My latest project. A Tele Build

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Angry Possum, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I do think it matters, maybe slightly if its a heavier body. Doesn't the sustain or resonance come from the strings, the pickups, bridge, saddles, nut, and tuners. I don't think a heavier guitar matters a whole lot IMO. I have heavy guitars and lighter guitars. Again IMO I don't think it really matters. You need the above mentioned components , to make it resonate.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I mounted the neck and the high E string vears off of the neck. The thin E is literally almost hanging off the fretboard when it gets close to the pickups. Look at pic. Ughhhh.

20200113_153727.jpg
    20200113_131305.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Rat cam 68 and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I'm really not liking these 3 barrel saddles one bit, I never had any luck with them. Intonation is way out. I worked painstakingly to get it right. Its still out. Gonna purchase another bridge with 6 individual saddles. Further... I'm getting a weird Sitar sound coming off a few strings. Could be the nut or those dam barrel saddles. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  4. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I saw that video awhile ago. I Love this guys yt channel. I learned a lot from him.

5. Merv_j

Merv_j Squier-Nut

Aug 6, 2017
    Lincoln uk
    Sorry, was looking for the right word!!!! I guess it's the lower horn, where your hand sits when your fretting the high notes! Mine was cut really rough inside there.
    C'mon.... I know there is a word for it, but I'm being a bit thick!!!!

6. seua

seua Squier-holic

Mar 23, 2014
    France
    what would you use for a butter colour?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  7. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    That sucks, Possum... Hate they're givin ya such trouble... I'm on the opposite side, myself... My '50's CV Tele has those barrel saddles, and that's been my first and only guitar with 'em... They're the old school round barrels, and LUCKILY they haven't given me any problems... I wanted to use 'em on this current HH Tele I'm buildin, but just to be sure, I ordered a chopped off Wilkinson with the compensated saddles... This'll be my first experience with 'em... So, hopefully they'll intonate okay... But I've been lookin at it, and hopefully it'll work alright, cause the bridge seems REALLY close to the bridge pup...

And I don't know for sure, but I bet with old school barrels, if EVERYTHING isn't EXACTLY right, they could be a headache... Make sure and let us know what ya do, and how it works... Good luck!

8. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Thanks, and glad to hear your good luck with the barrel saddles. Anyhow, I just purchased this on reverb. Because I have the 4 hole mount. Its called a Vintage Tele Bridge w 6 Saddles. $20. No brainer. And that cat is giving me two sets of saddles.

Screenshot_20200114-125103_Reverb.jpg

9. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Hey, best of both worlds! Make sure and let us know what ya think, hoss...

10. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The nut is probably what's causing the sitar-like sound. Drip a tiny bit of super glue in the nut slots for whatever strings are making that sound. Let it dry, then try it again and see if you still get that sound.

11. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
  12. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    I have been kinda waffly on the weight factor.. Had a buddy i learned to play with.. Fr had a Black Les paul in the day late 70s.. Couldnt even hold that beastie up for any time..lol.. it did sustain though..

13. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    After I install the 6 saddle bridge I'll let u peeps know how it fairs.

Rodiebobw and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  14. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Yes I'll try the nut sauce after I replace the bridge and install the string trees.

Rodiebobw and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  15. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    The Les Paul Pickups used back in the day were killer pickups, PAFs I believe they were 498Ts and or Burst buckers. Great pickups.... I'm gonna search the internet soon and find one of those killer les paul bridge pickups and put it in either my tele or strat.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Rodiebobw likes this.
  16. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    They were.. Not sure what he had in it, beautiful black monster..

I just couldnt hold it on my shoulder long.. lol.. My Melody maker like the squire..Trainer guitar or like a jr..

17. Rodiebobw

Rodiebobw Squier-Nut

Jan 12, 2020
    Rockwall, Tx.
    Yes he knows his craft.. Watched a vid of his earlier on a red Tele, he had a really cool trem for it..