My NEW Sound...

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by SquierTap, May 3, 2021.

1. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    You’re working that Katana man. That’s badass.

SquierTap and Twostratsfornow like this.
  2. Blues256

Blues256 Squier-Nut

Apr 3, 2020
    Poland
    Sounds really good

SquierTap likes this.
  3. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Sounds real nice. That beginning riff and guitar sound sounds real familiar by a popular band. I can't put my finger on it yet. Wait, Is it Radiohead I'm thinking of?

SquierTap likes this.
  4. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    DOD BONESHAKER, you say? Huh, a DOD pedal I haven't heard of, lol... I've gotta look into THAT! Thanks, hoss!

BarnyardShark1979 likes this.
  5. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thanks, Bluzy! Workin on the lyrics and melody currently... I THINK I've got somethin that'll work... I hope so, anyway, lol...

Bluzy likes this.
  6. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Ahh, that would be Steven Slate Drums version 5, I think, and I'm runnin it in Reaper... And I'm actually usin the FREE drum kit in SSD5... Literally ALL I use is "budget" stuff... But my "trick" is; After I get the drum parts programmed EXACTLY how I want (and I do it ALL by hand, no premade loops), then I render (mixdown) a track of JUST the drums... I leave the original SSD5 drums at 0 volume, then drop the rendered or mixdown into a track right below my original drums, and I usually add compression and a lil high end EQ to the mixdown and keep the volume of the mixdown slightly lower than the original... And I've been gettin pretty good results, in my opinion...

Rodiebobw and gearobsessed like this.
  7. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, like I said, I was kinda goin for a Queens Of The Stone Age/Desert Rock/Stoner Rock vibe... As for Radiohead, I've actually never listened to 'em... I've heard "Song 2", "Creep", and "Karma Police", but that's about it, lol... I've kinda always seen Radiohead as a band that "cooler" people than me listen to, lol...

8. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Gracias, Tony... Yeah, I like to futz with it, lol... People never believe me when I tell 'em that I'm usin the "Acoustic" channel, lol, but I am, lol... BUT I AM usin the onboard MetalZone as a "preamp", lol...

mofojar likes this.
  9. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    West Coast Landia
    Nice work! Good, tight playing and use of dynamics.

A little different from Les' New Sound.:D

EDIT: But carrying on the multi-tracking tradition.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    SquierTap likes this.
  10. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Sounds great. I like the snare too.

SquierTap likes this.
  11. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Freaking horns \m/! Yes your acoustic channel I presume is cleaner than the other.. Its kind of like what I have to do with my JC-120.. I dont have a gain function, or a effects send on the amp, so these types of shaping have to be done in front.

Sounds like Katana is giving you that access to duet where and how you want it on the amp. That Katana is tots fo sho!

Nice tight, sneaky, dirty, slot eq goodness. As far as vocals go, kind of sounded like some Phil Anselmo type vocal are might be cool.. Meaning his range..

Nice presentation sir!

SquierTap likes this.
  12. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Thought the same mehself.. Nice drums.. Reminded me of a boss kit years ago.. Tight..

SquierTap and gearobsessed like this.
  13. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thanks, Otis!

14. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thank you, Rodie! I've got an idea for the vocals... Might run it by you guys, but the idea is kinda "Emotional Weather" and how this storm is "you and me"... I'll post my idea soon... But thanks!

Rodiebobw likes this.
  15. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Ive got a version of those slate drums on deck, it may be awhile as I have to build a new platform for recording.. Lol. I have that Emmissary plugin. I just need to get to it.. recently I had to delete out guitar rig five as it had integrated all over my daw.. Weird deal it was..

Just listened to your presentation again.. That mix was fantastic.. Cool sound on the guitars.. Definitely a thick brick in the mix..

I still use a recent fall in from Gstomper for drums, but ive dallied with other kits as well. Yes i know what you mean on the drums keeping them under the 0 db level.. Rendering does strange things to level.. Best to get the drums like you like them with a shell for quickness.. I aint a drummer but when you build your drums it will drive you nuts trying to get them right, and keeping you from getting to the meat.. I like to write them from scratch at times with several kits to see if i can get a vibe.. Used to do more of that with fruity... I like me some good templates coz i dont know where everything goes..lol..

Yes id like to hear what you put together on the vocs.. Good upbeat music shell to spit it with fo sho!