My Squier Cyclone review

Discussion in 'Squier Duo-Sonic & Jagmaster' started by mijstrat72, Dec 7, 2011.

1. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Squier-Meister

Dec 22, 2009
    U.P. North
    Hey kiddies!

Santa came early for Daddyo this year and I was graced with my LPB Cyclone today. Out of the box I was surprised at how beautiful the LPB is in person. Then I noticed the dreaded "ouch" sting of a sharp fret end. Yes, the vast majority have a sharp edge feel to them. Some definate buffing needed.
    Almost a bare feeling neck, but I'm sure there is something on there. Die cast tuners, and an affinity level plastic nut.
    [​IMG]

The pickups are close to what came in my Recent Tele HH from GC.
    [​IMG]

Cheesy dime size pots and jack. Still wired nicer then my Amer. Standard Tele. Alpha Switch, Aplha 250k pots.
    [​IMG]
    Yep! Thats a swimming pool route down there.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Uh oh...what's that! What the...a neck pocket crack...
    [​IMG]

Ah man! A quick call to MF has another on it's way and a call tag looking for this bugger.

Regardless, the pickups don't really excite me a whole lot. But I did not have the chance to run her through the big rig. The low E saddle adjustment screws are almost falling out, sketchy QC. The saddles have burs that hurt your hand a bit.

All she needs is a good going over with a fine tooth comb. Swap out the electronics for what you want. A good fret buffing session and she would be good to go!

2. JapaneseBullets

JapaneseBullets Squier-holic

Thanks for the first look! Sorry about the QC issues. I bet the next one is better.

3. 1935streetrod

1935streetrod Squier-holic

Feb 15, 2010
    michigan
    Man! that's too bad about the QC...I hope the next one comes without finish cracks.
    Probably gonna have to file fret ends regardless...

4. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    An outstanding color :cool: Shame, I guess these were not on Squier's high priority list at the manufacturing shop ...

5. Stratatattat

Stratatattat Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2010
    US
    yeah, i just tried my hand at filing the fret ends...i nicked the neck a bit w/ the file...not too pleased about that. my wife says she can't see the nicks unless she is inches from the neck...me? i feel like i might as well have hit it w/ a chainsaw. :mad::mad::mad:

6. sfcmark

sfcmark Squier-Nut

Apr 20, 2011
    Georgia
    I guess the SN answers the question I had definitively. Factory special run. I still wish I had taken advantage of the $153 price after Black Friday discount.

7. tabdog

tabdog Squier-holic

May 2, 2011
    Little Rock, AR
    Thanks for the info.

Sorry bout tha issue.

Tabdog

8. stratphobic

stratphobic Squier-holic

Jan 15, 2011
    Arkansas
    sharp frets wouldn't bother me considering the drastic change in weather the past few weeks, which could affect the wood and cause the frets to sprout.

i've seen the s on a plethora of recent indo cort squiers. i've also seen ICF serials on indo cort made fenders, which leads me to believe the s in ICS just means squier.

9. mrlinguini

mrlinguini Squier-holic

Jun 2, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    How can you tell it is a FSR by the serial number?

10. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    The S after IC.

11. SexyGibson

SexyGibson Squier-Nut

Nov 13, 2011
    Hagerstown. Md.
    Ah man, that sucks that you had to send it back. Hope the next one is a keeper. Love that finish !

12. woolbrig

woolbrig Squier-holic

Apr 16, 2010
    Bethalto, IL
    My VM Jazzmaster has an ICS serial #, but I don't think it's a special run.

13. houseguitarshop

houseguitarshop Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2010
    I have really not found an Indonesia made squier that I like alot. the craftsmanship is not as high as china made.

In my opinion, In the current squier line up, China made is the way to go, it seems Indonesia does not take as much care and attention to detail as china does. even on the $99 bullets china seems to finish them off pretty well.

the deluxes are pretty nice, however, they do lack a certain feel of balance that I like my guitars to have.

14. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Indonesia made the best of the modern era strats from my experiences House... The 2000 version just rips... Doesnt feel anything like all the other curved "stratocaster" logo Standards built from 2000-2011 that ive tested out... I had 5 different Standard strats in my condo at one point in time and it was rather obvious which one was clearly the top dog.... IC00...

15. houseguitarshop

houseguitarshop Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2010
    have any photos?

what are the other 4 strats?

16. cybermgk

cybermgk Squier-Nut

Sep 18, 2011
    Northern Il
    And my indonesian built VM Jazzmaster is extremely well put together (with some of the best finished frets of any git I've touched).

17. savofenno

savofenno Squier-Meister

Feb 19, 2010
    Haninge, Sweden
    Nothing wrong in my MII`s

Squier VM Telecaster Custom II P90 guitar, Squier VM Jaguar Special PJ FS bass, Squier VM Jazzmaster guitar are all nice instruments.
    Only thing they needed, besides usual string height and truss rod adjusting and intonation check, was filing some fret ends in Tele Custom II, others had smooth necks as stock.:)
    Höfner Ignition bass is a revelation. With flatwound strings it almost plays for itself, it`s tone is fat and even everywhere around the fretboard.:)
    5-string ESP Ltd B105 bass displays all good points modern designed active basses have, and all worries that a 5-string would be hard to play are swept aside!:cool:
    Oh, Ibanez RGA420 pointy evil shredder does all and more you ever expect from it!:D

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  18. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    The 5 Standard strats I had were an IC00 black/maple fretboard, 2003 Standard Deluxe QMT, 2004 CAR/maple fretboard, 2007 Cburst and 2008 Cburst...

The only 1 I still have is the 2007 CBurst. Altho I plan on getting rid of that rather soon... Just realized I never took a pic of all 5 of them at the same time... Heres the best pic I have of the various Standards... Only 3 at once tho...

From left... 2007 Cburst, 2004 Indo Tele II Custom "Deluxe", 2003 Standard Deluxe QMT and IC00 Black/Maple...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  19. savofenno

savofenno Squier-Meister

Feb 19, 2010
    Haninge, Sweden
    About the real topic here, strange that a lemon like opener got first would come at introduction of new model from Squier. Guess they have too much to do.
    I am sure the next one OP gets will be a nice one. I am keeping my thumbs up for it!

20. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Im interested in how these match up against the 2004/2005 versions. Or whenever it was that they made the last batch... Its good to see they still have the Fender stamped saddles like the 1st ones... And the added colors available is nice as well. They only did black and that different darker blue the last time around...