Mystery Box 2020?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by MrYeats, Jul 23, 2020.

1. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Is anyone going to start a mystery box for 2020?

2. ScoobySnacker

ScoobySnacker Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2018
    Never-reach, NY
    When I was new here, after New Year 2019, I recall talk of such a thing.
    What is/are the logistics?

JurnyWannaBe and dbrian66 like this.
  3. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Someone volunteers to be the beginner/navigator. Then notice goes out and asks who wants to be on the list. A date is set to Launch the box giving people time to sign up.
    Usually a medium size priority mail box is used and the originator puts whatever items that will fit and follow a list of closest geographical signee. That signee takes from the box what he/she wants and puts stuff in to the box and ship it to the next on the list...Pix are required from the people that take stuff out and post on the thread.
    The originator gets the box back and takes what he/she wants and puts the remaining items up for dibs.
    I participated in one and it is fun to keep up with it as it travels around .I think last time it took about 3 months to get around.

Rat cam 68, JurnyWannaBe and dbrian66 like this.
  4. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    I’d be interested in participating in that again. It was a lot of fun the last time.

5. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I am volunteering to start this, so here we go and please give opinions and ideas as this thing develops....
    ]

$15.05 at Post Office & Online

Outside: 11 1/4″ x 8 3/4″ x 6″

Inside: 11″ x 8 1/2″ x 5 1/2″
    These are the shipping rates and box size.

I would like to start this thing off and I am directly in the middle of the continent almost as far south as you can go, so depending on the list and how it develops, I can go east or west to start it off and it will travel around the country to everyone on the list, and I will keep the list and post the names of each recipient in order of how I lay out that list.
    Let's say that we collect the names of all participants by midnight on September 15, 2020.
    I will then lay out the route and post the names , not the locations, of all who enter,but you will know where you are on the list.

When you get the box, Take pictures of what you took out and post for us to see.
    Then you put in what you want to ship off.
    So on and so on down the line it goes till the very end, then it comes back to me and I take what I want.
    What is left over, I will post pix of the items and first come first serve but will pay the postage to receive that Item and it will be shipped according to size and thru USPS. Not paying priority prices. Say if thete is a stomp box you like and figure the appropriate postage, PP me the funds and it is yours and I post on the forum that is no longer available.
    That will repeat till everything is gone.

If you want to sign up, be aware that you will pay the flat rate listed above to send to the next recipient.
    And try not to hold on to the thing too long...People get anxious...
    Don't feel like you have to fill the box up, just put in what you feel like, and post the pictures of what you take out for us all to see. You don't say what you are putting in, that is kind of the mystery of the whole thing. It really is fun.
    If you can do these things and want to sign up, just say I'm in and PM me just the city and state that you live in . I will need the address PM'd to me only from the first person on the list. ]That person PM's the next on the list where they want the package sent, so on and so forth.

Get your name on the list by Sept 15 midnight PST
    Let's go, and don't forget to make suggestions or comments on your "I'm in" post.

And try to keep these things as COVID 19 clean as you can...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  6. vinbur

vinbur Squier-Nut

Sep 30, 2017
    nebraska
    I'd be interested. I've amassed quite a bit of decent small stuff over the last couple yrs.

7. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I have stuff I need to pass on but I don’t think I’ll participate in the box because In the past it took some a month to move the box on and it really killed the vibe of the whole thing. The first couple boxes were great but then there were issues and a lot of members stopped contributing because of that.

8. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    I understand your position and respect that.

9. RegularJim

RegularJim Squier-Nut

Dec 30, 2017
    Illiconsin, Wisinois
    I'd like to participate. Is there a value minimum/limit on what you put in the box?

Also, if the next person in line is just up the road is it acceptable to skip the post office and do a personal delivery?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  10. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I would participate if this happens again. I have always missed the thread start in years past.

11. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    There are no minimums or maximums. If you have someone close by and can arrange to meet them or do what you suggested that should be OK,

ScoobySnacker and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  12. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    In the past, there was no limit that I was aware of, but just be fair. Don’t take $100 worth of stuff out and only put a set of affinity pickups in! LOL!

13. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
  14. MrYeats

MrYeats Dr. Squier

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    For all those who do sign up, be sure I have been PM'd your city and state before the deadline so I can figure out the order of travel.

15. Big tuna

Big tuna Dr. Squier

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    We did one a few years ago. Ken started it then it was interesting i still have the fulltone overdrive from it.

16. Loin Lover

Loin Lover Squier-holic

Jul 26, 2018
    Backwoods, USA
    @MrYeats. I will send a PM counting me in. I realize there can be hiccups along the way but I feel good vibes. I have a positive altitude until it changes. ;-)

Also, I can send you some stuff to help get the box filled up from the get-go.

-r3-, ScoobySnacker, MrYeats and 2 others like this.
  17. jjudas

jjudas Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I would but the USPS is simply horrible around here right now. I've had packages stuck in the USPS Distribution Center in New Orleans for weeks now.

18. Archangelmm

Archangelmm Squier-Meister Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2017
    Valrico, Fl
    I am in, the last one we did was fun and interesting, let me know when.