My review on Fleor and Guitar Madness pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by gary mitchell, Sep 12, 2020.

1. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Read they are close but they are not the same as Duncan JB pickups. Close maybe but not the same
    This is a dirt cheap $30 Chinese pickup set that is meant to match a Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo, which comes as OEM pickups in a lot of guitars. Currently priced at $30 on Amazon, they almost 1/5th the cost of the Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz set at retain price.

It's an impressive set all around, using materials that are very nearly identical to a Seymour Duncan product. The base plates are nickel silver, even though the Amazon pictures showed brass base plates. A nice feature of the base plates is that they are bridge and neck dedicated, where as many, such as those used for the BYO, have holes in both corners, so that the base plate can be used for either pickup. Original PAF base plates had a single hole also. The tape is a nice cloth style, as with high end pickups.

One cheesy aspect is that the bottom half of the filister screws are not threaded, but if you cut them off with wire snips, it actually increases the field strength, so I look at it as an invitation to do so.

The bridge pickup is slightly lower inductance than a JB, 14H instead of 16H, and the loaded resonant peak is ~200Hz higher, similar to the peaks of some pickups sold as "hot" or "overwound" PAFs.

The neck pickup is relatively "underwound" also, with an inductance of 3.6H, which is on the low side of most PAF style neck pickups I've measured, and the loaded peak of 3.3kHz is also high.

All together, the inductance is lower than JB/Jazz set, but not to any significant degree. IMO, this set is a more than suitable stand-in. Another big plus: no Seymour Duncan logo, or any other logo, on the pickup's faces.

FLEOR High Output Alnico 5 Guitar Pickup

Bridge
    - DC Resistance: 14.938K ohms
    - Measured L: 6.551H
    - Calculated C: 111.73pF
    - Gauss: 350G

Neck
    - DC Resistance: 7.451K ohms
    - Measured L: 3.617H
    - Calculated C: 95.17pF
    - Gauss: 350G

Bridge unloaded: dV: 7.8dB f: 6.43kHz (black)
    Bridge loaded (200k & 470pF): dV: 1.7dB f: 2.20kHz (blue)
    Br Split unloaded: dV: 7.2dB f: 8.46kHz (red)
    Br Split loaded (200k & 470pF): dV: 2.8dB f: 3.76kHz (green)

Neck unloaded: dV: 7.0dB f: 7.81kHz (black)
    Neck loaded (200k & 470pF): dV: 3.0dB f: 3.32kHz (blue)
    Nk Split unloaded: dV: 6.7dB f: 11.9kHz (red)
    Nk Split loaded (200k & 470pF): dV: 3.7dB f: 5.30kHz (green)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Yep, this kind of information lets you be the Judge. While the differences in specs/performance are "slight", the prices are worlds apart.

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Good old Antigua!

4. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I have been looking at Rose pickups , they good on the computer , I might have to try a set.

5. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Odd, I've installed that exact set (except it came with an humbucker for the bridge) in a mate's guitar. They sounded amazing, he even took it to a reputable local luthier for some extra work and even him praised their sound.

What pot values are you using? Maybe Ibanez uses 500k to match their higher output pups, check them and if so, throw in a set of 250s, that's what I had used on his guitar and it was great.

I had recorded a pretty crappy tone demo at the time for him, I even recorded the rhythm track for a Purple Rain cover video but the DAW crapped out midway and I've only found that out after handing it back to him... luckily I'll have it back for more mods in the upcoming weeks. :cool:

Check the pots you're running if you haven't yet, I'm pretty sure that might be the culprit as I opened up the thread fully expecting another happy user... or maybe the reason why they're so cheap happens to be inconsistent quality.

6. Block Head Ike

I
    have heard nothing but good things about Rose. There seem to be a lot of satisfied user here on ST.

7. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    Put sone SD on the same guitar and you will see.......
    Or play with the amp fully cranked , no waxed pickups..

8. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-Nut

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    My old Jackson had a JB/Jazz combo, best-sounding guitar I've owned to date, I agree these don't fight in the same league. If you're buying a sub-$30 pickup set I doubt you'll know better or care for that, though, these target, of course, hobbyists on a budget and enthusiasts.

As for my friend, he's an actual musician, but it's not reasonable for him to drop any more cash on a guitar that was originally not even worth the price of these pickups, he only went this route out of sentimental value. Still, in comparison to several other identical guitars I've tested through my rig (namely, a Squier VM and a MIM Fender Standard), this one with the 30 buck pups sounded considerably better.

Sure, Duncans would sound miles better, but they ain't even in the same league, the cost of the whole set wouldn't buy you a single second-hand Duncan pickup. What matters here is whether you get what you pay for and IMO you get a whole lot, I'd put these alongside Toneriders which cost over twice as much.

Finally, the set I've used was indeed wax potted, no issues in that regard... I appreciate your input, though I don't really know what was your point, neither I think that to be the mindset of this community.

