New old boat

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by MrYeats, Mar 2, 2021.

1. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier Platinum Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    A friend had this old boat and trailer sitting around for years. I finally got around to asking him if he had plans for it. He said that at one time he did but lost interest. He GAVE it to me to just haul it off. Well if you know boats, there is no such thing as a free boat.
    It is a 1961Lone Star 14ft. aluminum Commander on a tilt trailer. The first $100 went to new tires for the trailer and then I moved it to my place in Rockport Texas, which is a small town on Copano and Aransas Bay, just about 35 miles north of where I live in Corpus Christi. The next $70 went to acquire a title. Boats back then did not have titles, just registrations.
    I just spent $500 on a small 8hp Yamaha from 1976....It runs good, and another $34 to register it...Do you see how this "Free Boat" thing is going....
    I removed the boat from the trailer and put it upside down on the ground. Easy as this thing is well constructed but very light and this was done by hand and by myself....
    Here it is in current condition. I took a wire wheel on a drill motor to remove the paint, all except a small amount on the bottom, which will soon come off too. The white stuff you see is Flex Seal applied all over the stiffeners and seams... Next step is to do the bottom with truck bed liner for even a better seal and quiet ride....
    3.JPG 3a.JPG 3d.JPG 3e.jpg 3b.jpg

2. MrYeats

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    After the bottom is painted, I am going to paint the upper half with some pearl white and metallic emerald green. I even got some new Lone Star decals from Ebay that are the original design.
    These pix are the cool little motor.

1c.JPG 1d.JPG

3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Exactly what I'm looking for. Nice score Yeats.
    I love my fishing kayaks but its always nice to cruse across the reservoir in different spots.

4. waynes world

waynes world Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2019
    Saskatoon
    Guitar player of course buys a Yamaha motor lol!

5. MrYeats

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Here is a pic from Google of the same boat upright. I will do more pix as progress is made.
    3j.jpg

6. MrYeats

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    My trailer is missing 2 Fenders

7. Twostratsfornow

Twostratsfornow Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    Good one.

8. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
  9. Clockwise

Clockwise Squier Talker

Jan 26, 2021
    Atlanta
    I'm pretty sure that I had an identical Lone Star for a while in the 90's - my first boat. No leaks. Thin aluminum indeed. I remember bumping over a submerged log and seeing the aluminum buckle and rebound.

10. MrYeats

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
  11. MrYeats

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    The aluminum on this one is really thick and strong. Rivets are still intact after 60 years. Those rails on the bottom of the boat are stiffeners.

12. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    HNOBD!! She seems pretty sturdy. Enjoy.

13. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    "The Old Man & The Sea"
    ;):D

14. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Be Careful out there Mr. Yeats !

15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
  16. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Yeats, the only thing that is free is your "spirit". Have some fun. Looks like a lot of work, I'll stick with my surfboard.

17. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Nut

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    I'll drink to your leg.

JurnyWannaBe and MrYeats like this.
  18. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    Leo Fender liked boats and invented a few things in that world. Maybe there are parallels with guitars and boats.

My Squier buddy started with a boat similar and smaller than yours and got progressively bigger ones ending in a lampara lightning boat. Tens and tens and tens of thousands later, lol.

One of dentists for the rich here got deployed and because of that and his divorce, he lost his boat which was worth more than some houses. You could have really got a much nicer house for that type of money, but as you're finding out it's the things that float which cost more than you can plan for.

https://www.fender.com/articles/artists/8-things-you-might-not-know-about-leo-fender

MrYeats likes this.
  19. MrYeats

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    B=Break
    O=Out
    A=Another
    T=Thousand

grizzlewulf and 65refinyellow like this.
  20. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier Double Platinum Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly