My review on Fleor and Guitar Madness pickups.

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by gary mitchell, Sep 12, 2020.

1. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    Before everyone gets upset,I am talking for myself and how I feel about these pickups. Earlier this year I bought a set of Fleor alnico 5 single coils pickups and a Guitar Madness hunbucker size P 90. I put them in a Ibanez EX140 guitar the guitar is in excellent condition. Anyway I wished I had. I am 69 years old and have played guitar 50 some years. I have played every thing from southern gospel to heavy metal I am an old rocker and bluesman , I have played praise and worship in church 35 years and still playing . I have own a lot of guitars Americans and overseas guitars, my favorite guitar for the money from overseas is Ibanez. Back to my story I am retired and don't have the money I use to have, I wanted to change the pickups in my Ibanez. I did not care for the ceramic magnets. So I heard about Fleor pickups and Guitar Madness pickups, so I thought I would try them. I put 2 Fleor single coils neck and middle and a Guitar Madness humbucker size alnico p90 in the bridge. I have been playing it for quite a while now. I use a Rivera Clubster Royale 50 watt 112 combo, and I have a Blackstar ip30. All but that guitars have SDs or Fender pickups. The Fleors and the Guitar Madness to me are the worse pickups I have ever played, there is something missing for me. They have to much treble for me, I have to EQ the hell out of both my amps, I never use for a backup guitar because if I had to use it, in the middle of a gig Iwould have to EQ the amp , and readjust any pedals I might be using. Yes I am very picky when it comes to my sound, I feel I am talking myself into and training my ears to like a junkie sound. Again I am very choosy about my sound, from now on I will just do without until I get what I want. I AM SORRY IF THIS MAD ANYBODY UPSET, but I had to tell everyone my thoughts . Oh and the P 90 picture I bought the BridgeP 90 516OVUC7ifL._AC_SS350_.jpg s-l640.jpg

Angry Possum, Jmv668 and Viking like this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    You used 500k pots instead of 250k didn't you?

3. wickedtools

wickedtools Dr. Squier

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    I’ve not tried the Fleor but I have the GM’s , but more of the sound depends on what pots and cap you use and the height you adjusted your pickups. I’ve not met a GM I didn’t like. My personal favorite are Rose pickups.;)

4. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    I’ve used that set of Fleor pickups and liked them and I’m not much of a strat guy. You might have gotten a set of duds. I have also used the kmise humbuckers, have ordered 3 sets, 2 were excellent and the 3rd was a completely different thing. Maybe you experienced the oddball like me.

Angry Possum and dbrian66 like this.
  5. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I am also wondering about the rest of the wiring. Pots, caps, etc.

I remember at one poing gary was talking about wiring a guitar up with volume only.

6. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

I have several thoughts. And no... if I can speak for the crowd, no one is upset.

1. What Fleor Strat pickups did you use? They have several models with large variation in their DC resistance and inductance. These are likely rebranded Donlis pickups.
    2. The GM "P-94" has its own tone. The coil has different dimensions that the P-90 coil and it can't sound like a P-90. I'm not sure what your expectations were. These are also likely rebranded Donlis pickups.
    3. As others have asked, was your volume pot 500K ohms or 250K ohms? 500K will make the pickups bright sounding.
    4. The pickups are wound to a given set of specs. Their tone may not work well in your specific guitar.

7. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I did and a few days later added a volume knob.

Angry Possum and dbrian66 like this.
  8. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I used CTS 250k pots I already had, this is the cap I used

Attached Files:

Angry Possum, Ken Rose and dbrian66 like this.
  9. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    The Fleor pickups i used came in a set of 3 . Here are the specs on them
    Specifications:
    • Vintage Alnico 5 Single Coil Pickup For Strat Style Electric Guitar Parts Replacement .
    • Neck/Middle/Bridge Position are available.
    • White/Black/Cream Colors are available.
    • Alnico 5 ( Alnico V ) Magnet,Flat Fixed Pole Pieces.
    • The Middle Pickup is Reverse Wound/Reverse Pole.
    • Fully Wax Potted and Sealed.
    • ABS Bobbin & Cover , PVC Cables.
    • Pickup Pole Spacing: 50mm (Neck) ; 50mm(Middle) ; 52mm(Bridge)
    • Resistance:5K-6K (Neck) ;5K-6K (Middle) ; 6-7K (Bridge).
    • Cable: White & Black Cable for Neck Pickup, Blue & Black for Middle Pickup ,Yellow& Black for Bridge Pickup.
    • One Pickup Includes 2 x Screws and 2 x Springs. 516OVUC7ifL._AC_SS350_.jpg

10. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I would always expect to re-eq my amp in a guitar swap... unless the backup was identical in pickups/controls/setup...

I eq my Guitars individually on existing presets of my Mustang III/Mustang GT40, and then save the preset with and extension of the guitar (‘65 Reverb St/Te/BT (blacktop)/Ibz/Dot, etc), when I change guitars, I just change to that preset.

