NAD 1984 Peavey Bandit 65

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by Oldguitarguy, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-holic

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Picked up this Bandit 65 tonight. Looking forward to playing it this weekend! A2502D72-0B78-4CE9-8BB6-37989BB12537.jpeg

2. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Those old Peavey combo amps are a bargain. Way underpriced quite often due to the real spring reverb and fact they were built right before all the companies started cutting corners on pieces and parts and cabs and speakers and etc. Folks aren't rushing around to buy old Peavey quite often so folks can sit around trying to sell them for awhile sometimes. And become more willing to drop prices and etc... I got my BackStage plus for 50 bucks. Like the price of a cheap used digital reverb pedal. And it has a real spring verb unit...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  3. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

My first real amp. Throw a Tube Screamer in front of that lead channel with lots of saturation. Too much of a good thing is a great thing!

4. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Awesome!!!!!! I don’t think you will be disappointed (unless you bought it for bedroom playing)

5. Oldguitarguy

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Well - basement. I am hoping I can get some of the saturated sound at a lower volume. We’ll see this weekend. :rolleyes:

mb doug, drewcp and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  6. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Those older Peaveys are built like tanks, and sound good. My first good solid state amp was a mid eighties backstage plus and I've been hooked since. It's a shame what has become of Peavey these day though.

7. ElRey67

ElRey67 Squier-holic

Jan 10, 2016
    Chandler, AZ
    That was my first ever amp a long log time ago. Nice score!

mb doug, drewcp, SoundDesign and 2 others like this.
  8. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Cool amps ! ! Congrats ! !

mb doug, drewcp and Oldguitarguy like this.
  9. Oldguitarguy

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Played it tonight. Really brings out the sound of the pickups. Great saturation. But loud. Really had to dial it down. Was playing Sunshine of Your Love on it and the lead sounded awesome. Now I need a foot switch for it LOL.

10. Marko60

Marko60 Squier-Nut

Oct 4, 2012
    England
    My TNT 100 is a 1975 and still works perfect 20200213_064001.jpg

mb doug, Rat cam 68, vlxerdon and 3 others like this.
  11. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    Ahhh, good old Peavey's. People will either tell you they are great or terrible sounding boat anchors....lol. I'm in the camp of they sound great. The are also indestructible for the most part and FREAKIN' LOUD!!! There's a reason those old Bandit's have the good reputation that they do :cool:

The amp I turn on at least 90% of the time is an old mid 80's Peavey Renown and I love it.

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    Sure, they'll work for 'bedroom' playing. Put the clean channel on zero and put a modeling amp/unit in front of them. It's like have a FRFR setup.

hotone setup.png

13. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Well that’s interesting

mb doug and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
  15. russtopherb

russtopherb Squier-Meister

Jan 8, 2020
    MA
    Those older Bandits are indeed tanks and they're LOUD. A buddy I used to play with had one, and he could easily drown all of us out. They are great pedal platforms. HNAD!

16. Oldguitarguy

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    If I wanted to replace the speaker, any recommendation? I heard that some speakers really improve it. It sounds good but I’ve heard that some speakers make it extra awesome.

Kenneth Mountain and mb doug like this.
  17. Gloveberg

Gloveberg Squier-holic

Aug 30, 2015
    West Texas
    People really like the old Peavey Scorpion in them. Hard to go wrong really.

18. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Squier-Meister

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    HNAD, those are built like a tank, extremely loud amps, my Strat’s and Tele’s sounded great through this amp, the one I bought was in mint condition, paid $100 for it, wanted to keep it but could not get the smell of cigarettes off of it, I tried everything, my wife and I don’t smoke and that smell forced me to sell it.

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2018
    GA USA
    There's no reason to change it on the 65 as long as it's working OK. The original Scorpion speaker is highly regarded. Later Bandit models made in the 90's switched to a different speaker that some people don't like as well.

20. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    U use the Binary Hotone CAB to record or for the amp setup or?

Kenneth Mountain and mb doug like this.