My review on Fleor and Guitar Madness pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by gary mitchell, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    I have absoultely ZERO issues with OP and his comments. His ears, his wallet, his guitar...get what you want. Knock yourself out, impacts me 0. However, there are other comments here stating that if you want the best you gotta pay for the best. Are you a metallurgist? A scientist? Have you run all the required tests with full peer reviewed documentation to prove conclusively that so and so has better quality materials than the other so and so?

If so, let's see it. If not, you're only giving your opinion based on your decisions. But so and so famous guitarist uses them...ok, has that pickup purchase put you on stage or are you still in your bedroom? Having to cover marketing and endorsement costs to set themselves apart from the competition adds greatly to price. Look at Nike.

If there was truly some magic combination of materials to make perfect sound, that's all there would be to choose from. I have my opinion, you have yours. Neither is fact to anyone but us, so **** with the arrogance to assume otherwise unless you can provide the documented facts otherwise.

2. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I have had the same exchange with this user in the past... it’s his go-to phrase every time to just buy something “better”.

I don’t even “ignore” him (Via the ignore button) I just zip by his posts when I see them... honestly even though he’s posted multiple times in this thread before I did, I didn’t even read them because I knew what they said already.
    He does have some good input in the amplifier threads occasionally.

drewcp and Ace38 like this.
  3. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Without any proof that it's actually better, other than what the marketing tells him. I've replaced a Duncan JB and a Dimarzio Megadrive with GM hexbuckers for example, so...different strokes...

drewcp and radiotech like this.
  4. GunnyPlaysLoud

GunnyPlaysLoud Squier Talker

Mar 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    I used to be biased towards SD and DiMarzio for aftermarket pickups, up until the last 5-10 years I probably couldn’t have named another aftermarket pickup maker. Things have changed. There are a lot of smaller makers out there putting our really impressive pickups for significantly less.

Its too bad OP ended up with some duds. If you decide to pull the pickups out and go in a different direction you should be able to recoup some of your loss by listing them in the for sale section.

drewcp likes this.
  5. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Sound desire is totally in the EARS/ brain of the beholder. Everyone hears differently. Just like beauty is subjective, so is guitar / pickup sound. Sometimes it can surprise you.

As an example, I've used before: I wanted / needed a 3 ply black HH pickguard, preferably with two pot holes instead of three. While searching for said pickguard, I stumbled into a loaded pickguard with Chinese HB's, pots, etc pre-wired, just add ground / output and you're done. It was less than a dollar more than the cheapest blank HH pickguard I could find at the time. I figured WTH, for less than a dollar, if I hate it I still have the HH 3-ply pickguard I originally wanted. Several weeks later (probably 4 -5) the loaded pickguard arrived and I installed it in the guitar I bought it for, expecting to near immediately replace the HB's, pots, etc.

Well, it did not happen. The pickups sounded very good. All the electronics worked as they should. The cheap knock-off pickups are still in that guitar. They have a different sound than another HH Strat but just different, not bad. I don't play out at large gigs at high volume. Maybe if I did, cheap ceramic pickups might not work, but at bedroom/living room/living alone with the cat volume, they sound just fine. I may one day replace them, but I have far too many other guitars in need of loaded pickguards being built and installed, to go back to and redo one working just fine .

Repeatedly contrary & negative nose sniffers, out of place at this forum, are just best ignored.

Robbmonster, Caddy, drewcp and 2 others like this.
  6. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Good for you I have used Duncans, Dimarzios and EMGS. Years I am 69 and been playing 50 some years, I have played gigs all over Kansas Texas my last gig before I quit because of my age was in Austin. and now I just play in Church and I don't give a damm what you zip buy, and if my opinion pisses you off I don't care, I don't have to prove anything to anybody. It comes down I have my opinion and you have yours, and I will listen cause I might learn something, and The only thing I have learn from you is that your an ******* cry baby cause I guess you can't take any idea that doesn't go along with yours.

7. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Im pretty sure he wasn’t referring to you. Ouch!!

8. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    I have the Fleor coil-sized rail neck humbucker on my beater experiment guitar. It sounds ok. Not excited about it, but neither disappointed.

The GM Rail humbucker bridge is awesome!

[​IMG]

gary mitchell and squierTony like this.
  9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Squier-Meister

Jul 13, 2018
    USA
    Forgot to include video... the Fleor coil sized rail buckers are the ones that have the clean tones (somewhat) on the Yamaha guitar segments.

