New Revamped Squier Affinity 2021 Line

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by sixtysix, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Fredline

Fredline Squier-Nut

Dec 14, 2020
    Seattle, WA
    Very cool, love the wider nut, big headstock & logo.
    My only gripe which is trivial, is I wish they would just dump the "Affinity" name and call them Standards. I always associate Affinity as lower end Squiers. Confusing that they are not even putting it on the headstock but I won't miss it.
    Wonder what they have in store for the "Bullet" series? I always felt there needed to be a bit wider margin between Bullets & Affinities as sometimes there wasn't a ton of difference feature wise...at least to my eyes. Hope they come out with some cool colors/bursts...kinda tired of Black, White & Sunburst. Need some Shoreline Gold, Burgundy mist and Daphne blues...

grizzlewulf likes this.
  2. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    I think they put all the creative colors in the Contemporary series. I don't love most of those, either, but at least they're different.

irvinlamar likes this.
  3. GEECEE

GEECEE Squier-Nut

Jan 11, 2017
    MI
    Thin-body Standards??? Think I'll be checking these out.

4. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    This possibility pretty much locks in me ordering an Affinity HH JM next paycheck. Already ordered a replacement WBW 3-ply pickguard to make it sorta match my white Bullet Mustang HH.

irvinlamar and grizzlewulf like this.
  5. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Nut

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    FINALLY! A 42mm nut width on the Affinity models. I think the guys in their social media department got tired of my pissin' and moanin' about the 40mm nut and demanded the designers change it. That, or maybe just a coincidence. ;)

Now if I could just get 'em to match maple fingerboards with the cool colored bodies rather than putting them on the boring white, black, and burst bodies all the time.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  6. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Yeaaaa you won't regret it. Squier should hire me to market these guitars I love em so much.

I think the white on white will look sharp, kinda wish I did that instead of painting mine all ridiculous

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    Kinnon09 and BarnyardShark1979 like this.
  7. BarnyardShark1979

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    Just checked Musiciansfriend.com for the Affinity HH JMs and both colors were on backorder/"reserve yours now" which had me starting to low-key panic. Sweetwater has them in stock though. 5 more days til payday.

Kinnon09 likes this.
  8. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    To me this is near Tele perfection.

My earlier model is much to my liking, but compromises such as it being a top loader and the obviously cost cutting all black logo, while in no way hurting its ability to 'do the job,' are none-the-less real and apparent.

Its light weight, though, and thinner body, are to me pluses.

This one? As I say, it to me seem to be low-priced perfection! I'd have snapped it up in a minute if my guitar needs weren't at this point 100% satisfied.

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.01.40 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 9.05.47 AM.png

-don

9. Imagine

Imagine Squier Talker

I'm not so sure I like the new 2021 Affinity Tele models. The thin body and contour would make it less weight. Not sold on the laurel fretboard, and they got rid of the Affinity decal. They also don't mention the type of wood used. My 2020 Affinity Tele I just got this past December has the thick 1.75" body with no contour, maple fretboard, Alder body and the Affinity decal on the headstock. Seems to me they are trying to get rid of the Affinity line of guitars, don't know why. They also increased the price of the 2021 models another $20. I think I'll stay with my 2020 Affinity, yeah, I'm definitely keeping my 2020 Affinity.

BlueSquirrel likes this.
  10. sixtysix

sixtysix Squier Talker

Mar 22, 2021
    WA
    Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!
    Here's a group photo of all my Squiers!
    squiers.jpg
    I've only been playing guitar for about a year or so (finally found time to learn with the pandemic) but I've been very drawn to Fender and Squier.
    As for the new Affinities, I'm torn between the Tele Deluxe and the Jazzmaster. I don't need more HH guitars (as you can see from the pic) but it would be nice to have a long scale hardtail one so I can screw around with lower tunings, I also like the versatility of the two-volume two-tone control scheme. At the same time I'm a fan of the offset shape and am Jazzmaster curious, although I'm unsure of how accurate this new Affinity is to the soul of a Jazzmaster (no rhythm circuit, different vibrato)... I guess some of it will come down to how those ceramic pickups sound (I'm more worried about ceramic single-coils than humbuckers).
    Although I'm not much of a bassist, I am drawn to that Jaguar Bass...
    I would like to have a Telecaster but I'm not really a fan of the comfort carve (or thinner body if it can be avoided), if I could find a string-though full-thickness 2020 Affinity Tele in a color I like I'd prefer that, but it's hard to say what you're getting if you order online with that model from what I can tell, and I don't think any local stores have them in stock.
    As for the colors, I mostly like them but the Charcoal Frost Metallic seems a little closer than I'd like to the Graphite Metallic on my Paranormal Super-Sonic (I prefer some variety in guitar colors) and I'm not so sure about the Lake Placid Blue with a black pickguard like on the Jazzmaster. The Burgundy Mist Metallic looks great though imo, would have to be my first choice! Wish there was a little more variety but hey maybe there'll be some dealer-exclusive finishes we haven't seen yet!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  11. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Interested in that Jazzmaster. Have always wanted one, but was intimidated by the vibrato system.

I crave the sound, and I wonder if this guitar will be missing something by using the Strat vibrato instead of the traditional one.

Once the demos start appearing on YouTube I'll be watching - and, more importantly, listening - with keen interest.

irvinlamar and grizzlewulf like this.
  12. BarnyardShark1979

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    Welp, got effectively marketed to by Sweetwater yesterday, got a "$50 off next purchase upon approval of credit line" email, figured I had planned on getting one of these guitars in the coming week anyhow, so I applied, got approved, and put in my order. $229.99+tax is a pretty nice price, but $179.99+tax is nicer. New Affinity JM HH in Arctic White should be here Wednesday, replacement WBW 3-ply pickguard should be here sometime in mid April.

