N(Red)GD...

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by SquierTap, Sep 24, 2020.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, this is my latest additional to the stable... I don't know much about her... Except the guy that was sellin her was full of it... It's missing the back plate, and he said one of his friends did that when he borrowed it, and he didn't know it... The trem was moved all the way back, and one of the springs isn't original... Then he told me that he had "all of these" (pointing at the pickups, he probably didn't know the word "pickup") "serviced about 5 years ago"... Lol, "serviced"... It was NOWHERE near bein in tune, it was cranked up like a meth head in an Alfred Hitchcock movie, lol... And when I checked the tuning, he pointed at his kids and said "they've been playing with it"... I've got a THREE year old, and instead of just keepin the guitars up high where he could never reach 'em, I TEACH him about 'em... He can "play" ANY of my guitars (another good thing about Squiers) he wants, but he KNOWS better than to touch the tuners, lol... He'll go get a tuner, bring it to me, and ask ME to tune it, lol...

Obviously the intonation has never been touched... Then he said he "got it back around 1996"... But guessin by the serial number, I THINK it's an '03 model... I don't know WHY people do that, lol... Pride, maybe... I showed up in a SQUIER cap, and he STILL tried to pretend he knew what he was talking about, lol... If I was selling a nuclear reactor, and some physicist showed up to look at it, I wouldn't pretend to know ALL about it, and tell him that I had the core "serviced" 5 years ago, lol...

Surprisingly few dings for a guitar almost 20 years old... I've never had a red Strat and I'm really diggin the way it looks... My first thought (before I got it, lol) was to replace the pickguard and go HSS with a coil split... Never had a coil split, and I LOVE single coil AND humbucker sounds... BUT, the one ply white pickguard just looks so dog gone good!
    Still gotta get a set of my "almost 9s" (D'addario 8.5) strings on it...
    And I plan on replacing the trem with a full sized Fender bridge... And I'm part of a Musiclily group on FB, and starting next week, they'll have brass blocks! So, I'm obviously gonna measure it, but just to start me out, I'm gonna have to have one of the "stubby" blocks, or it'll stick out the back, right? These Affinitys usually have the thinner bodies, right? It's my first Affinity... And I plan on replacing the tuners with somethin a lil nicer, but I've gotta see if the holes are the "standard" 10mm, or if they're the "vintage" 8.5mm...

When I knew the guy was fulla crap, I kinda just tried to tune him out and focus on the guitar, lol... I saw the flame on the neck, and thought $80 was a pretty good deal... He wanted $100, and I don't usually haggle (I think it's uncivilalized as hell) but I did this time... The flame on the back of the headstock LOOKS like it was the center of the tree, with a smaller ring in the middle of the grain...

This covers a LOT of firsts for me; First red Strat, first Strat with the larger headstock, first Affinity... Really happy for 80 bucks...

So, who wants to tell me what I'm working with here? ;)
    IMG_20200924_114354692.jpg IMG_20200924_114241475.jpg IMG_20200924_114335718.jpg IMG_20200924_114256313.jpg

2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    If it doesn't say Affinity on the headstock I will be shocked. Large headstock, sealed tuners, 2003? Sounds like an Affinity to me, but I'm no expert. Are there no markings on the front of the headstock?

3. brians

brians Squier-holic

Oct 1, 2017
    South Africa
    I'm thinking that is Fiesta red ? which has become my favorite color.
    It's hard to tell from the pics but I'm guessing looking at the last pic.
    First thing I would do , but hey it's just me , so maybe you don't want to, I would put a 3 ply pickguard on there.

I didn't know the Affinity came with a single ply.

To me , that makes all the difference on these guitars looks wise.
    Those tuners and the bridge should be fine, I wouldn't change them in a hurry.
    Good clean and polish and set up and it will be great.

Try lowering the pickups ,made a big difference to mine, they sound pretty good now.

Just cause I can here's a pic of my red Strat, not as old as yours, it's a 2010, but it cleaned up really well when I got it.

It's my second favorite guitar now.

I never imagined myself with a red Strat, I have only liked black Strats, but I dig them now.

Enjoy!

Edit : I'm a bit slow , it's my avatar pic anyway lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    mb doug, mbroadus, Big tuna and 2 others like this.
  4. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Yep, I mentioned that it was my first Affinity...

mb doug, Big tuna and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  5. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Yeah, I usually stick with black or sunburst myself, but I'm finding that I really dig the red and white... And normally, I DON'T dig white pickguards either, really... Just too plain/stock/pedestrian for my taste normally... Or so I thought, lol...

I've got no idea what to do with this thing yet, lol... Like I said, I was thinkin about wiring up my first push/pull pot and goin HSS with a split...

Hmmm...

6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

There's nothing wrong with haggling politely. My father in law used to ask the seller "Can you help me with the price?" I like that because it's not intrusive and lets the seller do you a favor if he wants to, rather than be told his price it too high.

