New Revamped Squier Affinity 2021 Line

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by sixtysix, Mar 23, 2021.

1. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Yeah I imagine for some this is a best of both worlds thing...

65refinyellow and Robbmonster like this.
  2. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

For me, yeah.

I hope.

But given the Jazzy vibrato is aparently integral to its overall sound, and the pickups are more P-90 than Jazzy, I suspect this things will be another beast entirely.

But I still can't wait to score one.

65refinyellow and grizzlewulf like this.
  3. Hadronic Spin

Hadronic Spin J Squier, Esquier Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
  4. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    I could see the appeal of P-90s with a Strat trem and an offset body

5. matttornado

matttornado Squier Talker

Sep 6, 2017
    philadelphia
    welcome! I was just on Fender's official website & all new Affinity models still have the narrow 1.60 nut which really sucks. Some of the advertising from retailers seems to be inaccurate.
    I would assume Fender's website would be accurate with their products specs.

6. sixtysix

sixtysix Squier Talker

Mar 22, 2021
    WA
    I believe Fender's site still shows the old Affinity models (which are still available from most major retailers). Fender still hasn't announced the new models even though they seem to be showing up in some stores already, strangely. So I imagine the 1.60" nut is accurate for the older models which are still for sale but retailers listing the new ones seem to be pretty consistent with the 1.65" nut, shame there's no direct confirmation from Fender though.

Hadronic Spin likes this.
  7. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Nut width doesn't bother me, luckily.

Move from an Affinity to an SG to a Jagmaster, no more than a split second to adjust.

Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones...

Hadronic Spin and sixtysix like this.
  8. Hadronic Spin

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles

Just chatted with IM, they do have a few of the new Affinitys. The have two Jazzmasters LPB with the P90s, I'm gonna try to get there in the next few days. LOL, I'll bring my calipers and see if I can measure their nuts o_O for all of you nuts!!! I'll get a visual on the new Affy Strats thickness, too...

J

9. Hadronic Spin

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    My local guitar shoppe has 4 of the new Squier Affinitys, here are my findings:

On the Jazzmaster, Tele and the two Strats, the nut is in fact 42 mm (from my measurements of 1 21/32).

On the Tele and the Strats, the bodies are the thinner Affinity profile...not full thickness.

The Jazzmaster sounded good amped, but not as growly as my Epi P-90. Sweetwater's add for the Affinity Jazzmaster states it's got P-90 pickups... And the Jazz I played desperately needed neck relief.

All of these Affinitys had the same typical for the series fret work; scratchy on bends but passable fret ends. No sprout for these, as well.

At this point, I did not feel compelled to buy the Jazzmaster at this time, though my wife was for sure thinking I was going to buy some guitar since I went to the shop...

Anyway, here are a few pics here, and some closer ups in the next post.

IMG_2420_LR.jpg

IMG_2421_LR.jpg

IMG_2423_LR.jpg

IMG_2422_LR.jpg

J

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021 at 7:15 PM
    sixtysix and BlueSquirrel like this.
  10. Hadronic Spin

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
  11. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    France
  12. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Nice to see the burgundy looks a touch more burgundy-ish than it does in the promo pics...

13. Hadronic Spin

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Sorry I didn't get some up-closes with the Tele, it just did not register to me...:(

I should also mention, headstock faces on all of these new Affinitys are glossed. However, the necks and Maple boards are similarly finished as earlier model Affinitys...a very thin coat of satin poly.

J

sixtysix likes this.
  14. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Nut

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Why fender site doesnt have these listed? Are they drunk or what

I really like olympic white affinity strat with maple neck and tele with dark board. Wish there was surf green bullet tele available

Hadronic Spin and sixtysix like this.
  15. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Nice to get some confirmation on the specs. If I ever come across one of those Strats I'll have to pull the trigger, lol

16. Hadronic Spin

Jan 27, 2021
    Los Angeles
    The Indian Laurel board on the Jazz was fairly dark, looked and felt pretty good. The fret board almost sold me on the Jazz, but the lack of setup really put a damper on any GAS I may have had, but I want to wait for some in-hands usage before I jump.

The Burgundy Mist Tele had a slightly darker IL board, too.

J

Blues256 likes this.
  17. fries

fries Squier Talker

Today
    Cloud city
    Hi!
    I am a new member, maybe my question doesn't belong here so excuse me if missed the topic. I never had an electric guitar just classical ones and I wish to own one. I would like to go only with Jazzmasters because I love the shape, the name, the feeling. I believe liking your instrument is a huge advantage.

Back to topic. I am from Europe and Squier seems to work here slowly because the local shops just have the old Affinity Jazzmaster HHs. I don't know if I should wait for the new Affinity Jazzmasters or not. I don't understand the difference between these two by reading technical data and I can't try them out side by side. (Even samples are limited) Could you help me with how should I choose?

Thanks!

Hadronic Spin and Kinnon09 like this.
  18. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    Hello and welcome to squier talk.!! Where in Europe are you??

19. fries

fries Squier Talker

Today
    Cloud city
    Hungary.

Kinnon09 likes this.
  20. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    Have you got a local music store?? And have you got a price in mind??