My NEW Sound...

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by SquierTap, May 3, 2021.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn

I've been experimenting with a new sound, and I've told you guys about it on here, and I guess it's time to show it, too... Lately I've REALLY been influenced by Queens Of The Stone Age and their "Super Mids" guitar tones... The Rumour is that Josh Homme (QOTSA's guitarist and singer) wanted a treble boost, but couldn't get one, so he cranked the "level" and "tone" on his Boss Super Overdrive (Same circuit as a TubeScreamer but with asymmetrical clipping) and turned the "drive" all the way down, and boosted the HELL outta 400 Kh with an EQ pedal...

It's an interesting sound for sure, lol... SUPER MIDS! But I've been gettin GREAT results when mixing that another tone I've been workin on; Using the onboard MetalZone on my Boss Katana 100 combo as a "Preamp" and using THE ACOUSTIC channel... I kid you NOT, lol...

This is just a lil "snapshot" of a song that I'm currently workin on... Still needs vocals, but you can get the general gyst of where I'm goin, here...

I created the tones using my lil Dean Vendetta with high output humbuckers by The Fret Wire (LOTS of MIDS) straight into the Katana 100... Also I'm using D Standard tuning, a whole step down...

Excited to see what you guys think...

jnz84, Hugh, Jumbosilverette and 18 others like this.
  2. Twostratsfornow

Twostratsfornow Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    That’s pretty badass. Two thumbs up!

Angry Possum, Bluzy and SquierTap like this.
  3. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thanks, TwoStrats! I think it sounds pretty good together! The chorus sounds like my Nirvana is hangin out a little, lol...

4. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Heavy enough for ya, @Eddie ?

Lol...

Angry Possum, squierTony and Bluzy like this.
  5. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I think it sits extremely well in your mix and serves the song perfectly, which is really what it's all about. Sometimes a great stand alone guitar sound doesn't play well with the other kids in the school yard and when that's happening it can be hard to diagnose what's wrong. Solid track too. I dig it.

6. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier Double Platinum Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    that is super cool - love that crunchy tone!

Angry Possum, Bluzy and SquierTap like this.
  7. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    @SquierTap you def captured that QOTSA/Kyuss vibe... the two guitar tracks mixing riffs is very cool...I think your tones are solid, lots of nice texture in the distortions. Keep it up, stoked to see where this leads you

8. snivlem

snivlem Squier-holic

Jan 25, 2018
    FL
    Sounds good bro! I got my cloven hoof pedal for a similar sound w/fuzz....

Rodiebobw and SquierTap like this.
  9. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I think it freakin rocks !

10. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thank you! I put some time into the mixing process... There's another mid heavy guitar buried in there with some wah...

The problem NOW is makin the VOCALS fit with all that guitar, lol...

11. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    EXACTLY what I was goin for, Schef!

Angry Possum and IronSchef like this.
  12. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thanks, Wulf... I REALLY appreciate that... I put a helluva lotta time into this stuff, so when someone actually takes the time to ACTUALLY LISTEN and notice "the details" it makes it ALL worth it... I've got almost a whole album worth of this new stuff using this new sound, and I'M excited to see where it takes me!

Angry Possum and grizzlewulf like this.
  13. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    That's a gnarly bass tone! When adding grit to bass, "The Balls" are usually first to go, lol, but NOT SO here! For this track I basically used a Twin RIGHT on the edge of breakin up... But if I usually want grit on bass, I use the "Bright Tweed" model on SneakyAmps, but REALLY distorted FUZZ bass is new territory for me...

Angry Possum likes this.
  14. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Gracias, Fattboyzz! It can be a pretty beastly sound to tame! The "Super Scoop" sound was at war with the bass, lol... The bass line is pretty cool, but you can barely make it out, and it's even got TWO tracks of guitar doubling it and panned hard left and right...

Angry Possum and fattboyzz like this.
  15. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Not my cup of tea, but I can certainly appreciate the skill and work needed to produce it. Well done Chris, and I hope you get it all figured out.

Angry Possum, fattboyzz and SquierTap like this.
  16. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Lol, thanks, Sub... My problem sometimes is that I've got TOO many "cups of tea", lol... But I love reggae and bluegrass JUST as much as rock, metal, and alternative... I'm kinda all over the place...

17. BarnyardShark1979

BarnyardShark1979 Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    Baltimore Maryland
    I've gotten some pretty QOTSAy sounds out of the DOD Boneshaker. Having all 3 EQ controls be parametric is really cool, if you put the bass freq control pretty high and the treble freq freq pretty low you can really sculpt the mid hump. Also, if you run a Muff into it, it can really fatten it up.

18. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    It sounds great!!

SquierTap and Angry Possum like this.
  19. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I think that is a smokin’ sound @SquierTap and I like the track

20. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Sounds awesome man, how'd you do the drums? I'm digging that snare tone.
    Can't wait to hear what you do for vocals.

Rodiebobw, SquierTap and Angry Possum like this.