NGD: Epiphone Les Paul Special I P-90 Worn Black

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Hadronic Spin, Oct 13, 2021.

1. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    HNGD ! It looks beautiful!

Hadronic Spin and StormCaster like this.
  2. danzigdan

danzigdan Squier-Nut

Feb 10, 2014
    WNY
    I want one! I really don't want to backorder one. I miss the days of walking in somewhere, playing a guitar, and then buying it. I want to make sure I get a good one!

3. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    I have bought three Special 1’s and an Epi LP Jr. Zero issues on any of them.

4. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Dr. Squier

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Haven't heard of a bad one since they came out in 2012.

5. Hadronic Spin

Hadronic Spin J Squier, Esquier Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Get it back!

Thank you!

They are incredible for the price point, and I'm glad I got the black one to go along with my worn cherry. No interest in the T yellow, though. 2 is enough...

My 2020 Worn Cherry is also the bolt-on, the LSPI. I like the WC better than the new WB, simply becuase the WC has a rosewood neck from a 2015 LSPI HH...the 2015 neck just plays a lot better.

I've given up on the fingerprints, it's simply the price to pay for owning the WB. Yes, the grain patterns with specific lighting is quite interesting.

Thanks!

I considered a Mustang 90 for a bit, but it seemed that people (online chat) were not impressed with the M90's pickups. Saved over $500!

Great deal. I was totally good waiting 10 months or more, and I told the MF tech not to try to locate one. Well, guess that didn't work...

I once thought the Epi's pickups were ceramic, with no actual proof to support my claim, but I've been schooled since then. Whatever the magnets are, ceramic, alnico, kryptonite, they're pure magic.

Thanks, it doe look good with the right light.

Thanks, and yes I am. I played it so much, my left hand went numb AND cramped up. Love me that Carpal Tunnel...NOT.

Apparently, the Epi LSPI P90 is the KING of P90 shod guitars. Um, yeah, I wouldn't know, I'm simply embellishing in the warm tonal glow of my two Epis...

They are, and thanks.

Thanks...but it sounds better than it looks.

At these prices, one is may be foolish for not at least making the jump and buying one. You most likely will never see one of these Epi P90s new in a GC, so take that leap and order one when they go on sale at either GC or MF. If it doesn't pan out, you'll have not problems selling it.

Thanks!

Again, thanks all.

Regards

Jason

6. Hadronic Spin

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Setup is finally done. Frets finished, fretboard conditioned, strung, trussed and intonated. Again, no issues intonating an Epi lightning bar wrap around bridge.

So, it appears at least the 7nth and the 12th frets are a bit tall, but not unexpected. I'll raise the strings a little, I do have them a bit low for me.

I have some measurements I'll share in a moment, but I want to point out that this new 2021 Epiphone Les Paul Special I P90 Worn Black is by far the HEAVIEST bolt-on Epi I have ever owned. Not by just a little, but a considerable bump in weight compared to my other Epis I own and have owned.

The 2021 weighs 7 lbs 8 oz! When I was hoisting it around at first, I thought I must be getting real weak. Nope, it's my second heaviest guitar (tied with my Fender Player) on the rack, only the Contemporary at 7 lbs 14 oz weighs more. My Affinity Strat weighs 7 lbs flat.

My soon-to-be-donated Epi LSPI HH is 5 lbs 15 oz, followed by my Epi WC P90 at 6 lbs 2 oz and a previously owned Epi Player Pack model weighed 6 lbs 4 oz.

Anyway, here are some measurements.

Weight: 7 lbs 8 oz
    Nut width: 43.04 mm
    Neck width 1st fret: 44.60 mm
    Neck width 12th fret: 53.31 mm
    Neck width 22nd fret: 57.32 mm
    Neck thickness 1st fret: 21.21 mm
    Neck thickness 12th fret: 22.54mm
    Body thickness: 40.45 mm

DCR neck: 8.10 K
    DCR middle: 4.35 K
    DCR bridge: 9.21 K

And a few more pics:
    IMG_3084_LR.jpg

IMG_3139_LR.jpg

IMG_3150_LR.jpg

IMG_3132_LR.jpg

IMG_3146_LR.jpg

Regards

Jason

7. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Dr. Squier

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Before doing anything drastic, why not try tapping them down. It is often what's needed on Epiphone with a few high frets. Hammer and wood dowel often does it.

EDIT: I use the wood dowel as I would a nail. Put end of dowel on end of offending fret and gently tap down with hammer on other end of wood dowel a few times. Check with fret rocker. If it didn't change anything, you have a high fret that needs to be filed down.

High fret.jpg

Yours is by far the nicest black one I've seen. Strange that they only came out with that body style without veneer in the last year or so of its production. I've also seen a TV Yellow somewhere with same open grain.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  8. Hadronic Spin

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    I've used the wooden dowel tap method in the past, and I'll probably do it with the 2021, but not right now. I'll raise the strings a smidge first, and go from there.

Jason

Kenneth Mountain, Shine and Robb like this.
  9. T-Rey

T-Rey Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2020
    Georgia
    Very nice! I've seen a lot of great reviews on them! I have a 1997 LP100 that is a great bolt on Epi as well. HNGD!

10. T-Rey

T-Rey Squier-Meister

Nov 11, 2020
    Georgia
    Looks like full size Alpha pots too. Nice! Better than those dime sized ones for sure!

11. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    West Coast Landia
    That's sharp!

Congrats.

12. miket1117

miket1117 Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    literally gassing up to buy another, this one in black. guy across the state has a 2018 model... we might meet up halfway in columbia, mo. havent decided yet for sure...

13. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    I don't see the cherry P90 version for sale anymore. Perhaps it has been discontinued ?

Robb likes this.
  14. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    Very comprehensive review! Thank you very much for taking the time!

Robb likes this.
  15. BlueSquirrel

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    It looks a bit scary. I'd be afraid to wreck the fretboard by hitting the hammer sideways. Any idea on how to proceed? How about a rubber mallet?

Robb and shingh2002 like this.
  16. miket1117

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    i thought Epiphone stopped making the Spc 1 P90 with just the single vol and tone control altogether, replaced by the one that has dual controls and the switch up top, like regular Les Pauls.

Robb likes this.
  17. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Dr. Squier

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I should have explained my hammer photo.
    I use the wood dowel as I would a nail. Put end of dowel on end of offending fret and gently tap down with hammer on other end of wood dowel a few times. Check with fret rocker. If it didn't change anything, you have a high fret that needs to be filed down.

I edited my hammer photo post.

18. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Dr. Squier

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    So did I. Good thing they kept it.

BlueSquirrel and miket1117 like this.
  19. miket1117

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    for all we know there could be 100s of them on one of those container ships backed up off the coast of LA and Long Beach.