New Classic Vibe Esquire's with double binding???!!!

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by horax, May 3, 2021.

1. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    There’s other colors too.

2. Ian Sheridan 1978

Ian Sheridan 1978 Squier Talker

Mar 2, 2019
    Uk
    The last ones weren't routed for a neck pick-up.
    I think that's a big shame.

JohnnyMac and horax like this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    Not with binding though.

4. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Can't wait for the unavoidable misspellings - 'Squire Esquier GREAT CONDITION!! $250 local pickup only'

5. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    That would be interesting. You’d think they’d route it standard for modding. Several vintage esquires were routed for a neck pickup as well.

surf green likes this.
  6. Ian Sheridan 1978

Ian Sheridan 1978 Squier Talker

Mar 2, 2019
    Uk
    Exactly. It was my belief that all esquires were... I really like them, but I know in future I would end up wanting a neck pickup

7. spanker63

spanker63 Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I love the look, but I need that neck pup sound. I've tried to hide a pup under the pickguard on an esquire, but I couldn't mess with the pickup height and it only sounded muddy. I'll probably give it a whirl again some time.

8. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    You ever try those pickups designed specifically to hide under the pickguard? I think they're a Bread Paisley signature model...

horax likes this.
  9. spanker63

spanker63 Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2010
    Upstate NY
    No I haven't. I'll have to look into that. Are they just a higher powered magnet??

10. horax

horax Dr. Squier

Aug 9, 2010
    colorado springs
    I've herad that esquiers are hotter becuase there's less pull on the strings as there's no neck pickup.
    Look up Seymour Duncan Secret Agent.
    I believe they're a hot rail type of design.

grizzlewulf likes this.
  11. Leo Jazzmaster

Leo Jazzmaster Squier-Nut

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    That's what's keeping me from getting one, too. It seems like every guitar I get I like the neck pup most.

12. spanker63

spanker63 Squier-holic

Nov 16, 2010
    Upstate NY
    When I had my tele set up as a true esquire, I didn't notice any difference in the bridge pup in terms of being in an esquire setup versus traditional. That pickup was 63 overwound from GFS and sounded fantastic in both configurations.

horax likes this.
  13. szombat62

szombat62 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2015
    Rotherham, S Yorkshire UK
    I think these Esquires look great. It’s a pity I’ve already got one as the tobacco sunburst would look great with my Tele!

Attached Files:

grizzlewulf likes this.
  14. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    For me the entire reason the Esquire appeals is its not having that neck PUP. And, while in truth I doubt it'd be hearable, not having the body hollowed out for one is a plus.

Why no neck PUP? That's easy! Because if you mainly or only use the bridge PUP the magnet of the unused neck PUP is robbing you of sound.

This is the same principle that makes Gibson Jrs sound so amazing.

Again one could factually argue that such a change in sound is subtle and that other factors could compensate enough to make it unnoticeable. But you'd have failed that argument with several players, such as Leslie West.

No, to me this guitar is perfect as it is being offered. And if I was looking for another Tele (I own three, each significantly different from the others -- a lightweight Squier Afffinity, And American Standard Fender and a Squier VM Cabronita with Bigsby) this would definitely be in my vision.

The 2nd binding is a nice and welcome touch, but this player cares far less about that than what makes this Tele really different and special Its being an unadulterated single PUP model.

-don

horax and szombat62 like this.