My AS73B was sterile with the stock (uncovered) buckers, good for jazz, but no bite when pushed... a set of Gm’57’s made it come alive.
    YMMV, if your process for playing means you want consistency between instruments, best not to have too many different types.

dbrian66 and gary mitchell like this.
  11. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I do reset my amp eq but, but not has radically as I have to with that guitar. I also have very rarely had to use a backup. And I don't use multi effects where I can program them. I did on my bass and used a Zoom bass effects. got rid of it and now only use a Boss DS-1 for a little snarl. My main guitar is a AMS Fender Tele with Fender 1958 pickups. If I keep the pickups, what pots and cap you suggest. Thank you.

dbrian66 likes this.
  12. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    Hardly any of my presets have effects other than reverb or delay.
    IMO, It really doesn’t matter which value pot you use too much... what changes more than anything with those different values is the span of operation of the control. I’ve used 250’s and 500’s in mixed pickup guitars with good results, same with caps.
    Traditionally since they’re all single coil you should be using 250 K, the capacitor is completely up to you... I find no tonal advantage whatsoever in anything more than a Mylar Chiclet capacitor...
    I see a 300 V PIO capacitor, and I think: “I could’ve bought two dozen mylars for the price of that“

What you can’t expect is... when you use 250 K pots, and a 33 µF capacitor, with the volume max, and the tone set on seven, is to sound exactly the same as 500 K pots, and a 22 µF capacitor set on seven.... what changes is the span of the control, At some point the RC network is equal in value in either situation... so it’s about getting used to the new span on the Guitar more than anything.
    What usually throws me off is really hot single coil pickups, I end up lowering them significantly to compensate.

13. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    The GM P94 sounds really close to the Gibson it is copying. Meaning it might not be THAT P94 you can't live with, but any P94 you'd buy.
    Is the GM still in the guitar ? Sounds to me like it is too close to the strings. Have you tried lowering it ? You have a photo of the guitar with those pups installed ?

Here's a P94 shootout I made with a GM and a Gibson P94. I think they sound decent.

14. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

I believe I own an identical set as described above, and a different set with staggered poles and slightly higher resistance specs - both labeled as "Fleor", and I think purchased on Amazon. I like both sets. The set like yours did require a significantly different pickup height setting than the stock ceramics that came out of my SE. As others have already pointed out, pots & caps also make a big difference, but try adjusting the pickup height as well. It seems to me that lower resistance Alnico 5 pickups have a very specific "sweet spot" as far as best sounding distance from the strings.
    What were your expectations for the tone of these pickups? Many mistakenly believe Alnico 5 will produce warmer tone, but that has not been my experience in most cases. Less "harsh" and more balanced than ceramic, but on the bright side. Mojotone gives this description which seems more apt:

" Overall the Alnico 5 is bright and punchy, with glassy highs, tight bass, and more attack. Alnico 5 magnets are the most commonly used magnets in guitar pickups today. Considered to be the most aggressive sounding magnet. A good choice for adding bright punch and output to a warm or dull sounding amp or guitar."

Fralin says:

"This is by far our most widely used guitar pickup magnet. In it’s rod form, Alnico 5 gives the traditional Fender tone. We use Alnico 5 in all of our Strat, Tele, and Bass pickups. In Fender-style pickups, it has the best balance of extended lows, mids, and highs. Alnico 5 gives that open, airy top-end sparkle that we’re so used to. In Humbuckers, it gives our pickups a brighter tone, which is why we use them in our High Output Humbuckers."

Your description of "They have to much treble for me..." sounds like they may be doing what I would expect versus ceramics (not sure what was stock in your Ibanez) and the EQ problem has me scratching my head a bit. I rarely have to adjust EQ unless going from single coils to humbuckers. The "humbucker form factor" P90 is a big unknown for me. I have no experience with that type of pickup.

dbrian66 and squierTony like this.
  15. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    A miracle happen a buddy and I was going through is junk drawer, he is a guitarist also couple years older then me. Anyway we found 5 pots not weed either but pots. They had know value on them know where we didn't know if the were 250k or what. But they had the name Mallory on them. I have used Mallory tubes. But didn't know there were Mallory Pots Anyway he said you want to try them, I'll get the soldering iron hot. So we put them in and man what a difference in sound, may be my second in command after my Tele. I wished I had taken a picture of them, but I forgot and right now I don't feel like taking it apart again. But they are cool, I am going to keep my out for them and buy them. I don't know how many are around and right now know if they still make them. I am very happy now just thought I would share, its good to have good friends. 83670080_484434509175464_7199346901655748608_o.jpg

16. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    I used the single alnico V pickups in a ibanez fm260, the same .............a piece of garbage, a waste of money.
    Changed pots, changed caps .047, .033,.022 and .01 muddy sound very low kohm 5k around , horrible.
    Purchased a SD set and now my guitar sound awesome.
    Dont waste money on s*it, buy some beers if you want throw money.

17. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    So finally, even after playing guitar for 50 years, you can still learn something new about pickups ;) They're not that bad aren't they ?

18. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    well i had to mess with more then i wanted to, i don't want to do it again. i am going back to SD pickups or something in that ball field.

Jmv668 likes this.
  19. Block Head Ike

Glad your story has a happy ending! Nothing sucks more than taking the time to mod your guitar only to have it be worse than before!
    I will take this opportunity to say that IMHO there is a fair amount of hype surrounding "name brand" pickups, and they are seldom "better" than their less expensive counterparts IF you compare specs carefully.

The fine folks at "Guitarnutz2" have been chopping away at the forest of cheap import Alnico pickup sets and posting detailed information and specs about them - down to measuring the precise thickness of the wire gauge with a high precision micrometer and plotting the pole piece flux density (is that even legal? lol). Careful review/study of this information has allowed me to find virtual matches for many original factory pickups, and well-known aftermarket pickups as well. Doing this type of research is time-consuming, but the dollar savings are very significant. I have also noticed that budget brands like Fleor and BelCat and others seem to change their specs frequently so it can be hard to locate a set "as tested".

https://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/board/30/pickup-testing-modelling

gary mitchell and Robbmonster like this.
  20. Block Head Ike

Triple Jim and drewcp like this.