10. Ace38

Ace38 Squier-holic

Jul 19, 2016
    Tulsa, OK.
    Deleted..who cares...

drewcp likes this.
  11. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I lowered the single coils as low as i could get them and the P94, it does sound better.

Block Head Ike and drewcp like this.
  12. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Ok, I must be a glutton for punishment, but like some others on this forum I do believe strongly in the free exchange of information and opinion. I am pissed at no one here. I have tried really hard to offer objective information and sources that any of us can use to make more informed decisions so we can figure out what it is exactly that we like about one pickup versus another. When you break it down, you vastly improve the chances that you will be able to avoid pickups that are not likely to meet your requirements or tastes in the first place. If price is the only criteria you use, you will likely be disappointed on a frequent basis. If you use specifications you have a fighting chance of getting something acceptable - or even great - at a value price. IMHO it pays to know something about the history of guitar pickups. If you know who Seth Lover, Abigail Ybarra, Walt Fuller, Ray Butts, and Harry Dearmond are, then you know there is no "best" pickup. Never has been. Seymour Duncan, Lindy Fralin, Bill Lawrence, Kent Armstrong, Larry DiMarzio and others COPIED the work of these pioneers and then built on it with innovations of their own. I find it fascinating that Seymour Duncan sat at the side of Abigail Ybarra and wound pickups with her, watching her technique, and holds this as his most cherished experience in a long and storied career; that Larry DiMarzio freely admits that he was influenced by Bill Lawrence, who created True-Sound pickups in the mid-'60s; that Bill Lawrence was, as a young man, a Fender endorser and he worked with Dan Armstrong in a shop catering to New York's most demanding players. It was there that Bill continued his work of rebuilding pickups to eliminate their internal flaws, flaws he'd discovered over many years as a player striving to improve his own guitars. He also developed new pickups for retrofitting into existing guitars, thus essentially inventing the aftermarket replacement guitar pickup...or, to hear Kent Armstrong tell it, in the early 1970's, he got his start rewinding pickups in his father, Dan Armstrong's New York City repair shop. Eventually, Kent took over the repair shop and added a partner: pickup designer Bill Lawrence. With Bill's help, Kent continued his accumulation of pickup knowledge, and it was at this time that he started building his first pickups. After moving to England to attend college, Kent opened a rewind and repair shop and started designing new ways to manufacture his own line of pickups. Today, Kent is one of the foremost pickup designers in the industry, and years of listening to what the customer wanted to hear has culminated in the WD pickup line. With his designs for WD, as well as his handmade pickups, Kent still has one goal in mind: To give every player their dream sound.

All of these very talented people have been engaged in a quest to do the same thing: Help YOU find YOUR sound. Given all this, why would you possibly believe that intelligent people who have the advantage of the examples created by the combined talents of so many predecessors can't make a pickup in China, Korea, or Cleveland that can be YOUR sound? It ain't that complicated folks! Ray Butts made the famous Gretsch Filter'Tron pickups by hand, Abigail Ybarra wound wire on the bobbins at Fender until "it looked right". Anyone with the ability to de-construct a great vintage pickup has a more than fighting chance of making a pretty damn good version of it if they can lay hands on the correct materials! Sorry for rambling on, but there are just no "Sacred Cows" in the pickup world as far as I am concerned. It is simple science and many have mastered it. Not one of them has a monopoly on "the best".

Robbmonster, Caddy, archetype and 2 others like this.
  13. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Well said.

jefffam likes this.
  14. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I know Seth Lover and them guys, like I said I have been playing 50 years, I have played a lot of different pickups and had and have a lot of guitar friends and have met, and we have sat and played together and discuss equipment and pickups, you can take to SD Pearly Gates and they won't sound a like. There are a lot of things to consider , amps how you EQ them playing style, even a guitar pick can add some color. Myself I play Rivera amps using EL34 tubes. I am not mad at you at all but your not the only one who knows about pickups are guitar. I really don't care who made the pickup, but I like good sound with the equipment I use. Pickups like like EMGs are a little sterile to me, but good for somethings I used them when I was playing Metal. And I found that I did not like the Fleor single coils or the GM humbucker size P90 or P94 what ever you want to call it. I saw a guy on youtube testing cheap pickups, he had a set of know name single coils , he got the set for $15.00, he made them sound real good almost as good as the stock pickups on his AMS strat. If I have offended you that was not my intention. And I also believe in freedom to express yourself on any subject, if we didn't the world would be boring as hell and know one would learn much

