if my lazy ass would just string her up......... which is what I originally went out there to do last night!

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Oh, and I don't know what kind of would this is but it is NOT the same as the CAE SE's. It is softer and doesn't smell great. I have bored out two other SE bodies for other past builds.

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That looks great! You work fast!

Get it strung up so you can let us know how it sounds.

10. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Thanks! interesting I notice this morning that this headstock is quite I bit shorter than the others. Was looking at a for sale add for another SE and looked at this one and said..... that aint right. Seams like it may be thicker too. These are flat not the same guitars as the first run at all.
    [​IMG]

11. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    Sooo, thought I would string her up, turned out to be a neck off affair due to needing to be shimmed, along with having to adjust the nut...... ended up taking way too long.
    My initial reaction to these HB sized P-90's is favorable, powerful with a nice growl. We will see after the honeymoon faze is over :)
    [​IMG]