9. Block Head Ike

Well said Shaytan. The point of my responses to the original poster was to indicate that the differences between pickups when you actually look at the stats is often razor thin, indeed, the manufactures of the low-priced stuff are using known brand-name pickups as their design target. They are not identical, but only the user can decide if they are close enough to serve their purposes. These pickups are often much better than the stock offerings that come in Squier guitars, and they offer an affordable and tangible upgrade for a very small price. They should not be dismissed out of hand as simply "cheap crappy pickups". There is nothing magic about pickup design. Everybody uses wire, magnets, bobbins, bases, and covers -often from the same wholesale manufacturing sources. However, there are differences in the quality of components, the cost of labor, the amount of $$$ devoted to marketing and rock star endorsements, and so on. These factors contribute to the price paid by consumers, but are not necessarily indicative of "higher quality" or "better" product.

Caddy and squierTony like this.
  10. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    My point is if you want the best tone need best pickup you can buy.
    I have a box with cheap pickups and pedals , all money wasted in junk.
    A cheap guitar with good pickups and setup can beat a expensive one.
    I hated some guitars cause cheap or wrong pickups, with a good set change all the game.
    Is a experience only if some people like hard way go for it

gary mitchell likes this.
  11. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Why are you on this forum? We are here because we like cheap guitar stuff. You don’t have to have a vintage Princeton and a custom shop Strat to sound good and we know this.

Caddy and drewcp like this.
  12. Block Head Ike

Define "best pickup you can buy" please

drewcp likes this.
  13. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    If it’s not Seymour Duncan and a vintage amp he don’t think it sounds good.

Caddy and drewcp like this.
  14. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Here's a positive suggestion. Since they seem ot offend you just looking at them, why don't you do good by offering those pieces of caca to the caca loving community here. Some that can't afford the bee's knees will surely be grateful to get a free set of pickups or a pedal they will use.

Shaytan likes this.
  15. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    If you
    If you come to Chile no problem.....

16. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    What the words say ....Dont wanna fight buy what you want

17. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    If I have upset you I am very sorry, but I am very picky when comes to sound, but I am not a rich man at all. stuff like my Rivera Clubster Royale amp, my wife and kids saved for 3 years to buy that for me on my birthday I didn't know, you know why I have never had a birthday party in my life are family when I was a kid was just another day and they had one for me even people from my church came. When I bought my first heavy metal guitar which I was playing at the time, it was a American made Jackson soloist with EMGs in it. $1600.00 new I worked days at a steel plant in Wichita Ks. which I worked to feed my kids feed my kids and I was a single parent of 2 girls for 15yrs. So to buy my music gear I worked a 2nd job working for a guy who had a big farm and raise cattle and pigs he also sold hay to dairy farmers which i hauled on Saturdays. and also drove a John Deer tractor Disking and plowing in the dark until Midnight. That was the only way I could buy stuff and there was a music store that would take trade ends, my first amp was from Western Auto a little transistor thing 12watts of crap but it was an amp, my first guitar I bought from a kid on our block came from Sears, I mowed lawns to get the money, my first good amp was a Fender something, it was given to me when I was young these guys practice in a garage, use to sit in the alley and listen to them until they got drunk, one guy was drunk and set on his amp and broke the cabinet pretty good, he just sat it buy the trash, i asked if i could have it he gave it to me. I took it to school and my wood shop teacher helped me make a new cab. After that I played Peavey everything you could get it used for a cheap price, but I worked hard to get what I had. 13years ago I married again and she plays clarinet , she is also a nurse and she has helped me get some stuff, but I don't like her doing that. Anyway I am not trying to be better like the one dude said the different is I would rather save and wait, whats wrong with that. I am retired due to some medical reason, I ended up getting epilepsy at 62 and had to retire, I haven't had a seizure for 6 or 7 years but still have to take the meds, know one will hire me. I am not a snob I don't make near the money I use to make, Thats why I tried the Fleor pickups. and if I try anymore I am going to try maybe Rose pickups I have seen guys play crappy guitars and 2 dollar pickups, but they played awesome because they practice and the magic and I know you all have heard this is in your fingers. So please don't get upset just because I would rather wait and save to get what I want. And I have been on a lot of forums , but I feel at home here its a great forum with great people. 53034561_123683535376926_4797663612787228672_n.jpg

Shaytan likes this.
  18. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

With pickups, if you're after "classic" tones and putting round pegs in round holes or square pegs in square holes (i. e. classic voiced pickups in classic styled guitars), you will usually arrive in the vicinity of your destination.

If you're trying to get somewhere unconventional (or worse, don't know where you are going) it gets more difficult. I've never wound pickups but I've built many, many computers and the hardest customers to work with were those that really had no idea what they wanted. More often than not they would blame me if their computer didn't do some thing they never told me it needed to do. I suspect pickups makers and vendors struggle with similar challenges...

gary mitchell likes this.
  19. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I have always been happy with SDs not all of them, my favorite is the Pearly gate, I had them in a APPLE strat, a Strat loaded with 2 HB pickups, that got stolen a few years back at a gig in Wichita Ks. I am however saving the money to load my M-80 Squire with them. It in like mint condition a few minor scratches on the back not bad at all.

squierTony likes this.
  20. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I just want something for wordprocessing, and browsing the Internet...
    three months later you get an angry call complaining that the computer you built sucks
    because it can’t run autoCad, photoshop, and render video for BluRay, at the same time...

I’ve been there brother.

Ace38 likes this.