NGD...Harley Benton PRS clone...a quick review:

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by billyb, Jul 30, 2021.

1. billyb

billyb Squier-Nut

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    HB calls this model the "CST 24 Deluxe".
    Basically a spin on the PRS SE Custom 24 but with some Santana P-90 features :)
    Mine is a Dark Silver Flame top.
    It was considered "B stock"...They never tell you why or post pix so just cross your fingers I guess :)
    (NOTE: I have ordered B stock from Thomman before and had zero issues...but I still wish they would tell you why it is being sold as B stock !)
    This particular axe is in near perfect shape but it's just kinda dirty...the nut and binding on the neck has some factory residue along most of the length...it's cleanable but I may just leave it.
    Also the pickups didn't have the factory plastic skin over them like a new guitar would have...no biggy !
    No pick marks or impact damage anywhere.
    The truss rod cover has a couple of blems in the gloss...again no biggy.
    Back plate did have the plastic skin intact :)
    I had seen a few YT vids that claimed this guitar "Weighs Nothing"...THAT is not true...I'd say it's in the 7.5 lb range...def not a lightweight IMO.
    (My Grote S Type is still my standard for a well built lightweight guitar @ 6 lbs even :) )
    It took 3 weeks from Germany to Cancun,Mx and was double boxed.
    I had also ordered a Roland Micro Cube GX and that was in the big box as well...$351 total for both to my door...
    Other than the misinformation re: the weight, I'm really happy with this axe...good tuners,nut is well cut and is actual bone, really nice big block for the trem system, the trem bar is a push in style with a tension screw so it doesn't just flop around, neck and action are really,really nice and those P-90's are sweet :)
    Any cons???
    Well...the P-90's don't allow for much up and down travel in relation to the strings...I guess I can just adjust the individual pole pieces if I want to tweak the dynamics.
    And the factory strings were dirty and tarnished...
    Final thoughts:
    4 SMILE AWARD...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED :) :) :) :)
    Any questions just ask away !!!
    san6.jpeg san1.jpeg san2.jpeg san3.jpeg san5.jpeg

2. dtsreiuqs

dtsreiuqs Squier-Nut

Oct 18, 2015
    not here anymore
    Interestingly, these are issued in LH version, in several color options... :cool:

How works the tremolo, @billyb ? o_O

D

billyb likes this.
  3. billyb

billyb Squier-Nut

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    It's very nice...I floated it just a little bit and it has a nice light action for trem effects...I don't do dive bombs...
    I really like the fact that the trem arm is user tensionable (?)
    I think it's a better system than the Affinity series by far...

fattboyzz and dtsreiuqs like this.
  4. miket1117

miket1117 Squier-Nut Gold Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    looks pretty sweet! over the years, i've never been tempted by PRS stuff - mainly because of the price and the lower end guitars just didn't do much for me. but this one from HB i could take a chance on. one of the main reasons i like cheaper guitars - you're not out too much if it sucks.

Eddd and billyb like this.
  5. marklk

marklk Squier-Meister

May 10, 2018
    KC
    Thanks for the review. I really, really want one of the humbucker versions. If they made one in silver I'd probably already have bought one

billyb likes this.
  6. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Dr. Squier

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    Nice! I have one of these in blue and it’s a great guitar.

billyb likes this.
  7. Lonn

Lonn Squier-holic Staff Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Carmel IN
    Admin Post
    Here’s mine with the bridge P90 replaced with a Duncan Designed HB102. I’ve gone through probably 20 guitars since I picked this one up and it’s not going anywhere.

7C05A74C-6143-40E6-A4E0-63CBEBCB200B.jpeg

Eddd, Davis Sharp, Kinnon09 and 2 others like this.
  8. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Dr. Squier

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
  9. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    In the shop building RCs.
    Beautiful guitar and great review @billyb

Kinnon09 and billyb like this.
  10. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    Nice . Hngd !

billyb likes this.
  11. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    That's nice HNGD!!

billyb likes this.
  12. Exhead

Exhead Squier-Nut

Jul 15, 2015
    Nevada
    HNGD! Very nice!

billyb likes this.
  13. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

14. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Nut

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    Great review! And, thank you for the GAS.

billyb likes this.
  15. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Gorgeous guitar. I'm surprised to see the "Made in Vietnam" label, because I haven't seen that on any HB photos. From what I've read, origin labels are not legally required in Germany. Nevertheless, that factory is Vietnam is producing very good guitars.

billyb likes this.
  16. techowiz

techowiz Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Very nice guitar . Enjoy! Label on back of headstock and fact it's manufactured in Vietnam, lead me to believe that HB and IYV share the same manufacturing factory. I just picked up the IYV IP-350. Same exact body and trans black "flamed" finish as your guitar Only difference is it has (2) "Destiny" humbuckers vs P90's. Also is a "hardtail". Have fun with your new axe!

billyb likes this.
  17. billyb

billyb Squier-Nut

Jun 13, 2018
    Central Michigan
    Yeh...
    I think HB started working with the Vietnam factory about a year ago...this model
    is/was being built in both the Chinese location AND Vietnam evidently...I don't mind the Chinese stuff tho...my HB 335 Plus is a fabulous ax...it's Chinese :)