NEMD! My First Harley Benton.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by mofojar, Aug 12, 2020.

1. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    New Electric Mandolin Day!

First off, shipping was expensive. People were talking about Thomann recently changing this, but I had planned to buy one of these before the change and I knew what I was getting into. I have heard many great things about Thomann and Harley Benton and the price was right.

But the shipping was lightning fast. It's obvious I paid for UPS' best express service and they delivered. The mandolin left Germany on the 10th (at 11pm local time) and was sitting at my apartment at 4pm on the 12th half a world away in Canada.

Without further ado, a photo!
    20200812_165223.jpg

I will hopefully follow up with further photos but I won't have time tonight to even properly play it to review it so I will spend a couple days and update this thread with more photos as I get it set up and playing.

There are no obvious flaws in the finish, the binding looks good and there aren't any sharp frets yet. The back of the neck reminds me of a lower end Squier, it has a very light finish with a fairly smooth feel. It might be able to take some tru-oil since it almost fooled me that it was bare wood, but I won't be trying that anytime soon.

Some reviews I've seen of similar instruments recommend getting Lace Sensors for these because the design helps with issues with string-to-string volume so that may come later assuming that I actually end up gigging with this thing at a later date. And if it is a problem with the stock pickups.

Still, I am glad so far that I chose to buy a Harley Benton and not a knockoff from Ali or DH.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  2. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It looks very nice, and extra points for using the right version of "lightning", not "lightening", which I see very often, lol.

mb doug and mofojar like this.
  3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Dr. Squier

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Ok, now thats cool....

cool.jpg

4. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Very cool. 2 days across the world is fantastic. I'm glad you see the new shipping prices as a positive. Better than sitting in customs for 2 weeks. :)

radiotech, mb doug and mofojar like this.
  5. Best1989

Best1989 Squier-holic

Apr 25, 2019
    Arequipa
    Man, that was fast. Looks nice, I hope you enjoy it!

6. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I got it tuned up and jammed on it for an hour last night. This thing is going to be fun!

Now I just need to learn how to play the mandolin.

7. zook

zook Squier Talker

May 17, 2010
    Cochise, Arizona
    radiotech and mofojar like this.
  8. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
  9. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    Thanks! I forgot the H for Happy! It is a happy new electric mandolin day.

Loin Lover likes this.
  10. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I’m happy you like it, I really like the 4 bentons I have.

mofojar likes this.