Need recommendations for good but moderately priced tuner upgrade for a 12 string electric

Oldguitarguy

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Nj
I just bought this Cozart electric 12 string thin line and would like to upgrade the tuners without breaking the bank. Any suggestions on a brand and source? There are a lot of $20 options on eBay but I have no idea if any are decent. Also, any suggestions for replacement strings? Thanks. 8DFE38A0-A068-4AC3-8352-EF9CD105EF60.jpeg 21ACCFC7-201A-4568-B976-60B6B5D09F59.jpeg

Ray Stankewitz

Jammin' in my Music Room
Staff member
Oct 11, 2014
Central Indiana
Order 2 sets of the StewMac Golden Age sealed 3x3 tuners. They are high ratio and no slop at all. I did this and used all the lefts on my Strat Shaped Object partscaster with a reverse headstock. All the rights will be going on a future Trini Lopez inspired thinline build. Don't know if $100 USD plus shipping is in your price range or not but we are talking about a dozen tuners.
This is just an observation, after owning several 12 strings; as tough as they are to tune, tuners are not the place to cut corners very hard.
Edit:
My preference is the D'addario exl150 Nickel 10-46 set. Sounds good, stays in tune very good.

Oldguitarguy

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Nj
Order 2 sets of the StewMac Golden Age sealed 3x3 tuners. They are high ratio and no slop at all. I did this and used all the lefts on my Strat Shaped Object partscaster with a reverse headstock. All the rights will be going on a future Trini Lopez inspired thinline build. Don't know if $100 USD plus shipping is in your price range or not but we are talking about a dozen tuners.
This is just an observation, after owning several 12 strings; as tough as they are to tune, tuners are not the place to cut corners very hard.
Edit:
My preference is the D'addario exl150 Nickel 10-46 set. Sounds good, stays in tune very good.
Ray, thanks but I am looking for a decent budget set. I only spent just over a Hundo for the whole guitar. I am looking for 42-9’s to match the original set because the set up is so good.

dbrian66

Squier-Axpert
Jul 14, 2017
Maryland, USA
Something like these should work. Definitely check the dimensions before ordering, but I have used Wilkinson tuners in the past and have been very happy with them.

Wilkinson 3x3 ROTO Style Guitar Tuners Tuning Keys Pegs Guitar Machine Heads for Les Paul or Acoustic Guitars Chrome https://a.co/d/chxg0L7

Latest posts