Need expert help on my VM neck

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by TimTheViking, May 22, 2019.

1. John Slinger

John Slinger Squier-Meister

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    Glad you got it fixed but man you should not have had to go through all that. I am glad my VM does not have that issue.

BlueSquirrel and TimTheViking like this.
  2. Fasteddie42

Fasteddie42 Squier-Meister

Aug 3, 2018
    Tip of the mitt
    well it sucks that you had yourself some learning moments with the nit removal, good news it the next one will go better.

I'm glad you have tweaked it for the better, it did seem mechanical by nature from all of your experiences. I really think those techs should have suggested or arrived to the same conclusions as these forumites (new nut and the saddle spacing being off).

TimTheViking likes this.
  3. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Squier-holic

It seemed according to Fender, they would only if found defective replace or refund. Never fix. So that's why I took the matter into my own hand. I did not want to pay someone to replace the nut. Don't even know if I'm keeping it now. However it is probably my best HHH.

4. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I definitely swear by Tusq nuts in all my guitars now. If they don't have a Floyd, that is. I'd like to replace the one in my CV50's Tele but I don't think I can do it without gouging the crap out of the poly finish on the neck.

Funny story, my acoustic is a Simon and Patrick and when I was cleaning it up and polishing the frets before my houseboating trip, I noticed that the material in the bridge and nut felt and sounded familiar. So I looked it up and sure enough Simon and Patrick uses Tusq nuts and bridges in their acoustics. No wonder I love the sound of that guitar!

5. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Did you change the saddles as well in the end Tim?

If not I'd still do so for the minimum outlay needed and then it'll all line up as it should. Those saddles on yours don't look right ...just like the originals on mine.

6. TimTheViking

I have not. Main reason is I measured the the E to E distance on one of my guitars with the narrower saddles and the one on my VM and they were the same. The MIM bridge I have has the same wide saddles as well. That's not to say that I won't...

drewcp likes this.
  7. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    You mean you measured the distance E string to E string?

If so of course it'll be the same it's just that on the VM the strings aren't central to the saddle...

duzie likes this.
  8. TimTheViking

The E to E string distance is the same on different guitars even if the saddle widths are different. Fender said that the strings don't need to be centered.

9. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Squier-holic

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    Well if it sounds good and it plays well they're right I guess.

For me the weakest point on the otherwise fabulously put together VMs is the whole bridge assembly. Small and cheaply made, badly designed (the 6 holes for the screws to hold the bridge plate to the body are part in the 'flat' bottom surface and part in the bevelled edge it sits on when floating whereas Fender stuff has them fully in this bevelled section... there are reasons for this ... likewise using 6 screws with no thread near the head to better allow the plate to move up and down them) with saddles that can't accept the strings where they should be (in the middle).

As you know I changed to the MIM standard strat unit on mine and I recommend others to do likewise. If you're happy though no worries. I recommend it because it's of the quality I think the rest of the VM deserves.

10. Fender_Bender

Fender_Bender Squier Talker

Dec 26, 2014
    Houston
    I've been following this thread as I got my 70's VM from SW too and right away noticed the same problems. I took somebodys advice and loosened the neck screws and gave it a whack. It helped. As far as I can tell, the stock nut is ok, but I have a brass block on the way and I'll install that on my affinity bridge with the block saddles and drop that in. The block saddles are the same size, but at least the strings will know where to go and not be all over the place. I also have a GFS premium wiring kit to install. I hope I don't screw up what I think is a pretty good guitar. Peace, all, and thanks.
    After (2) - Copy.jpg

drewcp likes this.
  11. TimTheViking

Nice looking guitar. Good luck. The narrow spacing on the Tusq nut was the cure here I think. I played it for an hour again yesterday and not a single drop.

12. John Slinger

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
    What year and Country is the VM’s you guys with issues have ?

13. TimTheViking

IMG_4990.jpg

John Slinger likes this.
  14. John Slinger

Apr 26, 2019
    Greenville
  15. Fender_Bender

Fender_Bender Squier Talker

Dec 26, 2014
    Houston