NGD - Bullet Tele in butterscotch with maple neck

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by Big George, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Big George

Big George Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    It arrived yesterday, I bought it because getting into luthier tricks and modifying, I've never had a maple necked guitar. I remember trying a few 50 or so years ago and never liked the feel, as if I was playing on linoleum. But I figured since MF had them for $129 and I had some discount points, why not? The guitar came pretty well setup but does need more work and the back of the neck felt awful, as if someone forgot to finish sanding it. A 320 sanding block remedied that in a few minutes and now it's smooth as silk. First impression, compared to the surf green Tele with the Indian Laurel fretboard I bought a few months back , this neck feels like a baseball bat. It's definitely thicker than the surf green Tele, but so far it feels OK, just different. Frets are pretty good, they'll need an edging and polishing to make them proper. The pickups are also definitely louder than those on the surf green, no idea why. I'll start setting it up to my specs today and will report back later.

2. Big tuna

Big tuna Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    No pics! oh well enjoy it anyway.

mb doug and Shine like this.
  3. Big George

Big George Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2018
    North Carolina
  4. Stratlover84

Stratlover84 Squier-holic

Jun 16, 2016
    NY - EC
    Nice Teles! Don't know if it's my cell phone or an optical illusion but the butterscotch tele looks gigantic alongside the surf green tele!

mb doug, Viking and fuelish like this.
  5. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    HNGD! Thanks for the review. Enjoy.

mb doug likes this.
  6. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

Does on my laptop as well...

mb doug and Stratlover84 like this.
  7. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    I wholeheartedly wish you good luck with the new Tele. Butterscotch is one beautiful and fantastic color.

I bought my first Squier with a similar purpose. It was a 2002 20th Anniversary Standard in CAR but with a maple fretboard., my first (actually a gift from my wife, but what I'd been looking for, a Strat style with a maple neck). It did not jell with me. Through subsequent Squier's (and other brands), I found that it was not the Standard per se , it was the maple fretboard that was the issue. I cannot get accustomed to them. To me, personally, they look bad when played a while, and they always feel and play badly/uncomfortably. When fretting, they always feel like I am digging the string into the wood. A sensation I've never experienced with rosewood. Since I pretty much do NC's/YN's in Fender-ish (Squier) guitars, all are 20+ years old, or even my newer non-Squier guitars, I have not experienced IL or PF(to my knowledge), so I cannot evaluate them as fretboards. From my personal experience, I figure anything is better than a maple fretboard. Again, that is my own experience, similar to yours but mine being exploring maple fretboards after 45+ years of playing rosewood.

Again HNGD, I hope you enjoy the guitar.

8. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister Platinum Supporting Member

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    Dear Squier,
    Please put a nicer, gold-ink logo on the Butterscotch Teles, even the cheap ones. I'll pay an extra few dollars for it. Plain black looks cheaper than a bad toupee.

Maguchi, Montandy, mb doug and 2 others like this.
  9. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on a fine looking Tele. Have fun with it.

mb doug likes this.
  10. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Just a kicked back frog... Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    mb doug likes this.
  11. Big George

Big George Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    It's probably from the different guitar stands. The surf green is leaning back much more than the butterscotch.

mb doug, Big tuna and Stratlover84 like this.
  12. Big George

Big George Squier Talker

Jan 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    One thing I'm considering, just for giggles, is swapping the necks between these two, just to see if it makes a difference to either one. After a proper setup of the butterscotch and some playing time on it of course. What do you think?

mb doug and ChinaCatSunflower like this.
  13. brodg68

brodg68 Squier-Meister

Jun 11, 2017
    NC
    Congrats @Big George - I am genuinely happy for you. I know there is a lot of talk about how great book matched wood but I like that contrast on your new Tele. I also love the maple neck and I hope you wear it out from playing it so much.

take care

mb doug likes this.
  14. BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana Squier-Meister

May 8, 2020
    n/a
    mb doug likes this.
  15. ChinaCatSunflower

ChinaCatSunflower Squier-Meister

Oct 18, 2018
    USA
    Get yourself a $2.50 gold Sharpie pen, and add some Squier highlights! It works great.

strat81 and mb doug like this.
  16. ChinaCatSunflower

Oct 18, 2018
    USA
    HNGD!

My own $129 MF Butterscotch (Bullet) maple-neck Telecaster arrived today. :)

Yes, the neck finish and fret ends needed some sanding with a fine grit sanding sponge, and then some waxing. Also some judicious tightening of tuner-post nuts and tuner-knob screws. Action and intonation were perfect. Pickups sound killer! Cool color scheme. I am super pleased.

Stay tuned for glamour photo...

mb doug likes this.
  17. ChinaCatSunflower

Oct 18, 2018
    USA
    I think a neck swap would make both of your guitars look equally amazing, if not more so.

mb doug likes this.
  18. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
  19. Big tuna

Big tuna Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Nice looking enjoy!

mb doug likes this.
  20. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Meister

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Looks orange instead of Bsb, not diggin it. Although sruf green tele is kewl. I own surf green affinity strat

Maguchi and mb doug like this.