New Partscaster Project Begins...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Mr Bob, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    Recently whilst sorting through my big box of parts from old projects I realised that I had all the parts I need for a new partscaster, less one body. My plan is to put together a tele with a P90 neck pickup and a few wiring mods.

One ebay purchase later and I have a Lake Placid Blue tele body and the project begins.

Before getting started, I did a quick mock-up with parts:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    First job was pairing up a six-saddle bridge plate with a set of three saddles by doing a diy Bubba Mod on the plate... A quick bit of drilling later:

[​IMG]

3. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    Next, the neck cavity needed opening up to accomodate the p90 - had some minor chips on the finish around the new rout, but will all be covered by the scratchplate so no worries.

[​IMG]

Having taken the cavity down to uniform depth with the existing one, I will be gluing in a maple block to raise the bottom of the cavity to provide a good fixing to the p90 screw fixings.

4. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Oh boy! This is gonna be a great one!

5. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier Double Platinum Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    eagerly watching this one - great looking build!

6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
  7. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    Shielding today - not from the virus, but with lots of copper foil....

[​IMG]

RoyalWe, speelyei, jbrowning and 3 others like this.
  8. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s going to be cool! What kind of wiring mods are you doing? I am putting together a Tele with the same pickup configuration and haven’t decided on how to wire it. So I am open to any and all ideas at this point.

9. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    Current plan is a P90 in the neck and tele pup in the bridge - both just regular single coil units - I did think about using stacked pups, but going with regular pups in the first instance as I already have some and will see how these work out first.

I am going to wire these to a standard three position tele selector switch for bridge/both (parallel)/neck positions.

Then going to use pull pots on both the volume and tone controls - one will put both pickups into series, the other will bypass the tone control (giving a slight passive boost).

Will also use a treble bleed on the volume pot, tone cap will be a sprague orange drop.

dbrian66 likes this.
  10. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Love the color..

Mr Bob and dbrian66 like this.
  11. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    That blue with the white guard looks nice, can't wait to see how it turns out.

dbrian66 and Mr Bob like this.
  12. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    Started work on the neck today. The maple on this is quite pale, so will be putting a slight tint on it and a few coats of tru-oil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fingerboard is getting a couple of coats of walnet oil, which is working a treat...

[​IMG]

dbrian66, speelyei and jbrowning like this.
  13. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    I like the combination - the guard is actually an off-white, parchment guard - a touch less bright than a regular white guard as in the photo below (the white guard is a standard white guard that came off of my Squier Mustang) - settled on this after trying white, mint, and cream guard material against the blue.

[​IMG]

jbrowning and cool gouhl like this.
  14. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    Time to fit the soapbar p90 - the best way I have found to fit these in the strats I have fitted them on in the past is to glue in a 6mm thick maple block (which you might be able to make out under the copper tape) then fix with springs and screws through a foam pad with small holes to cut in it to give the springs a little clearance. This gives enough grip to the thin screws and good even support to the pickup.

[​IMG]

One other job on the pickup before I fitted it - as I plan to have a series/ parallel switch running on the pickups and this P90 had a common ground wire running to the coil and the metal base plate, I separated the latter connection and ran a separate ground wire from the plate - that is the yellow wire you can see emerging from under the foam block.

RoyalWe, dbrian66 and jbrowning like this.
  15. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    Body and wiring all done...

[​IMG]

Neck has a couple of coats of vintage pine wood dye then three coats of tru-oil and a light dulling with fine wire wool.

[​IMG]

16. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    Looking great, keep us posted.

Mr Bob, dbrian66 and jbrowning like this.
  17. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    All assembled and sounding great

[​IMG]

The appearance changes drastically in different light changing from a deep blue to an almost green colour. Difficult to catch on camera, but these pics are fairly representative of the in natural light.

[​IMG]

speelyei and RoyalWe like this.
  18. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    How’s it sound? I made pine-caster with that pickup combo, and it quickly became one of my favorites (though I have since swapped the p90 for a dearmond style pup).
    3397EF93-B502-4E08-8FCA-E1BA05DFF133.jpeg image.jpg

Mr Bob and speelyei like this.
  19. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ
    Man, it came out awesome!!!

Mr Bob likes this.
  20. Mr Bob

Mr Bob Squier-Nut

Nov 11, 2011
    Bedfordshire
    Sounds pretty good - I am a bit of a fan fan of P90s (this is the 7th guitar I have with P90s) combined with the tele bridge it adds some sparkle and twang to the thump of the P90. Running the two in series is markedly different to the parallel setting and takes it to another level.

Nice offset by the way - do you call that a TeleStang, a Tele-Sonic, a Duo-caster?

RoyalWe likes this.