NGD - Pawn Shop find - Korean 1997 Standard Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by stressdoubt, Feb 7, 2020.

1. stressdoubt

stressdoubt Squier Talker

Jul 31, 2017
    Isleworth
    C9F8426A-ADEE-4A7E-8CFA-5CCADAF1BC4E.jpeg A5F2FCD6-3627-422C-8A2B-B33597A2608B.jpeg 3CA33388-C6C5-40B0-9398-544E52968165.jpeg ED95D5EE-9F7D-42C6-957E-B5453B8E0049.jpeg FA590331-F8D9-4B06-8E18-14056B769B56.jpeg Found this yesterday in a local pawn shop - only stopped in there to kill a few mins whilst waiting for a bus. Picked it up today for £90 and it is pretty much mint. I think it’s a Standard from 97. Have had a tinkle on it this afternoon and it sounds great - one or two minor issues with the electrics aside

Very happy Jimbo!

Rat cam 68, txflood, B Stock and 21 others like this.
  2. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    1997 MIK... Now that's a sweet Tele. HNGD.

JurnyWannaBe, stressdoubt and drewcp like this.
  3. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
  4. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

You know on this side of the pond a tinkle can be what little kids do in the restroom...

5. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Nut

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    On their side of the pond, when a girl asks you to "knock her up", she's talkin' 'bout something TOTALLY different.

6. stressdoubt

Jul 31, 2017
    Isleworth
    LOL - no I had no idea (whistles innocently)

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  7. The very first thing I saw was the incredibly wide marker spacings on the 12th fret. It just stuck right out.
    I've never found a guitar in a pawn that wasn't over priced. Needless to say, I've never bought from a pawn shop.
    Nice Tele!

Cheers, Barrie.

8. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Happy NGD! Looks like you got a good one.

JurnyWannaBe and stressdoubt like this.
  9. wickedtools

wickedtools Dr. Squier

May 16, 2010
    west texas
  10. stressdoubt

Jul 31, 2017
    Isleworth
    Ha! Nice one Barrie - I hadn’t noticed that until you pointed it out!

11. For some reason that was the first thing I saw. Funny how that works. Cheers, Barrie.

12. waynes world

waynes world Squier-Nut

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
    HNGD! A purple pearl pg looks great on black teles!

stressdoubt and squierbilly like this.
  13. squierbilly

squierbilly Dr. Squier

Apr 21, 2013
    sunny phoenix
    12th fret spacing is how you can identify a korean model..
    Great teles,, post pro tone i believe..
    How does it sound compared to the MIM? Fender..

14. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace Squier-Meister

Sep 28, 2018
    Washington state
    Teles in this part of the woods are straight unicorns. Never seen a tele at a pawn shop

15. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    These are what became of the VN5, VN6 and VN7 gold logo models... At the end of 1996 the folks making CN5 and CN6 gold logo models switched over to making Protones. The folks at the place making VN models then continued making VN gold logo models into 1997. Then changed over to the KV97 and later KV98 models... This is why u will see VN7 models but never a CN7 model...

The KV97 and KV98 were the same thing as the VN7 gold logo model, except for they changed the headstock logo and moved serial # to back of neck near body. They also changed color scheme. Out with midnight wine and midnight blue and they brought in candy apple red and lake placid blue to replace them... And last up they changed tuners from trapezoid to gotoh style. But, the 1st few KV97 models built still came with trapezoids...

Zzzzzz… KV97 Tele with gotoh style tuners... Not mine... KV97Tele.jpg
    KV972Tele.jpg
    KV97Tele5.jpg KV97Tele3.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  16. stressdoubt

Jul 31, 2017
    Isleworth
    Hey Squierbilly - the MIK is a little more aggressive on the bridge pickup but the neck is not as articulate but it is sitting at an angle so I will get a better idea once I tinker with it this weekend. The other Tele is my MIJ FSR from a few years back that is my no 1 - a frankly awesome guitar that I gig with - it’s got vintage style stock pickups. The Standard reminds me of my old CV50 which had Alnico 5 pickups but it’s difficult to compare as that was through a different amp and I sold it a while back

Here is a link to a little snippet of some playing - through a Boss SD-1 and then stacking a Boss BD-2 on top - all going into a Blues Deluxe

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8TNLumgBDZ/?igshid=1p2mkymsd5zts

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    JurnyWannaBe and squierbilly like this.
  17. stressdoubt

Jul 31, 2017
    Isleworth
    Just spotted something on the photo of the back of the headstock. The high e string tuner is off axis a little - in exactly the same way mine is - how odd is that?

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  18. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    I think the guy they had working for them was an ambi-turner... Like the guy in Zoolander. He could only turn in 1 direction... So this guy when he would get to the end of the headstock would start becoming nervous. As quite often he knew what was coming up next...

Being nervous about having to put so much effort into deciding which way to turn after reaching the end of the headstock his concentration would be shot... Leading to that final tuner quite often not being lined up right... That's my best guess as to why that model has that final tuner lined up wrong on more then 1 of them... Its about the best I can come up with...

19. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas