Need help with P/U choice.

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by 5thumbs, Aug 1, 2010.

1. 5thumbs

5thumbs Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    usa
    I can't make my mind up on what type P/u to put in my new project? I am gona stick with the three single coils.I don't have a very big budget for them about $150 max. I really keep coming back to GFS Alinco II's I think i would like to stick with something like that? I have looked at.. BG P/U's ,Chevalire(former copperhead) Rumpelstiltskin. I would like more bottom end crisp mids but not to brittle highs alincoII magnets? But im open to everything can yall toss me some ideas.
    Thanks

2. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
  3. 5thumbs

5thumbs Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    usa
    I forgot about tonerider Duhhhh

4. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Squier-Meister

Dec 22, 2009
    U.P. North
    I have GFS premium alnico vintage staggers and they have some serious tone. When I auditioned for the band I'm in, everyone stopped in their tracks when I started playing. During break time, the drummer, the bass player and other guitarist all stood there looking at my rig while they exchanged some very impressive comments about my tone. They didn't know I could see and hear what they were saying...kinda cool.

5. richieryan

richieryan Squier-holic

May 24, 2010
    NORMAN,OK
    I put the GFS prem Alnicos in my SE recently and love the improvement! The tone is great, but the biggest change I noticed is the pick attack response that I have now.:cool:

6. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Squier-holic

Apr 19, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Here is another vote for GFS... I put a set of their Premium Texas Stagger Alnicos in one of my squiers and I'm quite pleased with the results. For the $$$ an incredible value since the set of three isn't much more than what one big name brand pickup usually retails for. The 'Texas' set is wound hot though so if you want something a little more subtle their overwound or vintage sets might be the way to go.

7. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Squier-Meister

And another vote for Toneriders. I'll admit I haven't used their single coils but their humbuckers and P90's are stunning and I see no reason why the single coils wouldn't be the same

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010