Never Forgotten?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Apr 3, 2021.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    One of life's most surprising (and, often, most fun!) qualities is that the past never really goes away. True for so much of life. Especially true, I think, for we musicians.

When my '60s band the Abstracts had a small return to the sun, and an LP/CD released, about ten years ago that was, frankly, a surprise. When I see our one recording from back then selling on ebay do almost $500 that is even more so.

Who do we "impress" enough to remember us and what we do? The answer is often people we'd never have taken note of or expected to have taken notice of us.

Last night I got notification of this post to a video of the Abs I posted some 12 years ago. One based on a recording made now over 55 years ago. Who'd have thought?

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 9.55.53 PM.png

And who'd have thought that I'd be remembered as the "quiet" member of the group? Hee hee! :D

Fun stuff! "All the world's a stage." And we players.

-don

Exhead, Best1989, fadetoz and 8 others like this.
  2. Tepid Pilot

Tepid Pilot Squier Talker

"If memories were all I sang I'd rather drive a truck." - Rick Nelson

"The older I get the better I was." - Anon

:D:cool:

dbrian66, Kinnon09 and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  3. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    I'm so, well, rather overwhelmed by this that I had to share it.

I've been having regular back and forths with this man. He went on himself to be a musician -- played sax -- and (professionally) a psychologist.

How, I asked, did he come to remember the Abstracts -- enough to all these years later (almost 60!) track us/me down?

Here is his answer, posted to one of my instruction vids on YouTube...

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 7.22.07 AM.png

Truly friends I think there is a lesson here for all of us to take to heart. That what we do as musicians matters more than we may think. And in some cases more than we will likely ever know.

We touch lives.

-don

VealCutlet, Caddy, Best1989 and 2 others like this.
  4. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Yes. We think it's all ephemeral, but that moment we thought was long gone is still out there. Thanks for posting that.

Caddy and duceditor like this.
  5. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    So true. My first wife’s dad had played with The Sons Of The Pioneers for a while while while young. He played guitar, mandolin, fiddle and sang. For a while back in the mid 70’s he came to live with us and we would play music together. Great memories if those times. A few years before he passed away he moved back to the mountains of northern Pennsylvania where he was originally from. We made a couple trips there to see him and watch him play with some old friends at The Forksville Inn. I had never seen anything like that place before. When they played on Saturday evenings whole families where there. Families with all ages of kids and their grandparents. All danced, even young grandkids with their grandparents. It was like a step back in time like a scene from The Waltons. Those memories will live with me forever. BTW, he gave me his instruments shortly before he passed away.

My dad played clarinet and saxophone very well. We spent many evening playing music together. Some of my best memories.

My youngest son and I played some Christmas songs at my current wife’s family (big family, my wife is one of ten kids) Christmas Eve get together about 15 years ago. Her family still has fond memories of that.

I know that my five sons, their wives and my grandkids and great grandkids will appreciate my recordings and songs I have written long after I am gone. That right there is reward enough for me for all my years of playing and learning.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 4:43 PM
    duceditor and VealCutlet like this.
  6. VealCutlet

VealCutlet Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Brookyn, NYC
    About a year ago, I got in touch with a friend who was in my first couple of bands (haven't played together since a triumphant farewell concert at CBGBs 20 yrs ago) and suggested we work on some old stuff, new stuff, and maybe throw together a band and do some shows. He wasn't especially enthused and said he wanted to pursue new, different things. Then lockdown hit. A few weeks ago he started calling me, sending me re-mastered tracks of some of our early recordings for me to record some drum tracks and overdubs onto. It seems that his interest in the stuff we did was rekindled a bit and is calling him to readdress it in some way, and agreed that we should move toward making this happen.

If you live long enough, it's not just the bad things that catch up with you, but the good things too.

Caddy, duceditor and surf green like this.