NGD: CV Starcaster

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by radiotech, Sep 17, 2020.

1. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I really didn’t think I would be able to score one of these anytime soon... there aren’t many in the wild outside of GC, and the places that do have them, never seem to have the burst I wanted. Using @so1om’s GASOO mentality (GAS Of Opportunity)... my target was $200 for an affinity, or $300 for a CV. My fave shop has a walnut CV, along with burst (and black) Affy’s, but I don’t care for the walnut, and while I love the Affy satin necks (also a smidge chunkier than the CV), I don’t want to sink new pups, and drill/install a 4 (or 5) control wiring harness into a $300 (pretty much my high end price-wise) guitar.

This CV burst showed up on fb market place for $300 this Sunday, and I expected it to be gone instantly... and it wasn’t. I messaged the guy, and he had a ton of offers, but ALL trades, and lowballs.
    D80494EA-A098-4B76-9B72-ED1F5C1DE68F.jpeg

I met up with him yesterday (masks/spray 99% alcohol Bottle, and a cotton rag) to try it. When I told him my only concern was the candy coated neck, he Laughed, and handed it to me saying “already taken care of”. He’d had the neck satin-ized, and the guitar setup by Third Coast Music for 11’s (fine with me, I usually play 10’s with a wound G). Even unamplified, I could tell the guitar was smooth, resonant, and had a nice physical response to playing.
    184006BD-3469-484D-B7B1-C3B0E1734025.jpeg

Build quality is excellent, binding is nigh-perfect except for a little flash of binding on the top F hole (which I removed with an Xacto knife already, but you can see it in the pic if you zoom.
    45975B7E-17A7-4D10-8619-8EA8219AA39D.jpeg

The neck is not as chunky as the Affinty models, though it feels wider at the nut than most Squier’s I’ve had (I’ll measure eventually). Action is very smooth (and low), haven’t had a buzz yet, and the fretwork is near perfect (may be from the setup, but the others I played were as well).

Unlike the wide-range models on the MIM, and VM Thinlines a few years back, these are not normal size pickups, they are darned BIG, and I like the tone muchly. They are darker than the Thinline ones, but not muddy, and respond very well to careful picking dynamics. I was able to easily nail Georges tone on Octopus’ Garden with the neck pup at 9 (tone at 7), into my MIII’s ‘57 Twin setting with the gain at 6. While you can’t convincingly pull “Ticket to Ride” out of the bridge pickup (just not bright enough), there are some tones here I don’t have in any other guitar.

92AA0494-79F1-42AA-A34B-0BABD1D1CD2C.jpeg

One surprise... the truss hole has a walnut plug! Making me wonder if Fender recycled necks from the previous MP versions... though my recollection is that the Fender badger Starcasters were neck heavy (and this Squier model is more than 2 lbs lighter than I recall them being). It’s well balanced, on the lap, or on a strap... and it has a horn strap peg... which is my fave on a Hollowbody.

Lookin’ good so far!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Stratlover84, Big tuna, scrub and 8 others like this.
  2. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    No mods planned... though if I’d do anything... it would probably be a Gretsch style master volume.

3. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I like the burst as well. Congrats! That's a nice guitar!

radiotech likes this.
  4. so1om

so1om Squier-Axpert

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago now Sarasota
    SOLID!

I mean... semi-solid!

5. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    The next Squier I plan on buying is either going to be this exact model or the CV 70s Jaguar (block inlays, SQUEEEE!). I've had a slight obsession with Starcasters ever since I was a little kid and saw this ad in my dad's old guitar magazines:
    [​IMG]
    I do sorta wish the CV Starcasters came with the 5th master volume knob and the o.g. 70s Fender-style bridge instead of the TOM/stopbar combo, but those are really just aesthetic nitpicks, they don't come close to being dealbreakers.

6. strat_strummer

strat_strummer ^^ Doing what I do best^^ Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Great looking guitar, congrats...

7. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    HNGD!

I would write more about your review but I slobbered all over my Tandy keyboard. Gorgeous!

so1om, mitch_cumsteen and radiotech like this.
  8. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    HNGD, looks great. So awesome that the previous owner already dealed with the neck, sounds like the guitar was destined for your hands, lol.

radiotech likes this.
  9. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Thank you guys!

I showed the listing to my wife, her eyes lit up, and she said: “You’re getting it, right?!”

so1om, Treehouse, Best1989 and 2 others like this.
  10. Big tuna

Big tuna Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Ooh i like that nice guitar!

so1om and radiotech like this.