squierTony likes this.
  15. martinmj

martinmj Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2019
    UK
    Pickups, as almost everyone agrees, are a VERY personal and subjective choice.
    Over the past 5 years or so I have had many different makes through my hands, and putting them in my various Strats.
    I've tried, and not been particularly impressed with Toneriders that came in my original CV Strats. Not bad, just bland-and that also applies to the latest Fender -designed pickups in the newer CV Strats. I've sold on Fender 'Pure Vintage '54s', and a couple of other Fender pickups whose names escape me. I've tried cheap generic Alnico Chinese-made pickups, and not been impressed. Russian-made Pribora are good, and UK branded Ironstone pickups I do like, especially the Gold, Platinum and Hybrid models, which are still in some of my guitars. Of the Fenders I do like, my recent favourite has been the the '57/62 pickups that are fitted as standard to the Player strats, with the Fender Classic series '50s a close second. These have , however, been ecliped recently by the Custom-shop '59s that came in a US-made strat made in 2004. What a tonally-balanced sound!
    But the biggest surprise of all has been my experiments with the 'who the heck wants them?' ceramic cast-offs from more lowly Strats and Stratolikes. For the past year or so I have been removing the ceramic magnet from the base, drifting out the mild-steel slugs, and replacing those with various grades of alnico pole-pieces, sometimes mixing the grades across single pickups to give hybrids that balance the string balance better than single-type alnico. In EVERY case, the sound quality has been as good as some of the best pickups I have encountered so far-and all for peanuts and a bit of time. I have even done the same with ceramic humbuckers, two of which live in a previously dead-sounding epiphone Les Paul, and one in a MIM Strat HSS. Can't think of a logical explanation, and nor can a pickup-making friend of mine.
    So give it a go, nothing to lose.
    So yes, just my ha'pth, personal tastes.....

Wound_Up and jefffam like this.
  16. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    @MrYeats also does the conversion thing, mostly with Strat pickups. I don't know if he's tried it with HB's.

gary mitchell likes this.
  17. martinmj

martinmj Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2019
    UK
    Well worth it with HBs, irrespective of origin or resistance. Not compared with bar , rather than slug,alnicos in place of the ceramics, but these are sweet-sounding, and far better than any ceramic I have ever heard. Split-coil I can get pure Strat sounds, but back to true HB, and to get Eric back in his Cream days is an easy replication with the appropriate pedal. As for the playing, that's a different matter! But sounds close.....

jefffam likes this.
  18. Dbravo2008

Dbravo2008 New Member

Dec 15, 2019
    United States
    What I like about Seymour Duncan is their website shows you the pic up specs clearly, at a glance you can see which are low output, which emphasizes mids, versus highs and the demo section gives you a basic idea of sound. Once you correct the other items from your install and still don’t like the sound, perhaps they are too hot and you prefer low output. I know I do. - Good luck!

19. mteetank

mteetank Squier Talker

Aug 25, 2020
    Minnesota
    Hey Gary and all, Agree will many comments here and I will jump in with my two cents

I have used both Guitar Madness (GM)and Fleor (F) pickups on the following:

Peavey Predator Plus with GM P90/94 in bridge and Rose single coils in N and M
    Harley Benton Les Paul – swapped Humbuckers for GM set of P90/94 alnico 5 (That was always my goal when I bought it)
    Squier Tele – F alnico 5 set
    Peavey Predator Plus with GM P94 in bridge and Rose single coils in N and M
    Just finishing a Relic Strat with a GM Alnico 2 Set but have not played it yet…. A lot of hope though!!!

My experience has been that both Fleor and Guitar Madness will have their own subtle differences and an tonal personality. All in all, I could not be happier with both Guitar Madness and Fleor pickups considering their tone, performance and price point. Each one of my guitar builds has its own tonal personality and depending on the day I like one more than the othe. With that said……..

I have experienced initial disappointment when I first fire up a build, but convinced myself that I must be able improve it to at a minimum acceptable and hopefully my hard work will payoff with delight, so….

Throw that bad boy Ibanez upon the bench and swap out the pots and cap(s). It looks like the Ibanez came with 500k due to the humbucker (the super strat compromise). A 250K in your volume Pot may help to tone down the single coils. You could leave the 500K in the tone, or not just depends on your desire. The factory .022 cap may or may not meet your needs but only change it if you don’t like how your tone pot performs.

Good luck with your Ibanez, I have hope for your Ibanez and those GM/F single coil combo. It may not be your favorite, but there will be times when it might just fit the bill for a few moments or for that one song. Take care.

gary mitchell, Best1989 and jefffam like this.
  20. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2020
    Shreveport, LA
    IIRC, the GM guy told me they werent Donlis.