New A/C Day

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by DoctorBB, Jul 3, 2020.

1. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    Well, my bride and I returned home Wednesday evening, from a few days jaunt in the Texas Hill Country, to find my A/C not working. Called the guy and he came out Thursday afternoon to tell me the compressor was froze up. He could have just changed the compressor but we decided to do the whole system, the old one was like 18 years old. New condenser and compressor outside and a new higher pressure rated evaporator inside for the new R-410 Freon. I’m a couple years from retirement (hopefully) and figured I’d spend the money now rather than later when I’m retired. Just thankful that I’m financially blessed enough to afford such repairs. But geez, I could have bought a lot of Squiers today, for the price of new A/C, but I don’t spend household budget money on gear. C’est la Vie.

Luvs2yoko, daan, radiotech and 4 others like this.
  2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I hate spending money on stuff like that, but I think you made the right decision. Worry free for a long time now! Stay cool and enjoy!

Eddd likes this.
  3. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

We are enjoying central AC for the first time, now that we're getting the warm and humid tail ends of tropical storms.

Last September we had our oil-burning furnace taken out (along with the indoor 200 gallon fuel tank that was due to "expire" insurance-wise last April).

In its place we got a geothermal system (a Geostar "Magnolia Plus" unit), with a 100 meter deep ground loop in the back yard. (Pumps something like glycol through it.)
    The electric bill went up a bit, but the increase is something like a quarter of what we we were paying for fuel in the winter.

This is the first year year it's been running in AC mode, and the difference in our electric bill compared to last year is barely noticeable. This is because instead of trying to extract heat from a year-round ground temperature of about +9ºC (+48ºF), it's using it to radiate heat into the ground, so it doesn't need to use the compressor, only the heat exchanger and blower fan.
    It's far more energy-efficient than an above-ground heat pump or a mini-split, since the ground loop temperature is already much colder than the desired house temperature. Quieter too.

Oh yeah - we got a rebate of something like $5,000 from the government too.

Anyway, we're getting spoiled by the central AC now.
    [​IMG]

daan likes this.
  4. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    AC is truly one of the better things we humans have come up with. My in-laws still don’t have AC in their house (and they heat with Wood in the winter. Well I’m spoiled and I like having the air cooled in the summer! I think down south the AC is just as necessary as me having heat in the winter here, though...

5. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I just did the same thing to my sister's unit. Replaced the condenser out side and the airhandler in the attic. 1,700 for the parts.Eight hours in the attic on a 90 degree day sucked.

6. John L Rose

John L Rose Squier-holic

I would think so.
    Here in the Maritimes we're in a sort of sweet spot. We're not subjected to really bitter cold like the mid-West or the North, and the summer heat is bearable (but inconvenient), so a system like ours that does both heat and AC is worthwhile.

7. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    Put this in the window Friday. It's puny, but when outside air temperature is mid 90s you can't complain. 20200709_204933.jpg

drewcp likes this.
  8. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    That’s all I’ve got and I worked installing hvac systems for 12 years.

ScoobySnacker likes this.