Now I just need a white J bass with rosewood fingerboard and white pickguard and I will have a full-band white-on-white/rosewood stage setup, as far as strings go. Then I'll need the drummer to get a white drum set, keyboard player to get a white keyboard, the singer to get a white mic, and all of us to get white amps and matching white jumpsuits, lmao. Get super cult-looking (not to be confused with "trve kvlt"-looking).

This will be the 21st electric guitar in my collection, the 9th Squier, 4th offset Squier, and 2nd Squier Jazzmaster.

13. irvinlamar

irvinlamar Squier Talker

Mar 15, 2021
    Decatur, AL
    Finally the telecaster has the string through body again! I may have to scoop on of those jazz masters up..

BlueSquirrel and grizzlewulf like this.
  14. Paulie walnuts

Paulie walnuts Squier Talker

Mar 6, 2021
    Scotland
    I think these new ones look great. I was just about to buy an affinity tele, but now these new ones have the proper string thru body and split tuners, I'm gonna wait. Not too keen on the price hike tho. Harley benton do a similar tale style guitar for less than half the price of squier, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. But I'm pleased with my squier experience so far, so I'm torn between this new affinity, and a harley benton one and a hundred bucks change in my pocket!

BlueSquirrel, Kinnon09 and irvinlamar like this.
  15. sixtysix

sixtysix Squier Talker

Mar 22, 2021
    WA
    News about the new Affinities seems to have been getting around lately, been seeing them in Youtube videos and articles plenty. This article from GearNews claims they'll be out in June, though they don't seem to give much of a source. The article does bring to my attention though that they're listed on Thomann now, which says they'll be in stock in 10-13 weeksa range of mid June to early July, maybe that's where the June release date comes from. Anyone able to verify release date with other sources?

BarnyardShark1979 likes this.
  16. jonfordaz

jonfordaz Squier Talker

Apr 15, 2021
    Arizona
    I'm also brand-new to this forum. Wanted to let folks know that I did reach out directly to Fender and a customer service rep give my "June-July" as the timeframe for availability of the new Tele. Personally excited to get that string-through body. Among those who have one: (1) is string-through truly more "toney" and resonant, and (2) is it technically more difficult to string?

BlueSquirrel and irvinlamar like this.
  17. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Squier Talker

Jan 12, 2021
    Arizona
    1) debatable. Some swear by it. Others claim it makes no difference. If it does make a difference acoustically, it is out of the equation when plugged in.

2. Not at all. The strings go through the holes in the back and pop up through holes in the bridge and go over the saddles and to your tuners.

grizzlewulf and jonfordaz like this.
  18. DADGAD

DADGAD Squier-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    California
    Anyone know if new the Strat bodies full thickness?

irvinlamar likes this.
  19. LonePhantom

LonePhantom Squier-Meister

Jul 17, 2019
    Canberra, Australia
    I'd have to disagree with you there. I think acoustic resonance and tone plays a noticeable part in the amplified sound.

I owned an Ibanez RG20th 550, basswood body, maple neck and fretboard, Edge bridge, all the good Japanese Ibanez stuff. Acoustically, it was a very dull, muddy sounding guitar, even with a brass sustain block upgrades.

I went through a range of pickups, some that should have helped the mids and high-end shine, but they just couldn't combat the inherent muddiness in that particular basswood body. My Ibanez RG470, with basswood body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, and Ibanez Edge bridge retrofitted, is far more lively, even with the stock pot metal sustain block. Acoustically it was very noticeable, and it showed the same response when plugged in, and with similar pickups installed. Sadly, I sold the RG20th because, whilst it looked incredible, it just didn't sing in the same way.

65refinyellow likes this.
  20. AcrylicSuperman

AcrylicSuperman Squier Talker

Jan 12, 2021
    Arizona
    That's ok. We can agree to disagree. I'm glad you feel like it makes a difference though.

I quit believing in tone wood a long time ago. Well, at least in terms of an electric. The body doesn't have to resonate for an electric to function. I find the nut, saddles, pickups (their winds, wire gauge, their magnet material and strength) and the strings (gauge, materials), the pots, capacitors and electronic components are the significant factors in the way a solid body electric sounds. I'd never look at something like string ferrules and believe they have an impact on the electrified tone. It's like claiming a plastic pickguard changed your tone. I can absolutely see a heavier material, such as steel or brass allowing more resonance in the wood, but that wood resonance isn't what is being picked up by your pickups. I wouldn't consider my hollow body to sound any different to any of my solid bodies when plugged in. Acoustically, they are drastically different.

But when it comes to wood, I can't help but wonder why guitars made of metal, glass, stone, acrylic, resin, etc. still sound like guitars? And not even crappy ones. Like good electric guitars.

I know a lot of strat guys that swear by alder bodies. They all vary on maple or rosewood fretboards, which I never found to make much difference either other than stability. But all of them are perplexed by the cardboard strat that just happens to sound like any good stratocaster should. Truth is, Leo never picked woods for how they sounded. He picked woods because they were cheap and available. He was notoriously a penny pincher and he also couldn't play.

It's unfortunate that you went through a range of pickups for your guitar though. Something as simple as your pots could have changed your tone. Just because they say 500k, for example, doesn't mean they are. In the guitar you like, maybe they're 485k but in the one you didn't, maybe they're 437k. Doesn't seem like a lot, but it does make a difference. It's more than enough to suck the life out of an otherwise good guitar.

But that's where I stand on that subject. Your milage may vary. If you believe that it makes a difference, then I encourage you to do so. In a way, it is inspirational. For me personally, you can hand me any guitar. Give me a little time with it, and I'll sound just like me.