New to the forum and new to bass.

Discussion in 'The Squier Bass Place' started by MrMajstyk, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Toddcaster64

Toddcaster64 Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Ventura
    Welcome fellow So-Cal!

The Jag SS bass is one of those instruments that is just plain fun. Every time someone picks mine up, usually ready to make fun of it, they end up trying to hunt one down for themselves.

I’ve never put flats on mine but if you prefer thicker strings - and I do - find a set where the ends taper enough - the holes in the pegs are narrow and it can be a problem, especially on the E. As to intonation, I’ve had zero problems regardless of the gauge.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    Welcome, and happy new bass day! Careful, you’ll soon find that bad is the best instrument to play!

3. MrMajstyk

MrMajstyk Squier Talker

Mar 1, 2021
    North Hollywood, CA
    I ordered the LaBella Deep Talkin‘ 760FS, .045-.105... We’ll see how that goes for starters.

4. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Welcome to ST @MrMajstyk. I dig the moniker and BTW, nice guitars and gear room!

5. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Squier-holic

Jul 4, 2012
    manhattan
    The Jag is a fine bass. If it's set up and you get a good sound on GB, it'll work for a lot of styles.

I have over a dozen basses, some that are as high end as you can get, but in the winter I'm in a place in Florida and all I have is a Squier. And you know what...it's perfectly fine. The last few posts I put upon YouTube were all done on a $300 Squier.

6. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Nut

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco
    Welcome.

From San Francisco

7. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Hi and welcome to Squier-Talk.

You'll see it is very common for the SS Jaguar to be initially used by guitarists wanting a bass for studio, fill ins, etc. I, myself bought my first bass since 1976 to help my late wife learn bass, and you guessed it, a Short Scaoe VM Jaguar Special. I really like that bass and it has remined part of my bass stable, even with it growing with some full, long scale basses. My son now has my late wives Squier Bronco bass where it will remin until he passes it on to one of his kids. I also gave him my CY P-Bass P/J when I found my YN P-Bass Special P/J.

Basses just like other Squier's seem to grow and multiply. Enjoy playing your Jaguar, bass in general and mostly have fun.

Kenneth Mountain and VealCutlet like this.
  8. LittleGiant

LittleGiant Squier-Meister

Apr 4, 2019
    Norway
  9. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Welcome in and great looking collection.

10. MrMajstyk

MrMajstyk Squier Talker

Mar 1, 2021
    North Hollywood, CA
    The Jag arrived just a few hours ago and all I can say is “WOW”! And that’s an understatement!
    It was well packed, and when I opened the box, it was in a Fender gig bag (I am assuming it was the one that came with the “Stop Dreaming...” pack. In excellent condition. In the pouch was a Fender guitar strap ( again, seemingly part of the pack), and a Korg D1542061-2975-45AB-B03F-8295D11DB2B6.jpeg 70A73719-A625-4DD8-93DB-EF8144EA49DC.jpeg 7A539C25-1386-466F-80A7-78688E1BDD66.jpeg tuner and a Roland pro audio cable, obviously NOT part of the original pack! I think I saw somewhere that the original tuner and cable weren’t very good...so the seller was doing me a favor here! Nice.
    Now the bass itself...and here’s where I was really shocked...it’s in MINT, and I mean MINT condition! Still had the plastic on the pickup cover. Due to COVID, I wiped it down but did NOT do a detail on it, and, well, see the pics:

Attached Files:

11. MrMajstyk

MrMajstyk Squier Talker

Mar 1, 2021
    North Hollywood, CA
    LOVE the LaBella “ Deep Talkin” Flatwounds ! This thing sounds amazing!

12. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Welcome to Squier Talk ! Congrats on a great score !

Strang_Banger likes this.