NGD Epiphone Wildkat

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by AngelDeVille, Feb 15, 2017.

1. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia Suburbs
    Maan, she's got a nice top !

AngelDeVille likes this.
  2. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Squier-Nut

Jul 17, 2012
    the basement
    Yep like a couple of others have already noted that is the finish I too like the most from the Wildkat lineup. It looks amazing! HNGD!

AngelDeVille likes this.
  3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier Talker

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    They actually had two of them, this one was a much lower serial #.

The other was just blonde with no figure in the wood, and the mahogany back was a very red with not much figure either, and it was a noticeably heavier. and it was $5 more... but the bigsby was a little better plated.

Yeah I really can't believe they had it that long, It still would have been a deal at full price, but I'm always gonna ask for a discount.

It evens out, I wasn't able to talk them down on a Custom last month, so I did pay more than I wanted to for it, but it was the right guitar for me. and I traded in some neglected pedals and got more than I expected for them. (Changed the pickguard)

keef.jpg

mb doug and surf green like this.
  4. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Meister

Nice score....Iove mine (bought it new from Sweetwater), only things done to it were minimal setup, new strings, of course, adjusted the pole pieces to my liking, and removed the black poker chip. Love the way it plays, and like the fact that it's not just a "copy" of a Gibson model

AngelDeVille likes this.
  5. AngelDeVille

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    What's the poker chip? Is mine missing? Do I NEED one?

I just recently found out there are several types of semi hollow guitars, There's Semi, Chambered Solid, Hollow, Thinline, BBQ shrimp, boiled shrimp, shrimp kabobs, shrimp and grits......

Davey likes this.
  6. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    HNGD! I love AAA flame maple, congrats!

AngelDeVille likes this.
  7. AngelDeVille

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    SO I got the black covers on order, and I'm going to cut about 3 feet out of the wiring harness.

I'm not sure If I'll just wire it like a Les Paul or leave it somewhat stockish.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  8. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    Very cool. I hope it gives you all the sounds and playability you want!

AngelDeVille likes this.
  9. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-Nut

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
  10. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Meister

You know, the black plastic switch ring under the 3 way switch...I take 'em off of Les Pauls too....looks cleaner, not to mention the stupid labeling, "rhythm" and "treble"

AngelDeVille likes this.
  11. AngelDeVille

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ

Ahh... I already took it off!

12. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    I saw one that said "Maryanne" and "Ginger", way cool.

fuelish, AngelDeVille and Kickstand like this.
  13. AngelDeVille

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    So I tried to rewire it myself, and I'm stuck at wiring both pickups to a single tone...

And "50's" wiring is direct from tone to jack, instead of switch to jack correct?

14. AngelDeVille

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    I bought some cheapie black pickup covers, and I was able to get the bridge one to work ok, but the neck was too tall.

Apparently the Epiphone p90's have some odd spacing.

The chrome covers were soldered all to hell, and it took some doing to get them removed without damaging the pickups. The chrome was just too fugly, and had to go.

I got a replacement wiring harness for a decent price on reverb, but the wires are insanely long, (I removed 13" from the jack wire), I'm going to go through and take out all the excess wire later.

I also got a roller bridge, and the bushings just happened to be threaded the same so I just switched the posts and bridge.

I'm going to use the tune-o-matic on my sons Jaguar.

I think I found the correct covers, and they are on the way...

This will do for now...

[​IMG]

I still have the intonation, and some fine tuning left but it's coming along nicely.

Robb and mb doug like this.
  15. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-Nut

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    Did you get "Soapbar" covers instead of "Dogear" covers for your P90s?

AngelDeVille likes this.
  16. AngelDeVille

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    No they are dog ears, the neck cover on the Epiphone is tapered at the front, and the pole spacing is a couple mm narrower.

I think if I would have researched and measured before I ordered the first set, I would have been ok. Actually don't mind the look with just the tabs on it, if the second set doesn't fit I'm leaving it.

[​IMG]

Robb likes this.
  17. AngelDeVille

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    The neck cover is very short but the tabs I cut off make the perfect spacers. Pole spacing is spot on as well.

She looks good.... Damn good...

[​IMG]

radiotech likes this.
  18. fuelish

fuelish Squier-Meister

Love the Thinline Tele :cool:

AngelDeVille likes this.
  19. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    Congrats on that good looking Kat, I'm still in love with mine.

late2guitar and AngelDeVille like this.
  20. AngelDeVille

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    Thanks,

I just recently added the bigsby to that one, Just finally dialed it in last night. It needed a 7/8" spring and I had to bend the handle a little.

I had ordered the bigsby for it, and while anticipating it's arrival, I found the wildcat.

I think the secret is already out.... The local Craigslist has the FlameKat or HellKat with the dice knobs for a mere $666

Honestly, if it wasn't for the shoddy household wiring and cheesy metal covers, I'd have thought this was a $800-900 guitar.

There was a wildkat I left in the store that had no flame, and the mahogany back was deep red with no figure, and the bigsby had better plating, but it didn't look nearly as nice, but played just as well. and it was $5 more.