New Revamped Squier Affinity 2021 Line

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by sixtysix, Mar 23, 2021.

1. LonePhantom

LonePhantom Squier-Meister

Jul 17, 2019
    Canberra, Australia
    I'm sure that I could have dialled in a tone that I was happy with, with more playing around, potentially an EQ pedal, etc, but I want to get my "sound" with minimal fuss and playing around with amp settings, etc. I play a bit acoustically on my electrics too, and if it doesn't feel right then it doesn't feel right.

And there's plenty of materials outside of tone woods that would definitely work with the right setups, etc, but I can't deny that there isn't a difference in my ears.

irvinlamar likes this.
  2. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Has anybody heard/seen or read anything new about the new Affinity JM. It's now going on seven weeks since the last post and I haven't seen anything new. Still nothing on the Fender site. No Youtube promo videos. Nothing ... but maybe I've missed something.

I still don't know if these ceramic pickups are "true" JM pickups or straight-ahead P90s. The online notes sometimes say they are Jazzmaster pickups but more often they are just described as "single coils." However I'm thinking they could be JM pickups, but with ceramic magnets, as I have not seen them mentioned as P90s.

grizzlewulf and irvinlamar like this.
  3. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Wish I knew. I'm hanging for one of those Jazzmasters. Can't wait!

irvinlamar likes this.
  4. sixtysix

sixtysix Squier Talker

Mar 22, 2021
    WA
    Yeah still no word from Fender even though the new models have been showing up increasingly on mainstream vendors' websites, especially outside the US... It's odd, I imagine they'll have to say something within the next month or so if this stuff's really gonna be for sale this summer. Anderton's website claims stock of the Jazzmasters are due Sunday, June 20th (a firmer date than I've seen before) but yeah nothing more official than that to go off of. My guess is that Fender doesn't want to steal the thunder of the new Squier Contemporary line that just came out so they're holding off on an announcement and promotional campaign for the Affinities.

Maybe this has been brought up before at some point but I noticed these Jazzmaster pickups have screw pole pieces (much like a typical P90), where as the typical JM pickup has flat pole pieces. The only other Jazzmaster I could find with those screw pole pieces is the J Mascis Jazzmaster (plus the old Squier Deluxe Jazzmaster), so maybe we can expect these pickups to sound something like those (although I'd assume the JMJM pickups were still alnico?). Of course, if looking for a more traditional JM tone, it's still really nice to be able to swap in vintage-style pickups without any further modifications.

irvinlamar likes this.
  5. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    This shows my ignorance of pickups but can you have a "Jazzmaster" pickup with a ceramic magnet? I would think you could but how would that sound I wonder?

I'm sort of betting these pickups are going to be regular ceramic P90s as I keep seeing so many ads saying that they are just single coils. I would think that a good marketing strategy would be to point to the fact they are the Jazzmaster pickups, except with ceramics.

Again, I'm just guessing.

irvinlamar likes this.
  6. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

I'm getting definite p-90 vibes from all available evidence.

But hey, there's nothing wrong with p-90's - the JMJM has them - so I will give them a go before I make a decision about swapping them out.

grizzlewulf likes this.
  7. efjbdejong

efjbdejong Squier Talker

Does anyone have a clue on thickness of the HH strat body?

8. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I just took another look at the Sweetwater ad copy on these guitars. It seemed as if more information has been posted but I may be wrong.

Anyway, according to SW the pickups are definitely ceramic and they definitely the straight-ahead P90s ... and if that is true then I'm definitely not interested in these new models.

Yes as others have said there is nothing wrong with P90s but I was hoping that a Jazzmaster guitar would have Jazzmaster pickups. Yes, yes I know ... many "Jazzmasters" have non-JM pickups ... the JMJM has P90s, the regular Affinity JMs have ceramic humbuckers ... but I was hoping against hope it would have the "true" JM pickups, even if they were using ceramic pickups. A JM is more to me than a guitar with a JM-like offset body.

9. sixtysix

sixtysix Squier Talker

Mar 22, 2021
    WA
    I may have just discovered FSR models for the new Affinities...
    This listing from Music & Arts (owned by Guitar Center) is for an Affinity Telecaster in Natural and has a description and price matching the new Affinities (no images though). There are also listings for a Tele in Ice Blue Metallic plus a Strat in Ice Blue or Natural which match the $249.99 price tag but don't have descriptions to back up the connection further. If I'm interpreting these correctly to be Guitar Center (and subsidiaries) exclusives for the new Affinity models, then the latter two listings are just carry-overs from the old Affinity line, but I believe a Telecaster in Natural would be new. Not the most exciting news (if it's real news at all) if you ask me, but good to know that there'll be more options for those who weren't liking the initial sets of colors. Hopefully we can get some FSR Jazzmasters to add to the only two color options we've seen so far!

Kinnon09 and grizzlewulf like this.
  10. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Since they're the same shape as Jazzmaster pickups, one could concievably swap on some aftermarket JM pickups, and still be into it for quite a bit cheaper than a CV Jazzmaster...especially interesting for those who prefer the Strat type trem.

irvinlamar and sixtysix like this.
  11. sixtysix

sixtysix Squier Talker

Mar 22, 2021
    WA
    irvinlamar likes this.
  12. irvinlamar

irvinlamar Squier Talker

Mar 15, 2021
    Decatur, AL

I haven't seen a brand new Affinity Tele with string through body in about 5 years.. I got a butterscotch one in a player pack... Gotta have the string through on a Tele.. imo

13. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

If I can't see the guitar, I'm calling BS.

The guitar used in the Jazzy vid sounds nice, regardless.

14. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    @Chimey Perhaps the reason that there was no mention of the "belly cut", was not to call out the older players, especially elder ST members who have developed a bit of a beer belly over the years. Better to pleasantly surprise them than to direct the change to them. "Hey fatso, check out the new belly cut on this Tele!"

Chimey and Cochise like this.
  15. sixtysix

sixtysix Squier Talker

Mar 22, 2021
    WA
    In stock?! Hmm, Fender still hasn't so much as teased the new line and I haven't seen any evidence of it existing in the physical realm outside Thailand! Speaking of which, if you're so tempted here's a demo.
    Maybe someone here'll be a guinea pig with this Reverb store, I see they claim to have the Tele Deluxe in stock as well (but none of the other new Affinities).

16. Chimey

Chimey Squier Talker

May 5, 2015
    USA

Lol, most likely. :D

17. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

18. Mervynskidmore

Mervynskidmore Squier-Meister

Oct 6, 2018
    Ireland
    Screenshot_20210609_225335.jpg Saw this pic on Facebook. The Burgundy one looks nice.

19. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    I don’t know if I first saw the Jazzmaster with a Stratocaster trem with Fender or with the G&L Doheny which is part Jazzmaster, part Stratocaster.

While I love the Jazzmaster sound, I don’t like the trem and I prefer the strat trem instead. This Squier has all the right parts.

sixtysix and grizzlewulf like this.