NGD (second one this week)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by blackspider57, Jul 31, 2020.

1. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    GROTE Electric Guitar Semi-Hollow Body Set-in Neck (VS)
    Once again I am more than pleasantly surprised and impressed by the quality of this guitar considering the rock bottom price of $159.00 shipped to my front door.

Fit/finish, looks, feel and even tone (with a bit of patient fiddling with my amp) bring forth a guitar which is very playable and easy on the eyes as well. Having once owned a Gibson ES-335 I can safely say this is not close to the "real thing" in both price and quality, but it is just as much fun to play. (maybe more?) :)

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 3.31.24 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 3.31.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 3.32.12 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 3.32.49 PM.png

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  2. mozilla

mozilla Squier-Meister

Jun 10, 2020
    Austin Texas
    Gro-Tay.
    Sweet.
    Looks fantastic.
    Thin neck or chunky?
    Gibson style pickups?
    If you could change something simple on it....what would be the first mod?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  3. blackspider57

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    "Semi Chunky" neck? C shaped.
    The Gibson "Style only" pickups could be better, but for me, they do the job. Tuners could be better, controls as well, but if that was the path I was going to go down, I would have bought a better guitar.

I am having a late in life fascination with cheap guitars, and trying to make up their limitations with my playing ability. :) My current favorites are my Bullet Strat, Telecaster, Mustang, and my new Grote "Jazzy" guitar. All tons of fun to play bone stock.

4. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Grote used to sell that model in a Miami Blue finish. They were sold out so I emailed the seller who also sold them at a higher price on eBay. The seller said IIRC they would be restocked at some point. Well, they never were as far as I know. They are unavailable on Amazon and even on eBay at the higher price and with shipping.

I wonder how it compares to the Firefly 338. The FFs have been going up in price and the last time I say them they were $169 ... with $20 shipping, and that was not on Amazon. I haven't seen the 338s listed on Amazon in several months.

Most reviews I've read put the Grotes slightly ahead of the FFs in terms of quality. I hope so because as I said I returned two of the three FFs I purchased. But I'm very happy with the one I kept, a gold-top 338 model.

I'm still somewhat interested in these new quilted top Grote thinline Teles ... but I kept waiting for both a review and my ship to come in (that is, more money).

Taurus likes this.
  5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Squier-holic

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
  6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I like the chunky neck info, the FF338 I had was too thin, and easy to pull out of tune playing vigorously (though it did go back in tune afterwards), how is the neck compared to the Jazz box? (which I have)

I like that it’s actually 335 shaped (don’t care for the FF pointy horns).

Is the fret and inlay quality as good as the jazz box, because on mine it was miles above my 338, or FFTH?

Lastly, I take it the back is black?

7. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    HNGD! She is a looker.

Great point! Speaking for myself, often preconceived fun is equated to cost. Yet how many of our favorite fun-to-play guits are inexpensive when new or from parts we massaged together the way we like them? Enjoy.

8. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Good looking guitar.

9. blackspider57

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    Yes, they are. Very nice quality.

Attached Files:

radiotech likes this.
  10. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Squier-Meister

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    HNGD, I have been looking at both Grote Semi Hollow Body Guitars, the GROTE Electric Guitar Semi-Hollow Body Set-in Neck (VS) and the GROTE Jazz Electric Guitar Flame Maple top Semi-Hollow Body Gold Hardware (brown), both $169, still trying to decide which one to try.

radiotech likes this.
  11. Big tuna

Big tuna Squier-holic

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I really like the finish on that nice guitar man

Shine likes this.
  12. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    WOW, did not expect a burst back!

13. blackspider57

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    The family of GROTE.
    5 so far :)
    Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 11.15.02 AM.png

14. Shine

Shine Squier-Nut

Nov 29, 2016
    Rings of Saturn
    As Tony the Tiger used to say, "They'rrrrrre Grote!" :D

AllroyPA and radiotech like this.
  15. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Mercifully, nobody here has yet in this post cited the (in)famous "I am Groot" pun for the guitar brand.

But soon, very soon it's gonna come up ...right?

16. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Great collection ! They should sponsor you ...

Treehouse likes this.