Nice guitar! I need more photos. :)

mb doug, -r3-, Loin Lover and 2 others like this.
  7. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Oh dang. I missed that. I see it upon reading through it all again.

mb doug and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  8. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Can anybody help me out on the size of the bridge and tuners on this one? @Guitarmageddon? You're the expert, lol... I know it'll probably hang out the back a bit, but will a Mexican sized trem fit? And do these usually have the standard size tuners, or vintage? And lastly, what are we lookin at for nut width? Of course, I'm goin to measure everything before I order anything, but I was just wonderin if anyone knew what these typically have...

mb doug and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  9. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    bridge is 2 1/16" spaced, that's 10.5mm per saddle - if they are 10.8 or 11 something (on the one you're wanting to order) they're too wide. 52.3875mm spacing....

But, it's an Affinity, so a full thickness block won't fit...so I'd not upgrade it at all, and leave the bridge stock....pointless in my book.....maybe change out the saddles.....

Tuners also I'd never change unless they were defective, they are standard 10mm 2 pin Squier style, but the 2 pins are not in the same place at all as on Fender 2 pin tuners....

Nut width is probably the narrow 40mm or just under 1.6"

Personally my man, all I ever upgrade on a guitar is what it NEEDS to be functional with good tone, so for me that's only pickups, pots, switch, and fret/nut work (never changed a nut in my life, only had them tweaked), and MAYBE tuners if something's wrong with them.....and then of course plastics to suit the taste of the one who's going to mod and play it, but other than that (pickguard, pickup covers, switch tip, knobs), I never change a thing....

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  10. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
  11. Big tuna

Big tuna Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    Enjoy the strat love red as well.

mb doug and SquierTap like this.
  12. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Just a kicked back frog... Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Very nice, love the red...

13. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    That's a really good way to handle it... My Dad was one of those "Don't ever ask ANYBODY for ANYTHING" types... And for the most part, I'm the same... But I've smartened up a little over the years...

mb doug and Triple Jim like this.
  14. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, as usual you nailed it, bud... I just checked and it's a 40 mm nut, which means I have a TON of extra ones layin around, but none that'll fit it, lol...

And the bridge measures right at 52 mm from E to E...

As far as what it "needs"... Not much... Except when I showed up to look at it last night, they guy COMPLETELY outta nowhere said "like I said (I'd never talked to him about this ever) every once in a while the jack kinda... Ya know... But there's two little prongs down in there, and that's all there is to it..." I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about, but I brought it home last night, plugged it in to check it, and it was fine... However, today I threw it on the bench, gave it a good cleaning, polished the frets, cleaned up the frets and edges with a sanding block, treated the rosewood with lemon oil, and put a set of my 8.5 gauge strings on it, and when I went to plug it back in, it was dead... I turned it over (upside down from playing position) and it came back on... So, I guess just re-wiring the jack... I'm diggin those PureTone jacks, so I might put one of those in... I guess that's all it really "needs"... The pickups are okay... Kinda thin sounding, but surprisingly just about as loud as the overwound ceramics I got from GFS for my Number One... But the reason I like buyin these inexpensive Squiers is to fix 'em up... So I'll probably do the stuff I usually do... Like I said, I've never cared for plain white pickguards, they're just too pedestrian for me, but this one looks good with the red... As far as pickups, I'm on the fence... I kinda want to go HSS and install my first push/pull for a coil split (never done that), or maybe 2 P-90s... The only P-90s I've ever played are on my Harley Benton semi-hollow Tele, but I really like 'em...

mb doug, fattboyzz and SubSailer671 like this.
  15. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

How about going completely off the reservation? Buy a new pickguard, add a p-90 in the neck and a split coil humbucker in the bridge? All on a new pickguard of your color preference? My red strat (Made in India VM) has an aluminum pickguard and GFS greybottoms in all three positions.

16. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    You kinda nailed it, Sub! Lol, I was actually thinkin about goin HSS with a split, or doin 2 P-90s... But finding a white Strat pickguard with P-90 holes isn't easy! Lol... I'm wondering if P-90s will work in a Strat pickguard... I guess they should, but I don't know a THING about P-90s or how to adjust the height... I've been lookin at stuff all day, and I just don't know WHAT to do...

mb doug likes this.
  17. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Don't they make P-90s that will fit in a humbucker sized hole? I was thinking an HH pickguard with one P90 and one humbucker.

Edit: I just did a quick search at guitarfetish.com. You can buy all the parts you need for it there including HB sized p90.

18. Robbmonster

Robbmonster Squier-holic

Nice guitar, and funny story behind it.

Some people make it difficult to filter out the crap and focus on the facts, the guy you dealt with obviously wasn't one of those ;)

I have an old Indo Affinity - a 99 - and it also has a single ply pickguard, aged to parchment/mint, warped as hell, and chock full o' character!

You are gonna love that guitar :)

19. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    HNGD !

Nice n Red ;)

20. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, see, I've never even played one of those humbucker sized P-90s... I bought a set for my Hexcaster, but it's still not done... However, I've heard a LOT of people say that those DON'T sound like actual P-90s because you obviously can't fit as much wire and winds... I LOVE clean sounds, but I've been into humbuckers lately too, so I thought a coil split would be a great idea... Or at least to try it so I know how it sounds...

SubSailer671 and mb doug like this.