Newbie looking for info

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Wachisteishon, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Wachisteishon

Wachisteishon Squier Talker

Sep 23, 2020
    Argentina
    Hi, mi name is Austin and i'm from Argentina.

Came here looking for help identifiying a strat body that I think its a Squier but I'm not shure at all.

Bought this guitar in 2008. The neck is from a luthier, so cant identify with decals.

The body has 1 1/2 inch thickness and by the holes in the back had a 2 point trem installed in some other time. It seems like 3 o 4 pieces body and its refinished.

The guitar weights 3,2kg and its very resonant playing unplugged.

Send u some pics if it helps

Thanks in advance for the help

Attached Files:

2. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    As measurements can vary with person measuring, and type of measurement device employed, a pic of the lower neck would be heop0ful; taken from midway down the neck, looking toward the body, showing the body that is below the neck and between the neck and the neckplate. At least to me.

As an example:

NC6 Bullet Series neck body joint.JPG

The thickness here can help to determine whether it is a 'full-size' body or a thinner body.

3. Wachisteishon

Sep 23, 2020
    Argentina
    Other pics

Attached Files:

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  4. Wachisteishon

Sep 23, 2020
    Argentina
    Thanks for the answer. Send u the pics

Attached Files:

5. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

The body has 1 1/2 inch thickness and by the holes in the back had a 2 point trem installed in some other time. It seems like 3 o 4 pieces body and its refinished.

Wachisteishon likes this.
  6. jefffam

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    My guess from the pics is that it is slightly thinner than a full thickness body. Not tons, just slightly. Remember that is a guess based on the photographs.

I'm curious how you would have determined it was once a 2-post tremolo, especially from the back. I don't know of any clues from the back, beyond looking up to where the block attaches, that would show a 2-point tremolo. That woulds of course change with the replacement of the tremolo system.

The electronics and pickguard are not Squier. They appear to be highly modified, given two knobs and 3 toggle switches. The shaping appears different as well.

All that being said, if you like the guitar, the body original manufacture is not highly important. If it is or is not a Squier, really does not matter. Since it has a luthier made neck, it's possible he made the pickguard as well. The block of wood it all mounts to, matters only if you want to change and transfer the neck/electronics/pickguard to a different body.

Good luck with your guitar. Someone else might be able to chime in and identify, but specifics that I know are not present.

7. Wachisteishon

Sep 23, 2020
    Argentina
    The guess about the 2 point trem is based bc under de tremolo springs it has 2 holes refilled. You can see them in the pics of the back. Also I scratched off some of the conductive paint to see if the body was layered o veneer, but seems solid wood.

The guitar itself is very modified, not by me. Has 2 Texas Specials and a Tex Mex in the middle, and the "Knopfler mod" with 1 vol and 1 tone and single pickup selectors.

I really like the instrument and fit my needs, but I have some nerdy fixation about knowing what kind of body ot is.

8. jefffam

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    O.K., although the filled holes would be very deep for a two point I believe. I could be wrong, my only two point has been gone for years.

What does the routing look like under the p/g? It will not identify the maker per se, but it will narrow down time frame and potential models.

There are plenty of knowledgeable people here with far more experience with both different models and numerically. I'm mostly an NC guy in Strats & Tele's, (& basses). So my general information is mid-90's timeline in/on Chinese Yako builds (NC, YN, & CY98, CY99, CY00).

9. The profile on the body edges don't match any Squier I've ever seen. They're not rounded enough. There are so many things not Squier on that guitar, it would be hard for me to believe any part of it is Squier. Looks more like a parts build.
    Cheers, Barrie.

10. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    Welcome to ST. What ^^^Barrie^^^ said.

11. gmt124

gmt124 Squier-Meister

Aug 11, 2019
    Wales, UK
    Hi Austin and welcome aboard the ST, nice looking Strat you got there.

12. Wachisteishon

Sep 23, 2020
    Argentina
    I really dont have any other electric guitar experience to tell, but thinking about ir for a minute it doesnt make sense a bolt all the way through the body.

When I bought the previous owner gave me a Wilkinson vs100 bridge too. Maybe he tried to install it and went too far because the 1 1/5 body.

13. Wachisteishon

Sep 23, 2020
    Argentina
    Thanks for the expertise.

14. Wachisteishon

Sep 23, 2020
    Argentina
    Some more clearer pics to see the body shape

Attached Files:

15. campermoose

campermoose Squier-Meister

Apr 22, 2020
    NYC
    The neckplate with plastic insert and the body contours look a lot like my 1987 MIK '57 "reissue".
    The little bump on the cutaway is also there (not sure if it's on all of the squiers?)
    Are there any markings/stickers in the neck pocket?

IMG_1548.JPG

16. Wachisteishon

Sep 23, 2020
    Argentina
    Its been heavily modified through the years and it hasn´t any marks or stamps in the neck pocket. Whats curious is that the 2 backplate holes near the bottom are right next to the trem cavity, so my thinking is that the trem cavity is oversized. Why would anyone do that? To fit a biggert trem block?

17. Wachisteishon

Sep 23, 2020
    Argentina
    Are there any other strats from late 80's or 90's with 1 1/2 thickness? Thats principally what makes me think its a Squier

18. If you want to believe it's a Squier ... then it's a Squier.

19. Wachisteishon

Sep 23, 2020
    Argentina
    If I wanted to belive, Id rather belive its a body made by the same person who made the neck, a guy who was asked to work in the fender custom shop back in the 90s.

I preffer knowing or at least try to.

20. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    Welcome to S-T. Can't help with identifying the body, but it's a fine looking guitar.