NAD BOSS Katana 50

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by BuddyLee, Dec 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Nut

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    I had been thinking about that Katana that I tested my new Aria Les Paul Junior copy through at the local gun & pawn, a Katana 50 they were asking $150 for. I had just got my $50 rebate check from the state of South Carolina because that guy won the billion dollar Powerball a while back(everyone in the state got $50 for some reason dunno lol).

I looked around the house for things I could trade. I remembered I had five Mini-14 magazines for a rifle I sold almost a decade ago that I no longer have a use for. So with the magazines they let me have it for $110 out the door. I'm pretty stoked. This amp sounds really good. I'm still learning how to use it, and I think I may have to pickup a foot switch for it in order to get the most fun out of it. But even having to tweak the thing by hand it is still pretty easy to operate.
    IMG_20191216_180443368.jpg

They sound great together.
    IMG_20191216_184338331.jpg IMG_20191216_184734548.jpg
    Still trying to figure out what all the different color lights mean. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    It's like something from Star Trek.
    IMG_20191215_203553583.jpg
    I also got around to hanging those 6 Hercules hangers I ordered from MF on Black Friday, a SDOTH. I prefer hanging my guitars rather than stacking cases against the wall. They get played more that way, and I don't have cases for all of them anyway.

duzie, kenneth, VealCutlet and 13 others like this.
  2. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    The prices on these used ones are coming down and I have been considering one. I don’t know why, I still sound like me no matter what I play. :(

Oh, and Congrats...thats what this should say!

3. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
  4. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Nut

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    I think what appealed to me was the wide range of good tones this amp can produce. It sounds pretty good clean, and the drive channels can give you bluesy crunch all the way to face melting gain for metal stuff. I was playing Master of Puppets through it when I got it home and it sounded great with those p90s.

For the price of a new pedal I couldn't walk away.

5. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Do yourself a favor and do a factory reset. You don't know what the previous owner programmed in it.

6. Jim Belaye

Jim Belaye Squier-holic

Jul 25, 2015
    Montréal, Canada
    HNAD! I like the way you decorate your wall with all those guitars...:D

7. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Nut

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    I'm gonna have to go to YouTube for an in depth tutorial on this amp. I'm not even sure how to work the effects or what all it is capable of.

8. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Congrats! Those are great amps. I love my 100. You need to download the software on your computer. Once you have that, it’s very easy to control the amp with your computer.

9. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    That is if this is how you want to tweak an amp. One of the reasons I sold mine ...

Download the PDF manual: https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/KATANA_e02_W.pdf

10. BuddyLee

BuddyLee Squier-Nut

Aug 30, 2019
    Liberty SC
    My last PC was a SLI gaming rig with dual evga 8800 Ultras, and a 75nm Intel e6850 Core 2 Duo. Since it took a dump about 7 years ago I have been limited to my Android.

Actually I think the old lady has a laptop we rarely use. Maybe that will suffice...

11. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
  12. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Welcome to The Katana Klub, hoss! If ya ever need any tips, lemme know... I've got the 100 and I THINK I've got it pretty well figured out, lol... Plus if you go get yourself a USB cable and download the Boss Tone Studio, you'll flip, lol... Imagine ALMOST every Boss effect ever, and you can tweak to your lil heart's content, lol... Not to mention you can download the SneakyAmps patch that came with the Fender Mustang amps, and you've instantly got 28 classic amp models, including that "Br Tweed" that I use all the time... It's supposed to sound like an old Bassman 4X10, I've never played one, but I know it sounds GOOD, lol...

13. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Or you can just turn the knobs on the amp itself. There are plenty of options without plugging in the computer.

14. Grey Melbourne

Grey Melbourne Squier-Meister

Jan 24, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Congrats. I've got the 50 too and I love it.
    I bought the Katana Librarian app (Android) too, so now I can just edit everything by plugging my phone into it. That was a game changer for me.
    Enjoy the amp!

15. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Meister

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    Yes there is
    But tone studio offers a whole lot more for sound sculpting

16. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Yes it does, I've had mine for 3 years. I use the FxFloorboard in preference to BTS, but only when I need a very specific sound for recording. Otherwise I'm happy just turning the knobs.

17. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Just used a gift card to defray the cost of a Boss Katana 50 MKII. Should have it Saturday. I haven't used a modeling amp since I got rid of my Vox Valvetronix with the metal grate affront. Can't remember the model. May have been smaller than a 12" speaker. Not sure. Didn't love it. Also don't use my Toneport UX1 anymore. I may still have it in the closet. That was fun. I've heard that modeling has come a long way in recent years. I'm looking forward to checking it out. Thanks to the info here I wasn't afraid to pull the trigger. Thank you.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  18. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Awesome amp.

IMG_20200105_181507324.jpg

Really enjoying this Katana-50 MKII. I messed with it yesterday and ended up confused. Last night I read over the manual. This morning I woke up and watched a few Boss/Roland tutorial videos and made handwritten notes on my owner's manual. Much better . Maybe next weekend I'll be ready for the USB software.

Sounds great at 0.5 watts. The 50 Watt setting should be ideal for most worship performance from what I've enjoyed (while briefly straying from Catholicism). Certainly okay for the Stanhope House. Not enough for the Newton or Morristown Theatres.

The quality of sound is tubular. Love it so far.

IMG_20200105_181517706.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  19. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I made an offer on a Katana head. Let's see if the seller accepts.

I'm kind of bored with what I have. I think the Katana would be a lot of fun.

Kenneth Mountain and Uncle Joe like this.